Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE No Longer Competitive? Developer Calls It Quits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    the same is true for KDE per se, somehow KDE in kubuntu is really buggy and is very crashyish but when you switch to sabayon/gentoo/arch/opensuse it rarely fails(at least for me), so it seems that ubuntu variants distro just care about of gnome when they ninja crappy patch/nerf many packages and just leave KDE in the air(kde network manager in kubuntu how much white hair you gived me?)
    kde 4.8 on kubuntu 12.04 has probably never ever crashed for me.
    Maybe i'm lucky!

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by VeganProvolone View Post
      kde 4.8 on kubuntu 12.04 has probably never ever crashed for me.
      Maybe i'm lucky!
      I've managed to crash a pocket calculator. You're lucky.

      Comment


      • #48
        From Linux problems:

        Money: I predicted years ago that FOSS developers would start drifting away from the platform as FOSS is no longer a playground, it requires substantial efforts and time, i.e. the fun is over, developers want real money to get the really hard work done. FOSS development, which lacks financial backing, shows its fatigue and disillusionment. The FOSS platform after all requires financially motivated developers as underfunded projects start to wane.
        Last edited by birdie; 06-26-2012, 05:12 PM.

        Comment


        • #49
          I think, as peter points out, nowadays applications had become really bloated behind the scenes with no major usability improvements.
          Last edited by Alex Sarmiento; 06-26-2012, 05:02 PM.

          Comment


          • #50
            There are still annoying bugs and regressions in KDE. I love it just as much anyway. The kde-pim suite has had a rough ride, but is shaping up nicely. Last critical regression I have seen there should be gone with 4.9 (autocompletion of address book entries). Of course, support for various groupware protocols have taken it's time, but even that seems to shape up now (will probably need another release cycle for proprietary offerings). On the positive side, there really is too much to cover in a forum post. KDE has everything, and then some. I will continue contributing to KDE.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by birdie View Post
              Yeah, that sums it up. Why do something for free in a shitty online environment filled with whiny self-entitled Linux users when you can get paid six figures to do stuff in an awesome office environment with a user-insulating QA department?

              Comment


              • #52
                What?

                Originally posted by Larian View Post
                A few distributions have abandoned KDE lately
                May I ask which distributions?

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  Rather from moron problems.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                    Yeah, that sums it up. Why do something for free in a shitty online environment filled with whiny self-entitled Linux users when you can get paid six figures to do stuff in an awesome office environment with a user-insulating QA department?
                    It sums up your idiotic bullshit. There's even stated "it's not Linux to Windows comparison", but morons tend to ignore this. Why do something in a shitty expensive environment filled with whiny masochistic winblows morons when you can get much better out of the box experience for free by using the awesome Linux operating system? There's full of MS shit in your head. Thankfully this dos crap with 3D layer is going to end when Linux get games and software. It's illogical and moronic to use and pay for full of security holes virus ware crap.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                      Rather from moron problems.
                      Luckily you are on my ignore list. Your words clearly indicate the level (not the lowest, just missing entirely) of argumentation you can provide.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by birdie View Post
                        Luckily you are on my ignore list. Your words clearly indicate the level (not the lowest, just missing entirely) of argumentation you can provide.
                        If I ever care. I don't care about idiots and you're the one without any logic in your posts. I can destroy your moronic list if you want just to make you and other morons look even more stupid. But what do I get for this? Btw. while I'm on your ignore list how the hell your know what I wrote? It's so stupid, you know? Oh, you don't.
                        Last edited by kraftman; 06-26-2012, 05:22 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          So what?

                          Developers come to and leave FOSS projects all the time. Heck, even the KDE initiator uses GNOME since years. So what?
                          There are parts within KDE that are not doing well and there parts that do well. As it's all modular, it's easy to use alternatives. E.g. I do not use Konqueror or Rekonq as web browser but Firefox.
                          Peter leaving is sad but the world is not ending. Dolphin is in good shape and a new maintainer is already filling the gap. Hey, maybe it's for the better?
                          Who would've thought that KWin would so greatly improve after Lubos Lunak was reassigned by his employer Novell to work on OpenOffice/LibreOffice. Martin stepped in and turned KWin fron a second-grade WM to the best out there.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                            Rather from moron problems.
                            I have encountered many of the problems listed there. They are annoying, and it's impossible to work around them.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by asdx
                              File bug reports then
                              There was never a need to file a bug report because all bugs I encountered were already in the bug tracker. In most cases they were even filed a long time before the relase. The project manager of that piece of software just didn't care and released his code none the less.

                              Originally posted by asdx
                              or even fix them yourself and then contribute the fixes back to the code. Or do some work to improve the test suite so that you make sure there are tests in place to avoid regressions.
                              Honestly? I would do that if there were only a few KDE projects which needed help with proper QA. The truth however is that most of the KDE projects are in desperate need of QA. You can't work your way into the code of each and every project. Besides the way they handle their relases shows me that many of the KDE developers have absolutely no interest in proper QA. They don't delay releases, they never revert back to an older version of a project, they never release an early bugfix release but instead they just go on, no matter how bad the release is.

                              Of course there are also some people within the KDE community who do care about quality. The kwin developer for example is such an exception.

                              However, just looking at the taskbar, which still does not work properly 4.5 years after the release of 4.0, shows me that there is no point in trying to improve QA because the developers just don't care about it. Come on, the TASKBAR, one of the most basic items of a desktop environment is still unable to align icons properly!

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                                Developers come to and leave FOSS projects all the time. Heck, even the KDE initiator uses GNOME since years. So what?
                                There are parts within KDE that are not doing well and there parts that do well. As it's all modular, it's easy to use alternatives. E.g. I do not use Konqueror or Rekonq as web browser but Firefox.
                                Peter leaving is sad but the world is not ending. Dolphin is in good shape and a new maintainer is already filling the gap. Hey, maybe it's for the better?
                                Who would've thought that KWin would so greatly improve after Lubos Lunak was reassigned by his employer Novell to work on OpenOffice/LibreOffice. Martin stepped in and turned KWin fron a second-grade WM to the best out there.
                                Who is the KDE initiator uses GNOME now?
                                Nice comment overall

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X