Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Second Beta Of KDE SC 4.9 Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Second Beta Of KDE SC 4.9 Released

    Phoronix: A Second Beta Of KDE SC 4.9 Released

    Just one week after the first KDE SC 4.9 beta, a second beta of this six-month KDE desktop update is now available with more fixes...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTExODk

  • #2
    Always when I tried KDE, I found it very pretty, but I found it difficult to use.

    The interface would be cluttered with buttons, menus, toolbars and stuff. They would cram as much as features and functionality into the GUI as possible.
    I'd get overwhelmed by it. It lacks simplicity.

    Also, I find it too difficult to use the KDE start menu, it required too much effort, navigation and clicks.

    Comment


    • #3
      You can configure it to your own needs, also you can use classic mode for menu as well. Basically it is very similar to win - unity is however very different.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        AThe interface would be cluttered with buttons, menus, toolbars and stuff. They would cram as much as features and functionality into the GUI as possible.
        I'd get overwhelmed by it. It lacks simplicity.
        The beaty of KDE is its customizability. You can decide what buttons are shown in toolbar and in what size and with text or not or disable it completely. You can hide the menubar completely. move it to titlebar, use global menu or hide it under a button. You can decide what buttons are shown in titlebar and in what order or disable it completely. Usually all UI elements can be moved or hidden completely if desired. The same is true for the desktop. It's based completely on plasmoids that you can move, resize, remove or replace. There are at least five different menus you can use for example.

        Here's a screenshot of my minimal KDE setup.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re

          Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Always when I tried KDE, I found it very pretty, but I found it difficult to use.

          The interface would be cluttered with buttons, menus, toolbars and stuff. They would cram as much as features and functionality into the GUI as possible.
          I'd get overwhelmed by it. It lacks simplicity.

          Also, I find it too difficult to use the KDE start menu, it required too much effort, navigation and clicks.
          When I do a fresh install I always take my time to go through the System Settings and configure it to my liking...
          Recommend you doing the same, it's really awesome how you can make it just the way you want it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
            When I do a fresh install I always take my time to go through the System Settings and configure it to my liking...
            Recommend you doing the same, it's really awesome how you can make it just the way you want it.
            The fact that just about everyone has to spend hours configuring KDE after they install it, means the designers got it wrong. I used to go through this rigmarole until Gnome 3 came along, now if I need to tweak the appearance at a fine level I just crack open a .js file (so I don't bother), and the interface only exposes buttons I'll actually ever need. Life is easier now.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Teho View Post
              Here's a screenshot of my minimal KDE setup.
              Very nice - how did you do this? I can't find the option to put the menubar in the titlebar. And what icon theme are you using?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
                The fact that just about everyone has to spend hours configuring KDE after they install it, means the designers got it wrong.
                I doubt that many do but at least it's possible. The defaults are quite good altough I don't personally agree on everything. What brought me to Linux in a first place was the possibility to configure absolutely everything to my liking. I don't know about others but I find it unfortunate that this luxury is slowly fading away. The happy life with Gnome ends at the point where you no longer agree with its designers.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Always when I tried KDE, I found it very pretty, but I found it difficult to use.
                  Then do not use it! It is just one choice of many alternatives.
                  If you are too stupid for KDE software, use software for simple-minded people like Unity.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I used KDE until about a week ago, but somehow it seems to get buggy and buggy with every new release. In more than one year of using it, I seen how KDE breaks opening of XML-based files (bug reported by me), how my desktop icons order get messed up with every login, how the widgets forgets their size after logout and more.

                    I was a big fan of KDE 3.x series, but KDE 4 seems to be developed by some 10-years schoolboys...

                    P.S. Seems that the bug with opening XML-based files is still not fixed. A very nice experience for a developer who use Code::Blocks and wants to open a project file.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ov1d1u View Post
                      I was a big fan of KDE 3.x series, but KDE 4 seems to be developed by some 10-years schoolboys...
                      The most feature rich free desktop environment available is written by 10 year old schoolboys? Awesome.

                      The XML bug seems to still persist in KDE SC 4.9 beta 2 but at least I have not experienced any of the other bugs you mentioned in the three years of using KDE (KDE 4.3-4.9).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Teho View Post
                        The most feature rich free desktop environment available is written by 10 year old schoolboys? Awesome.

                        The XML bug seems to still persist in KDE SC 4.9 beta 2 but at least I have not experienced any of the other bugs you mentioned in the three years of using KDE (KDE 4.3-4.9).
                        Well all I wanted to say is that KDE, even if rich-featured, seems to be developed in a immature manner. Remember the bug in KDE 4.8.0 where, every time when you created a file using "New file" option a .desktop extension was appended after the filename? That was a piece of untested code which seems that was merged into KDE main tree without any kind of testing. It was another bug which appeared from nowhere and just added a new issue into a new (and even big) release.

                        Yes, I'm also a (open-source software) developer maintaining two projects and I know that bugs can appear anytime, but this kind of bugs are simply... childish.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                          Always when I tried KDE, I found it very pretty, but I found it difficult to use.

                          The interface would be cluttered with buttons, menus, toolbars and stuff. They would cram as much as features and functionality into the GUI as possible.
                          I'd get overwhelmed by it. It lacks simplicity.

                          Also, I find it too difficult to use the KDE start menu, it required too much effort, navigation and clicks.
                          I really wish this meme would die. It's really not that bad. Maybe compared to GNOME's utter lack of configurability or things to click on KDE seems "complicated". Then again, maybe you're just another GNOME troll.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                            Also, I find it too difficult to use the KDE start menu, it required too much effort, navigation and clicks.
                            Easy. Right-click the menu launcher and select "Switch to classic menu style". Done.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It's annoying that it has quite some bugs but overall it's pretty good now. My only wish is that the applications would feel a bit lighter. Opening dolphin takes about 2 seconds. Nautilus opens much faster. Thunar opens almost instantly.

                              Also, I haven't configured that much and it looks to my liking:

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X