Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.5.3 Bulks On Changes For GNOME 3.6

Phoronix: GNOME 3.5.3 Bulks On Changes For GNOME 3.6

The latest GNOME 3.5 development release is now available with a lot of changes as the developers prepare to issue the final GNOME 3.6 desktop release in late September...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEzMzY

I enjoy trying the gnome 3.x live usb spins but the fact wireless (for my hardware) doesn't work out the box is a real barrier to testing these images.

Comment

Most of that is nonsense social networking brain rot bullshit.
      The only one of those that is even remotely interesting, is the "nautilus" changes..... however, there is no indication if they're fixing something (unlikely), or making it worse (most probable).

Comment

So.. just cosmetic BS and no usability improvements. I miss those days when KDE had some real competition

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          The only one of those that is even remotely interesting, is the "nautilus" changes..... however, there is no indication if they're fixing something (unlikely), or making it worse (most probable).
          http://www.muktware.com/3821/nautilu...-over-gnome-36

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
            So.. just cosmetic BS and no usability improvements. I miss those days when KDE had some real competition
            KDE is still being used? Fascinating.
            BTW, don't watch the Star Wars prequel. It suckz.

Comment

well gnome is dead been dead since they dropped old layout. Just anoether toy DE for developers to have fun, couse is nice inventing new stuff like reinventing the wheel when is no need. Kde didnt change their desktop paradigm they just rewrote everything, i still have the same bottom panel still can have old classic look in the menu, and after years of gnome 2 usage Kde.4.8 has come to have same CPU and mem usage as old gnome 2. But well linux is choise so their is a place for everyone to coexist even for the crapy Gnome3 .

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                KDE is still being used? Fascinating.
                BTW, don't watch the Star Wars prequel. It suckz.
                It seems so! http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...he-year-919888
                http://spins.fedoraproject.org/

Comment

Holly cow! this is getting very very sad.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    What social network rubbish are you talking about?

Comment

the article doesn't mention one of the best changes in Gnome 3.6: there will be a power off button in the menu by default - not necessary to press the Alt key anymore
                      also planned are huge improvements to the Orca screenreader, a new font viewer application, improvements to app menus and probably a new note application (accoding to this german article: Designteam forciert App-Menüs für Gnome 3.6), and a design overhaul for some applications.

I'm curious about the new note application. But IMHO gnote is already good enough and the best note application I know
                      Last edited by Fenrin; 07-06-2012, 04:48 AM.

Comment

So basically: if a feature doesn't work well with touch it get dumped. I wonder if the developers write code on touch screens as well. It doesn't sound like they can think beyond that use case any more.

Comment

As much as I prefer gnome 3 over gnome 2, and am baffled by some of the hate, I have to admit these modifications to nautilus seem to be designed merely to irritate people.

Tree view isn't on by default. There is no reason for tablet users to get confused. Lets hope is just another silly move they u-turn on; as they seem to have eventually done in adding a power off.

Comment

Working...
                          X