Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disk Improvements Within GNOME 3.6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Disk Improvements Within GNOME 3.6

    Phoronix: Disk Improvements Within GNOME 3.6

    While disk management improvements might not be the first thing you think of when it comes to a desktop environment update, the disk utility (Disks) and udev within GNOME 3.6 will offer some new features...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE1MzE

  • #2
    I wonder what features they're going to drop though.

    Probably something trivial and non-touch-friendly like SMART data.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by johnc View Post
      I wonder what features they're going to drop though.

      Probably something trivial and non-touch-friendly like SMART data.
      Nice trolling. It is a shame you didnt RTFA. Now you just look silly. They added features. If you want to read about feature removals go check out Kwin. They started to rip out stuff in despair of bugs and umaintained cruft.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
        Nice trolling. It is a shame you didnt RTFA. Now you just look silly. They added features. If you want to read about feature removals go check out Kwin. They started to rip out stuff in despair of bugs and umaintained cruft.
        I may have missed something but if I recall correctly it was just one feature: tile based window management. And yes in my experience it was a buggy mess that shouldn't have been accepted in the first place, but being optional there wasn't much harm for the few releases it lasted.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
          Nice trolling. It is a shame you didnt RTFA. Now you just look silly. They added features. If you want to read about feature removals go check out Kwin. They started to rip out stuff in despair of bugs and umaintained cruft.
          He is not trolling, he _did_ read the article. He is fully aware features were added. His point is that Gnome actually added features for once since gnome 3. He is simply commenting on the usual behavior of the gnome development team. Adding features is a rare occurence. Removing them is often. His point about non-tocuh friendly is refrencing Gnome butchering nautilus because many features were simply not touch friendly. Anyone with 2 brain cells who has followed gnome development in the last month could figure out what he was referencing.

          They started to rip out stuff in despair of bugs and umaintained cruft.
          It's called deprecation. Few people used tiling windows and it was buggy, so they removed it. It's kinda what gnome did to the entire gnome 2.x code base.

          You're making yourself look silly.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
            He is simply commenting on the usual behavior of the gnome development team. Adding features is a rare occurence. Removing them is often. His point about non-tocuh friendly is refrencing Gnome butchering nautilus because many features were simply not touch friendly.
            bingo. they're on this "simplification" kick. so i found this article to be quite a turn-around.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
              I may have missed something but if I recall correctly it was just one feature: tile based window management. And yes in my experience it was a buggy mess that shouldn't have been accepted in the first place, but being optional there wasn't much harm for the few releases it lasted.
              It wasn't even a permanent removal, they said a port to the new kwin scripting framework is already underway.

              Comment

              Working...
              X