Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE 4.10 KWin To Properly Support AMD Catalyst

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Well, that's kind of a funny situation. KWin now supports Catalyst. Catalyst no longer supports my graphics card. :\ Oh well, at least r600g is awesome.
    Direct rendering fix also included into Catalyst Legacy driver.

    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Compiz - uses indirect rendering only
    Gnome Shell - uses direct rendering only, which is why it was broken when you ran with fglrx
    KWin - made it optional and defaulted fglrx to indirect rendering since it was broken otherwise
    Gnome Shell was broken not only because of problems with direct rendering.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      Compiz - uses indirect rendering only
      Gnome Shell - uses direct rendering only, which is why it was broken when you ran with fglrx
      KWin - made it optional and defaulted fglrx to indirect rendering since it was broken otherwise
      Compiz can use Direct or Indirect rendering, and has had the option for many years. I haven't had to use indirect rendering in a really long time, but i think i still have a laptop kicking around with a radeon card that required the --indirect-rendering flag to be passed when starting compiz (or via compiz-icon option).

      Comment


      • #23
        Talking about OpenGL, isn't it that in order to use some of the functions of more recent OGL versions, you have to use GLSL? That makes everything a lot more complicated if trying to do something simple, like a 2D game.

        Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
        Direct rendering fix also included into Catalyst Legacy driver.
        And when KDE 4.10 is released, the legacy driver will no longer support the kernel/X server of the day.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          And when KDE 4.10 is released, the legacy driver will no longer support the kernel/X server of the day.
          Nobody stopping you from using KWIN_DIRECT_GL=1 with KDE 4.8 or 4.9 for example in Kubuntu LTS or Debian Wheezy, or from using radeon driver instead of fglrx in any dsitribution, etc.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            Talking about OpenGL, isn't it that in order to use some of the functions of more recent OGL versions, you have to use GLSL? That makes everything a lot more complicated if trying to do something simple, like a 2D game.
            True, many of the recent functions aren't available in GL ASM (they are in Nvidia ASM extensions though). But to say that one doing a simple 2d game would prefer GL ASM to GLSL is, well, a bit uncommon

            Or did you mean GLSL compared to fixed pipe?

            Comment

            Working...
            X