Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    you are not in his shoes, and have diff taste

    Originally posted by RoboJ1M View Post
    No no, he's right, you really are a drama queen.

    Luckily there are a trillion distros out there.

    Please go away and use one you like. Quietly.

    "widget elements/controls of OS X, Windows 7 and KDE"

    "fugly as hell"

    Really? I mean, really?

    Let's have a look shall we:

    Windows 7



    OS X Lion



    Ubuntu 12.04



    I like this one but it's an unfair comparison, far too high res

    I don't think anybody can honesty say that Ubuntu 12.04 does not stack up against 7 and Lion.
    Looks to me like it's halfway between the two myself.

    As for usability, I've never had any problems.
    Super + type what I'm looking for + Return
    Just like Win7.

    And as a long time sufferer of Windows at work, including Win7, there is nothing, NOTHING, intuitive about Microsoft interfaces.
    Apple, yes. They know how to build an intuitive interface.
    Microsoft. Dear god no.


    He was complaining "TYPING" (AKA GUESSING) to get what he wanted in UBUNTU, instead of the traditional way "CLICKING" on the item that displayed on the screen before his eyes.

    Your word "Just like Win7." only means you like TYPING in both OS, but you forget or ignore the other way in WIN7---the "CLICKING".
    So definitely it does not like WIN7.

    Life is short, I just want get things done, without guessing, without finding, and the shortest way existed before in Ubuntu, ---clicking on the item shown on screen.

    I, maybe not you, have the same pain.
    I do not like my big screen computer has an interface of smart phone.

    I want it to keep quiet, not in my way ( not asking me to TYPE/GUESS all the time).

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Tgui View Post
      I've been using 12.04 since late alpha .something release. I love Unity. Good job Ubuntu!
      Similar experience here. Installed alpha 2, along with xorg-edgers and my hand-assembled KDE, on 5 February to a ThinkPad X1. Have kept up dist-upgraded all through development and it behaved remarkably well the entire time. It's been the most stable *buntu for me yet. Therefore, this weekend I will nuke and pave the X1 and start with Q-why-can-I-never-remember-whatitsname.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by nullone View Post
        Life is short, I just want get things done, without guessing, without finding, and the shortest way existed before in Ubuntu, ---clicking on the item shown on screen.
        Kubuntu is much better than Win7 or Ubuntu, so if you want to get things done just use Kubuntu. Imagine you have dozens of installed applications and it's a real pain to find the one you need in Win7 or Ubuntu without typing. In such case Ubuntu is in better position, because there are categories in Unity, but when someone has less applications installed it's easier to find one in Win7. KDE is good in every case.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          I just tried it. What an awful OS. Seriously, this thing sucks. There's no menu to start apps, you can't even SEE what apps you have installed even, you can't install apps unless you know the magic word in a terminal, you can't uninstall apps, the GUI sucks ass...

          Ubuntu is dead.
          I think I have to agree. When a new release came out, pre-Unity, one would start a torrent and it would download faster than taking the ISO directly from their servers. Since Unity I've found that the torrents are slower, there just aren't as many peers and the peers that are present are slower. It's been over twelve hours and I'm still only half way there.

          This tells me that many people have jumped ship for other distributions and it's unfortunate that Canonical, or Mark personally, cannot see what they have or he has done to the Ubuntu community.

          I haven't liked the new interface but was willing to try it in it new "polished" form but I see from this thread that there are still many unhappy with it. My current candidate, waiting until I'd made a decision on this was probably going to be OpenSuSE but I'll still have a look, when it finally downloads.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by nullone View Post
            He was complaining "TYPING" (AKA GUESSING) to get what he wanted in UBUNTU, instead of the traditional way "CLICKING" on the item that displayed on the screen before his eyes.

            Your word "Just like Win7." only means you like TYPING in both OS, but you forget or ignore the other way in WIN7---the "CLICKING".
            So definitely it does not like WIN7.

            Life is short, I just want get things done, without guessing, without finding, and the shortest way existed before in Ubuntu, ---clicking on the item shown on screen.

            I, maybe not you, have the same pain.
            I do not like my big screen computer has an interface of smart phone.

            I want it to keep quiet, not in my way ( not asking me to TYPE/GUESS all the time).
            Count me in. Looks like some people forgot their early time they used their comp. Or maybe our ROBOJ1M here is a genius. There's no word 'learning curve' for him. Plus, he can memorize all the program that he need.

            And, I prefer win7 menu than ubuntu anytime. Or kde . Not interested on OSX

            Comment


            • #21
              It is not always that easy to say bye and turn away

              Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              Kubuntu is much better than Win7 or Ubuntu, so if you want to get things done just use Kubuntu. Imagine you have dozens of installed applications and it's a real pain to find the one you need in Win7 or Ubuntu without typing. In such case Ubuntu is in better position, because there are categories in Unity, but when someone has less applications installed it's easier to find one in Win7. KDE is good in every case.

              There is one kind of relationship called "binding",
              There is one way of production called "efficiency",
              There is three feeling called "confident", "familiar" and "relaxing".
              There is a situation that when you tell it you may be in trouble: "fish swims in the water".

              Years of experience and maybe co-grow-up, makes it as hard as to say good bye to your mind-changed walking-away girlfriend.

              I know some of you may just turn around right away and start to find a new one.

              But that is not for others.

              Comment

              Working...
              X