Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment E17 Is Going To Be Released

Phoronix: Enlightenment E17 Is Going To Be Released

Enlightenment E17 is actually going to be released, claims the project. There's now a release manager responsible for getting this window manager out the door after this version of Enlightenment was started back in 2000...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEzNTg

The end of the world is nigh! I'm sure that E17 getting released was one of the signs of the apocalypse.

Disclaimer: I am a big fan of E17, and use it on my home and work desktop. Been using it for years.

Comment

It's still ahead of the Duke Nukem Forever schedule. What's next, a stable release of GNU HURD?

Comment

Why does everbody believe that without confirmation of an offical source? The blog is not one!
        Something like that should be at leat on e.org or a connected blog!

The EFL are already stable, the blog states otherwise?!

And its very strange that there is no indication who the "e17releasemanager" is, very uncommon in the E universe!

Comment

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
          It's still ahead of the Duke Nukem Forever schedule. What's next, a stable release of GNU HURD?
          sorry but Duke NF beat it a year ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVuuyRGB_BA

you lost the bet.

Comment

Originally posted by bug! View Post
            Why does everbody believe that without confirmation of an offical source? The blog is not one!

And its very strange that there is no indication who the "e17releasemanager" is, very uncommon in the E universe!
            "e17releasemanager" is probably another unofficial Michael blog.

Comment

When it's released, will there be an uproar from users saying that e16 was soooo much better like there was with Gnome3 and KDE4?

I kid. Good to see this finally making it out the door. I might set up a bodhi vm to see how they're coming along.

F

Comment

Originally posted by bug! View Post

Michael just added that blog, but I assure you that it is official.

You can look at some of his work on e17 here :

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/f...ightenment-svn

that blog is not a fake, we really want to release e17.

Comment

With so much dev time this had, is there a 0-bug(TM) guarantee? :-D

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    of course !

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                      sorry but Duke NF beat it a year ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVuuyRGB_BA

you lost the bet.
                      What I meant was that Duke Nukem Forever took 14 years from start of development to release, E17 is currently at 12 years. Plus it was a joke.

Comment

With the over-decade long dev time, I expect some grand ceremony should it actually be released.

Like, renting a huge cruiser, going in the middle of the atlantic, have Linus arrive in a helicopter with strippers to sprinkle the new release with holy penguin pee. Maybe have Cook and Gates around too.

Though, with the world ending on Dec 21, I expect the release to be tagged at 23:59 on Dec 20 and the actual release (tarballs, news, etc) to never make it out before the end of the world.

Comment

I really do hope for a good and soon release. The world is already in need for a small and performant window manager. I can run KDE still on older systems but E17 would probably be a real blast there. Also I want it on my AMD Geode 500 MHz. I could even think about using something like it as a main desktop on my quad core. Just because it get the job done, reacts really turbo fast and everything. It helps me working but doesn't keep me from it. Mhm, I really need something that combines the functionality and configurability of KDE with the speed of E17 and the resource usage of twm (I actually use it, really! Sometimes. And it hurts.).

Aunt Edith says:
                          That would be a project I'd love to crowdfund. Finance a developer to get the bugs squashed.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                            Like the guy on the first page, I use E17 at work and at home, and I'm having good luck with it. I recently had close to 200 days of uptime on my home box, where I game (under wine mostly) and stream movies quite a bit. I lost my uptime due to my daughter unplugging the surge protector a month or two ago :|

Comment

hmmm...

Frankly,

I felt that steam on linux was more likely (before it was recently confirmed I mean).

But hey, Duke Nuke 'Em forever is out, GNU/hurd is in a *relatively* usable state... so why not?

Comment

Working...
                              X