Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Razor-Qt Desktop Still Being Developed, v0.5 Is Near

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Razor-Qt Desktop Still Being Developed, v0.5 Is Near

    Phoronix: Razor-Qt Desktop Still Being Developed, v0.5 Is Near

    While there hasn't been a new release since February, like the Trinity KDE 3.5 fork, the Razor-qt desktop environment continues to be actively developed. Razor-qt 0.5.0 will be released soon...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE3NTQ

  • #2
    Wayland anyone?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Drago View Post
      Wayland anyone?
      Razor-Qt doesn't provide its own window manager, so all that should be required for running under wayland is to compile against Qt 5.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ShadowBane View Post
        Razor-Qt doesn't provide its own window manager, so all that should be required for running under wayland is to compile against Qt 5.
        Isn't the API of qt 4.x different from that of qt 5.x? I'm pretty sure you can't just compile against qt 5 unless there's explicit support, I'm pretty disappointed I thought they'd support qt 5 in the 0.5.x branch.

        meh

        Comment


        • #5
          They could target wayland deployment, and be the first fully functional wayland DE. That is the way to gain popularity.

          Comment


          • #6
            I think most of the conversion from Qt4 to Qt5 can be automated - the next bit would be then making it work well and using some of the newer features

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
              Isn't the API of qt 4.x different from that of qt 5.x? I'm pretty sure you can't just compile against qt 5 unless there's explicit support, I'm pretty disappointed I thought they'd support qt 5 in the 0.5.x branch.

              meh
              If things go according to plan then updating to Qt 5.0 can mostly be done with automation. I'm sure there will be some work left over to be done by hand but it shouldn't be enormously time consuming especially for a relatively small project such as razor-qt.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Drago View Post
                They could target wayland deployment, and be the first fully functional wayland DE. That is the way to gain popularity.
                Makes perfect sense and this combo would be quite light and FAST if built properly.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Drago View Post
                  They could target wayland deployment, and be the first fully functional wayland DE. That is the way to gain popularity.
                  KWin will probably be the defualt window manager of Razor-Qt since their is a mailing post that says KWin could be Qt-based after KDE's Framwork 5 is released (since it would separate all of KDE into smaller packages). So, I doubt Qt-Razor would be Wayland complaint long berfore KDE 5!

                  Link (dated at February): https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...c/ddtz6ymaq8MJ

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CTown View Post
                    KWin will probably be the defualt window manager of Razor-Qt since their is a mailing post that says KWin could be Qt-based after KDE's Framwork 5 is released (since it would separate all of KDE into smaller packages). So, I doubt Qt-Razor would be Wayland complaint long berfore KDE 5!

                    Link (dated at February): https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...c/ddtz6ymaq8MJ
                    Sorry, it seems like Qt-Razor is not interested in a default window manager. I'm still convinced if KWin drops many of its KDE dependencies (I believe its part of KDE-Workspace at the moment) it would be the most used window manager for Razor-Qt (if it already isn't).

                    Sorry to double post but I cannot edit my post anymore.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      i Don`t think than razor is ready for wayland. For example razorqxt uses X11 defines for global key recognition ..

                      https://github.com/Razor-qt/razor-qt...eymapper_x11.h

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'm sure all these “Wayland?” questions popping up in every thread are just trolling.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                          I'm sure all these “Wayland?” questions popping up in every thread are just trolling.
                          Not necessarily...wayland is for real and it may well just become a lightweight alternative to traditional X and not replace it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                            I'm sure all these “Wayland?” questions popping up in every thread are just trolling.
                            Or maybe it's the new "But can it run Crysis?".

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                              Not necessarily...wayland is for real and it may well just become a lightweight alternative to traditional X and not replace it.
                              It may become in the future but right now there is not even a single somewhat mainstream distribution that even ships Wayland. First Wayland 1.0 with a stable API has to ship, then toolkits using that API have to ship, then distributions have to ship it along with Wayland-compatible SDK files, and only then can applications adapt to it.

                              Phoronix reports thoroughly on Wayland. It should be clear that distributions will start to pick up Wayland in the coming autumn cycle and ship compatible toolkits in the spring cycle. Not a single Phoronix reader can seriously ask before mid-2013 if anything ships with Wayland support.

                              Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                              Or maybe it's the new "But can it run Crysis?".
                              Which is practically the definition of trolling.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X