Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME & Mono Made Love At Microsoft Last Week

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GNOME & Mono Made Love At Microsoft Last Week

    Phoronix: GNOME & Mono Made Love At Microsoft Last Week

    The "GNOME and Mono Festival of Love 2012" has now ended in Boston, which was taking place at one of Microsoft's research and development centers...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEzMjM

  • #2
    good to see some advancement in the apps.

    and lol nice pic.

    Comment


    • #3
      So now Gnome is infected with Mono?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Kivada View Post
        So now Gnome is infected with Mono?
        Not funny

        And

        Gnome has had mono bindings (and entire apps written in mono languages) for years, so in the case you weren't being sarcastic, get over it... it's been around for several years now.

        We should make sure that any work we collaborate with Microsoft on is licensed under a copyleft license (such as GPLv2, or ideally GPLv3) so that they can't take advantage of us. If we can accomplish that much, I'd say that dealing with them is perfectly OK. Let them spend money on the gnome community and they won't be able to "embrace and extend" our software without sharing their source changes, which would just let us make a non-MSFT distribution containing all their improvements but without the bits we don't want.

        Comment


        • #5
          Ah thats the idea.

          MS destroys the Linux desktop by making it so *innovative*, nobody can use it anymore.

          Comment


          • #6
            Indeed. The anti-MS bigots should probably avoid ever using C or C++, since Microsoft hosts meetings for the ISO committee as well. Or JavaScript, or Python, or Ruby, or Bash (yeah, really), all used within Microsoft. Or libraries like SQLite, Lua, zlib, libpng, etc. that have been used in or even funded by Microsoft. Oh, right, fuck, Microsoft contributes code to the Linux kernel now, too. Time to abandon Linux and switch to something which one of Microsoft's 180,000 employees+contractors hasn't taken an interest in, I guess.

            Comment


            • #7
              I agree with allquixotic, dont let MS take advantage over Linux.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                Indeed. The anti-MS bigots should probably avoid ever using C or C++, since Microsoft hosts meetings for the ISO committee as well. Or JavaScript, or Python, or Ruby, or Bash (yeah, really), all used within Microsoft. Or libraries like SQLite, Lua, zlib, libpng, etc. that have been used in or even funded by Microsoft. Oh, right, fuck, Microsoft contributes code to the Linux kernel now, too. Time to abandon Linux and switch to something which one of Microsoft's 180,000 employees+contractors hasn't taken an interest in, I guess.
                They're still experimenting with your dosages, I see.

                But seriously, I remember reading an interview with Steve Ballmer where he said very specifically that he intended to "beat Linux at it's own game." It was a pretty sinister statement when taken along with the rest of the piece. When coupled with Microsoft's known policy of Embrace, Extend, Extinguish, caution and a little zeal here might not be a bad idea. We probably should watch them like a hawk when they start acting all warm and fuzzy.

                You can't talk your way out of a situation you've behaved yourself into.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I just threw up a little in my mouth there.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I always remember why GTK was started....... because of Qt license! And now, GTK is full of Microsofts stuff....... there has to be something wrong with the community.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                      I always remember why GTK was started....... because of Qt license! And now, GTK is full of Microsofts stuff....... there has to be something wrong with the community.
                      Whoot? GTK+ full of MS stuff? Did I miss something?

                      Btw. Does anybody here reject the Linux Kernel, just because MS contributed code to it?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        bulletxt
                        I always remember why GTK was started....... because of Qt license! And now, GTK is full of Microsofts stuff....... there has to be something wrong with the community.
                        What is the issue if MS play the game of open source by using open source licence?
                        Microsoft guy are just human and the y change their mind because the real ennemies is apple/google now ...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Currently MSIL is dead. Micrsoft failed to get all the OS players to adopt it.

                          If it's not a standard and innate on devices, then it can't succeed.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by oleid View Post
                            Whoot? GTK+ full of MS stuff? Did I miss something?

                            Btw. Does anybody here reject the Linux Kernel, just because MS contributed code to it?
                            A few years ago Gnome started to adopt Mono(MSIL/C#) programmed applciations and utilties as their defactos, for installers.

                            People say Microsoft is Mono, indirctly, even though C# is an ECMA standard.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                              Indeed. The anti-MS bigots should probably avoid ever using C or C++, since Microsoft hosts meetings for the ISO committee as well. Or JavaScript, or Python, or Ruby, or Bash (yeah, really), all used within Microsoft. Or libraries like SQLite, Lua, zlib, libpng, etc. that have been used in or even funded by Microsoft. Oh, right, fuck, Microsoft contributes code to the Linux kernel now, too. Time to abandon Linux and switch to something which one of Microsoft's 180,000 employees+contractors hasn't taken an interest in, I guess.
                              Pro MS biggots seems to forget MS is the most evil company to Linux ever. Wow, MS contributes code to kernel to support MS products. I'm dying of happiness. Just FU moron.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X