Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Is Losing Relevance On The Linux Desktop

Phoronix: GNOME Is Losing Relevance On The Linux Desktop

By now many of you have likely seen the blog post by GNOME's Benjamin Otte where he argues that GNOME is staring into the abyss, but if you have not, it's worth reading...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE0ODI

So, not even considering KDE? I'd love to know your reasoning. I'm genuinely curious, since I have been using KDE at work for some time (on and off). I'd like to know what a Gnome user thinks about KDE.

Comment

Re

Never thought of KDE as an alternative?
      Just once go through all it's "System Settings" and if you don't fall in love than go for the other Desktop Environments...

Comment

Why dont use linux compatible laptop

I prefer Linux compatible laptop like those of fujistus or dell or hp instead of virtualized distro on top of mac. debian is best option.

Comment

If gnome 3 hadn't fucked up the UX and user interface maybe there wouldn't have been a need for this.

My hope lies to E17 people (and someone that will make a theme without blink)

Comment

Unity is excellent. I used to switch distros often, but the distro wars are basicly over for me. Ubuntu is done well, and whenever I hear someone saying it was bloated or whatever, I laugh at them.

Comment

projects and problems

every project face a lot of problems in front. highlignting and brainstorming helps to solve them.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                Unity is excellent. I used to switch distros often, but the distro wars are basicly over for me. Ubuntu is done well, and whenever I hear someone saying it was bloated or whatever, I laugh at them.
                I'm in the same boat.

Comment

I really don't like GNOME 3.x , KDE 4.x and even worse , UNITY.

For me is for a long time already XFCE or LXDE.
                  Last edited by AJSB; 07-28-2012, 07:39 AM.

Comment

In the past, I've always installed Gnome on the computers that are too old or slow for KDE, or otherwise, the computers that I have to KNOW is not going to crash.

But, ever since KDE 4.7, even my 7 year old PC that I'm using as a server/media-center is running it perfectly happily without needing a single reboot. With all the eye candies and everything working perfectly. And for the REALLY old 10/12 year old laptops, that are still refusing to die, I put Xfce on, because it has become feature rich enough to keep me perfectly happy, while running incredibly smoothly.

But the thing is that both KDE and Xfce know who they are, and what they are trying to accomplish. And if you fall outside of their target markets: So what? Use what makes you happy. But, Gnome has this mentality of trying to please everyone at once. Which, admittedly, they sort-of managed to do in the past. But, the technology world is rapidly becomes so huge, and diversified that I don't think it's an option anymore. Now, more than ever, you have to know who you are, who your target market is, and what you can bring to the table that no one else can.

For Gnome's sake, I seriously hope that they can cultivate some good leadership that will (re)define the role they have to play in the grand scheme of linuxy things.

Comment

Some of these problems are not GNOME-specific.

> GNOME is understaffed.
                      Most open-source projects are understaffed (maybe Linux is one of the exceptions, although I can't figure out any one else.)

> GNOME is a Red Hat project.
                      There are many such projects, for example:
                      Unity is a Canonical project (was, at least)
                      Qt was a Trolltech project.

> GNOME has no goals.
                      Windows is also losing its goals. In any aspect i can't image Metro is the UI developed for people to work on it.
                      The problem is, the mobile world is confusing developers of DEs.

Comment

...many still have more fond memories of the GNOME 2.x desktop.
                        What memories? I'm still using it. I also use Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit version and I'm not going anywhere from here until I will find a distribution with updated kernel and Gnome 2.32. Long live Gnome 2. For me Gnome 3 is the worst desktop environment I have ever test. I had to search on Google to find the Shutdown button. WTF?

Comment

Michael --

You want a "production laptop"? I think I've struck gold. And you don't need a Mac. Just a nice, sturdy laptop with IVB.

Get a Lenovo ThinkPad T530 with integrated graphics and the beautiful 1920x1080 display. Or, if you insist on having Optimus, you can do that too - the BIOS can let you boot in Integrated mode until we have Optimus support in the open source drivers

The reason I think this is a production laptop is that the Ivy Bridge open source drivers are AMAZING. The experience on Linux (Fedora 17 specifically) is amazing. It's even suitable for light gaming: I've played a few MMOs within Wine, I've played native games like HoN and Savage 2 and Ren'Py games (the latter of which while not graphics intensive, does use OpenGL). The Intel drivers aren't just "compelling"; they're ready for production use for everything but playing Oil Rush. And even then, the game will run and kind of play, just not fast. If you get the Optimus version, you can switch the BIOS to discrete mode and get a 92 CUDA-core Fermi GPU. If that's not enough, get the W530 instead (same size but more power consumption) with a K1000 or K2000 kepler chip with more than twice as many CUDA cores.

Since you already use a Linux distro as your primary desktop, it's not a big leap to just use a laptop that already has great hardware support on Linux. Every single component of this T530 is natively supported with no hacks, except for Optimus, but even that is optional. And the nice thing is that you can switch between Integrated and Discrete as you wish until Optimus is officially supported, and this lets you choose between (a) KMS + decent OpenGL + excellent 2D (SNA) and (b) top-end OpenGL 4.x performance (nvidia binary). If you can stop messing with it for 5 minutes and leave your driver experiments for your other boxes, you shouldn't have to break the box to enjoy it as a production system.

Also, for a DE, give Cinnamon (another) serious look. If you appreciate the general paradigm of the Gnome 2 or Windows UI, where you have a start menu in the bottom left and a taskbar and your systray in the bottom right, you'll be right at home. Regarding Benjamin's post, I think the main reason that Gnome is staring into the abyss is that they suck at listening to users. Users don't want Gnome Shell; what they really want is Cinnamon. Not giving users what they want is a great way to lose them, especially when there's absolutely zero vendor lockin.
                          Last edited by allquixotic; 07-28-2012, 09:20 AM.

Comment

I did the DE shuffle again recently, having been a GNOME 2 user for years. I looked at XFCE, MATE, GNOME Shell, Cinnamon and KDE. Unfortunately, since maintainership of Compiz has flagged, and really only functionality required for Unity has been maintained it's in a pretty broken state ATM, which means XFCE and MATE were quickly eliminated (it's the lack of scale, tile, etc that I can't do without). I'd previously been using GNOME Shell, but due to the limitations and broken keybindings (Super is special and painful to bind?!), and general effort required to do basic things like navigate desktops, that's out too. Cinnamon helps GNOME Shell a little, but still inherits most of the suck, and additionally the GNOME Shell extensions (one thing they did right) no longer function, and you're left with the limited selection that are compatible, so that's out too (anything that uses Mutter with non-MESA GLX is really painful too - horrible text rendering performance amongst other things).

And so we have KDE 4.8. As a long-time hater of KDE, I'm amazed to find... I don't hate it. In fact, a few weeks in it's pretty damn good - everything is available for keybindings, which is a big win for me, and most things work as expected. There are some issues - connecting/disconnecting external monitors kind of sucks, since it makes you configure them every time, but at least it pops up a dialogue to do so, and the dialogue works as expected. I also recommend turning off all the indexing stuff for laptop use (Akonadi and Nepomuk), since they're pretty heavy-weight - Akonadi requires MySQL as a backend. That does lose you some features, like calendar events in the clock dropdown, but oh well. And the KDE PIM software sucks, KMail is particularly bad so it's back to Thunderbird there, no great loss. The rest of the bundled apps work pretty well out of the box.

Hopefully as they get a few more users jump ship some of the edges can be smoothed off, but KDE is now my daily driver - I didn't see that coming at all.

Comment

I still can't understand how people can NOT like Gnom3. I mean, it's the most comfortable and the most easiest to use desktop environment there is.

You can control everything with your keyboard if you want to, you can control also everything with your mouse. You can do a hybrid version. The ways you've to 'go' with your mouse are extreme short and logical.

The only real thing that bugs me out is that they removed the shutdown button but even that can be added by a plug-in.

Comment

Working...
                              X