The Future Of GNOME: Very Optimistic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ninez View Post
    with the time they spent fixing build errors, renaming software to stop conflicts, while also making small changes to nautilus - they could have written the missing components they wanted for Gnome 3 and had time to spare ~ Fork gnome-panel, add a few missing features, etc. Mate at best is a band-aid.
    This +1.

I must admit that I am disappointed at the state of the panel in Gnome 3 Fallback Mode as it is currently in Fedora 17, but other than that I have little to no complaints about the classic interface.

Comment

Originally posted by rrohbeck
      I think Mate with Gtk3 and some selectively merged Gnome3 changes/apps would be the right thing to do for RedHat.
      Yeah, and maybe that'll happen in four or five years time, if they developers haven't given up by then. The only way the MATE developers are going to get to Gtk 3 is by throwing out most of the Gnome 2 code they've inherited, and starting again based on the work the Gnome 3 devs have already done.

Comment

Originally posted by grege View Post
        I keep reading the constant rehash that Gnome Shell is a tablet interface. Rubbish. Gnome Shell is way too mouse centric
        Not at all... I find Shell to be just as good as the old Gnome 2 UI as far as keyboard support is concerned. What is it that you want to do, that can't be done without a mouse?

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
          The outlook for Gnome3 wasn't so optimistic http://www.osnews.com/story/26227/GN...nto_the_abyss_
          Yes, well - heaven forbid that different people have different opinions. Benjamin Otte might be unhappy with Gnome direction (or lack thereof), but that doesn't mean others can't hold more positive views.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
            This +1.

I must admit that I am disappointed at the state of the panel in Gnome 3 Fallback Mode as it is currently in Fedora 17, but other than that I have little to no complaints about the classic interface.
            Umm, "fallback mode" was dropped in favor of offering gnome shell through llvmpipe in 3.4, was it not?

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
              Umm, "fallback mode" was dropped in favor of offering gnome shell through llvmpipe in 3.4, was it not?
              It is still there with Fedora 17 which is using 3.4. And so far I have not seen the llvmpipe implementation being used on any of my machines. It is either Shell or being booted back into Fallback.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                Not at all... I find Shell to be just as good as the old Gnome 2 UI as far as keyboard support is concerned. What is it that you want to do, that can't be done without a mouse?
                My point was that it is not a suitable as tablet interface. You also cannot use keyboard shortcuts on a tablet.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                  not really, other than maybe in some 'official default' capacity.

/usr/bin/gnome-panel is still shipped and (although i already covered this in another post) Fallback is nothing more than a .session file, with a list of required components for the desktop. This applies to Unity, GS, fallback/classic or any combo you can come up with on your desktop. As soon as you remove Gnome-Shell from your session file (or create a .session file without it), you won't be using GS with h/w acceleration or llvmpipe (because you wont be using GSA at all

here is gnome.session (aka Gnome-Shell);

RequiredComponents=gnome-shell;gnome-settings-daemon;
                  IsRunnableHelper=/usr/lib/gnome-session/gnome-session-check-accelerated
                  FallbackSession=gnome-fallback
                  not much to see here, GS + GSD ... has a H/W accel check and then passes it off to FallbackSession, if it fails(?) or uses llvmpipe(?)

fallback/classic;

RequiredComponents=gnome-panel;gnome-settings-daemon;
                  RequiredProviders=windowmanager;notifications;
                  DefaultProvider-windowmanager=metacity
                  DefaultProvider-notifications=notification-daemon
                  So really, fallback is pretty much just gnome-panel + metacity. which is expected. and here is cinnamon just for kicks;

[GNOME Session]
                  Name=Cinnamon
                  RequiredComponents=cinnamon;gnome-settings-daemon;
                  IsRunnableHelper=/usr/lib/gnome-session/gnome-session-check-accelerated
                  FallbackSession=gnome-fallback
                  DesktopName=GNOME

Comment

Originally posted by grege View Post
                    I keep reading the constant rehash that Gnome Shell is a tablet interface. Rubbish. Gnome Shell is way too mouse centric.
                    For that reasoning, any interface can be adapted for tablet with configuration. I would say Gnome Shell is more keyboard > mouse centric. For example, to access an application like terminal, Super Key -> type 'terminal' or Alt+F2 -> type 'terminal'.

Comment

Originally posted by rrohbeck
                      Servers generally have unaccelerated graphics with *old* graphics graphic controllers and IPMI and I don't see that changing any time soon.
                      Which means that RHEL will not use Gnome3 in its current state.
                      I expect RedHat/Fedora to switch to Mate pretty soon.
                      And then Gnome will have a bright future indeed.
                      If Fedora reverts back to the old Start-Menu and taskbar stuff, I am going to remove it from my netbook and install some KDE instead with plasma or a distribution where one can choose the DE without breaking everything

Comment

Working...
                      X