Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skype Open-Source Back In Action, Breaks v5.5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Skype Open-Source Back In Action, Breaks v5.5

    Phoronix: Skype Open-Source Back In Action, Breaks v5.5

    After a several month hiatus, the individual(s) working to reverse-engineer Skype's binary client have successfully "deobfuscated" the Skype 5.5 release...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA3NzU

  • #2
    I hope they establish web site of skype reverse engineered version in China, and they won't have to fear DMCA shits there ;-)

    Comment


    • #3
      I just don't get all this fear from MS/Skype: just host the thing outside the US and go ahead with your business. How do you think AnyDVD has been alive and well for all these years?

      Comment


      • #4
        Why do they care if their stuff's been reverse-engineered? People still have to pay Skype to make POTS calls regardless of which client's used.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re

          Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
          Why do they care if their stuff's been reverse-engineered? People still have to pay Skype to make POTS calls regardless of which client's used.
          Stealing Inteligence bla-bla-bla...

          This guys had problems last time when they did that, they risk again?

          Comment


          • #6
            Just for curiosity, is there any way to understand the protocol for less experienced programmers?

            Comment


            • #7
              is it safe or open source ?

              What is the difference between the skype binary in the article link and the official skype ?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by drev View Post
                What is the difference between the skype binary in the article link and the official skype ?
                They discovered that the Skype binary is internally separated into a "core" library (which handles the protocol) and the UI (written in Delphi); the core (what they call the "kernel") and the UI are written and compiled with different toolchains and only combined in the final link stage, this probably helper the RE effort. Since the core has been isolated it's in theory possible to use it to write a custom GUI or a plugin to use Skype in other IM clients; AFAICS they did not reverse engineered the protocol itself.
                I assume that the linked binary contains the annotated IDA database which will help understating what functions to call in order to login, start a call, etc.
                Of course the binary is only usable on win32; maybe the same work can be done on the Linux binary, but frankly I don't see the point (plus the Linux client is pretty much dead...)

                Comment


                • #9
                  REverse engineering efforts

                  As for moving the stuff to China: apparently, the efforts are done from within Russia, which is also rather lax regarding immaginary properties...

                  Now that the core .DLL has been extracted, we need to put a bounty and pay a few hackers so they can disassemble and reverse engineer the protocols used by this DLL, and have them publish specifications. (All done within a country where it is acceptable. So keeping in Russia or moving to China).

                  Then we need to pay a bunch of other independent guys to turn said specifications into an independent, clean room, LGPL (or BSD) licensed library (hosted in a country without software patents so microsoft can't go this route to shut them down).

                  From that point onward, it would be trivial to get pidgin plugins, support for any mobile device you can think of, etc.

                  I'm sure that there are enough interested people to pool the money to pay hackers and developpers for that.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tettamanti View Post
                    They discovered that the Skype binary is internally separated into a "core" library (which handles the protocol) and the UI (written in Delphi); the core (what they call the "kernel") and the UI are written and compiled with different toolchains and only combined in the final link stage, this probably helper the RE effort. Since the core has been isolated it's in theory possible to use it to write a custom GUI or a plugin to use Skype in other IM clients; AFAICS they did not reverse engineered the protocol itself.
                    I assume that the linked binary contains the annotated IDA database which will help understating what functions to call in order to login, start a call, etc.
                    Of course the binary is only usable on win32; maybe the same work can be done on the Linux binary, but frankly I don't see the point (plus the Linux client is pretty much dead...)
                    It might be possible to engineer a way to wrap the DLL much like how ndiswrapper wraps Windows WLAN drivers so that a functioning Linux Skype client can be successfully built. If this core Skype DLL can be treated like a driver then the ndiswrapper style approach could work.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re

                      Michael, before posting this kind of stuff make some exploration. You give false hope to people.
                      From what I understand you are a programmer, right?
                      You should take a look at the nightmare the guy wrote there, for example:
                      Code:
                      tmplen=strlen(CHAT_STRING)-4;
                      
                      chatrnd=(rand() % 0x9);
                      CHAT_STRING[tmplen]=CHAT_STRING[tmplen]+chatrnd;
                      tmplen++;
                      printf("chatrnd=%d\n",chatrnd);
                      chatrnd=(rand() % 0x9);
                      CHAT_STRING[tmplen]=CHAT_STRING[tmplen]+chatrnd;
                      tmplen++;
                      printf("chatrnd=%d\n",chatrnd);
                      chatrnd=(rand() % 0x9);
                      CHAT_STRING[tmplen]=CHAT_STRING[tmplen]+chatrnd;
                      tmplen++;
                      printf("chatrnd=%d\n",chatrnd);
                      chatrnd=(rand() % 0x9);
                      CHAT_STRING[tmplen]=CHAT_STRING[tmplen]+chatrnd;
                      tmplen++;
                      printf("chatrnd=%d\n",chatrnd);
                      And a lot of this kind of stuff, it's really a nightmare... Makes me wanna cry...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        1) Does Skype (linux version) not work then? How come there isn't criticism against Skype (MSoft) for advertising a Linux version?

                        2) There is no half decent skype 'alternative?' I guess Pidgin and other IMs are no good because of lacking a complete set of features (as there must be an engine that provides everything - in particular, voice)?

                        No voip/voice/skype alternatives?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Panix View Post
                          1) Does Skype (linux version) not work then? How come there isn't criticism against Skype (MSoft) for advertising a Linux version?
                          Well it does work most of the time (at least the basic functionalities), but the latest release was make a year ago, and was just a minor incremental release.

                          Originally posted by Panix View Post
                          2) There is no half decent skype 'alternative?' I guess Pidgin and other IMs are no good because of lacking a complete set of features (as there must be an engine that provides everything - in particular, voice)?

                          No voip/voice/skype alternatives?
                          There are other alternatives, at least in theory anything that uses SIP can be used to replace Skype. The problem is that the rest of the world still uses Skype... it's very likely that your friends/coworkers/etc. are using Skype, so if you want to communicate with them you're stuck with it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I guess average people are going to stick with Skype until Microsoft inevitably does something stupid, like charging for it, or something else to turn people off of it. When that eventually happens, we need to have a nice open alternative ready to go. There are a lot of options now, but nothing that's really 100% ready for the masses. Some are close.

                            I wonder how development on Gnu FreeCall is going?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by tettamanti View Post
                              Well it does work most of the time (at least the basic functionalities), but the latest release was make a year ago, and was just a minor incremental release.

                              There are other alternatives, at least in theory anything that uses SIP can be used to replace Skype. The problem is that the rest of the world still uses Skype... it's very likely that your friends/coworkers/etc. are using Skype, so if you want to communicate with them you're stuck with it.
                              Thanks for the info. That's what I was wondering about. I was curious what issues one might expect if trying the Linux version considering they're not really updating the releases anymore.

                              Any thoughts on Google Voice? I've never tried it but I had the impression it is considered somewhat of an 'alternative?'

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X