Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce 4.10 Desktop Feature Release

Phoronix: Xfce 4.10 Desktop Feature Release

The Xfce project on Saturday afternoon released Xfce 4.10 as the first major Xfce desktop feature release in about sixteen months...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA5Mzc

damn 16 months? lxde updates more frequently than that and its a much smaller project. but, i think i'd still be interested in trying xfce after not trying it for maybe 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      damn 16 months? lxde updates more frequently than that and its a much smaller project. but, i think i'd still be interested in trying xfce after not trying it for maybe 3 years.
      Crap, I follow both git repos, and LXDE doesn't get a meaningful commit (with meaningful I mean anything but translations) in months, while several subprojects of XFCE get them in a daily basis.
      How many new features did LXDE commited last year? The only one I can think of is getting back the tree view in PCManFM.
      Also, LXDE didn't achieve even their first stable release.
      I love both projects for different reasons, though.
      I admit Thunar is pretty basic, I don't use it because of the lack of tabs, for example, and use PCManFM instead.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
        Congrats for the release.

Have their ported Xfce to GTK+ 3 yet?
        Yes they did it in 4.10.

Comment

Originally posted by Imouto View Post
          Yes they did it in 4.10.
          No, that's happening in 4.12... I think.

Comment

they have support for gtk3 now iirc.
            the themes and the gtk-xfce4-enginge have been ported, but i think that the xfce applications are still useing gtk2.

Comment

XFCE gets more and more awesome. In contrast to the gnome team they actually respect wishes from their users. Seen long term I think XFCE has the potential to get most gnome users to switch.

Comment

I really hope they fixed thunar. It displays "eject buttons" for all volumes and it also shows them on the desktop even if they are not mounted. It's really annoying. There's a bug submitted for this since 2010. Ugh.

Comment

Excellent!

I switched to XFCE last year and its been wonderful; i'm already using a single vertical panel and it works nicely in 4.8; with these improvements i can play with it even more .

XFCE is solid, light and reliable, and i like it far more than gnome2.

Its also a plus that they don't seem to have any plans for radically changing the "desktop experience". More distros should take a hint and default to this desktop environment instead.

Comment

All of a sudden I feel compelled to start compiling my own version instead of using the outdated version supplied by Ubuntu.

Comment

It's moving to gtk3, and still claims to be light? Not that it wasn't already bloated for several years, but only getting worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Imouto View Post
                        Yes they did it in 4.10.
                        gtk 3.0 is planned for 4.12. [1]

- Gilboa
                        [1] http://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce4...er/029342.html
                        DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB + 2x3TB, GTX780, F21/x86_64, Dell U2711.
                        SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F21/x86_64, Dell U2412..
                        BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F21/x86-64.
                        LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F21/x86_64.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                          It's moving to gtk3, and still claims to be light? Not that it wasn't already bloated for several years, but only getting worse.
                          Please post a link to benchmark that proves that gtk 3.0 is slower / more bloated than gtk 2.0 (or stop spreading mindless FUD).

- Gilboa
                          DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB + 2x3TB, GTX780, F21/x86_64, Dell U2711.
                          SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F21/x86_64, Dell U2412..
                          BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F21/x86-64.
                          LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F21/x86_64.

Comment

I was a KDE myself, however, lately I found that I'm not using
                            many KDE apps, and that I could live with something lighter that
                            with added Qt libraries. XFCE it was and at first I couldn't believe
                            how fast apps started. It's not a fast machine (2 Ghz, 2GB ram),
                            however KDE 4.6 was just too much for it.

XFCE is a blessing. It's not a DIY, like a Fluxbox or E11, and it supports
                            Gnome plugins. I considered LXDE, but XFCE is mature and good enough.
                            If you had enough of wobblies and rotating cubes, clavko recommends.

Comment

in the past XFCE was trying not to be GNOME2. is it now going to try to become GNOME2?

also lets hope that 'alt-tab improvements' does not mean what the GNOME3 folks think.

Comment

Working...
                              X