Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cinnamon 1.4 Brings Back More GNOME2 Memories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cinnamon 1.4 Brings Back More GNOME2 Memories

    Phoronix: Cinnamon 1.4 Brings Back More GNOME2 Memories

    Cinnamon, the project by the Linux Mint developers to make the GNOME Shell more like the old GNOME2 experience, is up to its version 1.4 release. Similar to earlier releases, version 1.4 introduces several new features to further enhance this tasty desktop experience...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA3MTI

  • #2
    Just tested out the new release.

    Nice improvements Expo is nice. I really like that Cinnamon seems to be modeled to be more like a Compiz Desktop or MacOSX Desktop.... IMO Gnome (upstream) should have adopted this style, over GS. If they had, i suspect very few long time gnome-users would have had complaints about Gnome 3.0, on release.

    great DE/WM, it will be interesting to see what it is like 6 months to a year from now. I could see Cinnamon gaining a lot of traction.

    my 2 cents

    EDIT: it's funny how the article is titled "Cinnamon 1.4 Brings Back More GNOME2 Memories" ~ when gnome2 never had scale or expo, that was compiz, all gnome2 had was transparency and shadows (via metacity). Maybe the article should have been called "Cinnamon 1.4 brings back more Compiz features", instead.
    Last edited by ninez; 03-15-2012, 09:27 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ninez View Post
      EDIT: it's funny how the article is titled "Cinnamon 1.4 Brings Back More GNOME2 Memories" ~ when gnome2 never had scale or expo, that was compiz, all gnome2 had was transparency and shadows (via metacity). Maybe the article should have been called "Cinnamon 1.4 brings back more Compiz features", instead.
      Don't let facts get in the way of hyperbole

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        Don't let facts get in the way of hyperbole
        true enough, lol

        Comment


        • #5
          This is really starting to look interesting! If they keep releasing every month, they're going to gather a following as well; release early and release often gets people excited! Small changes which gives the feeling of continuous development and new stuff to test out!

          Comment


          • #6
            I'd like to prefix this post with a saying that I once heard. "Nothing interests me more than my orgasm, and nothing interests me less than someone else's". My metaphorical orgasm consists of a dock at the bottom of the screen and a global menu at the top of the screen. OSX has these features. Ubuntu (default 3d desktop and hide the unity launcher) + cairo dock has these features. It's really nice.

            Trying Mint and FC17 (Gnome3-extension-testing), I am currently unable to shape/bend either of these implementations into my ideal utopian desktop. At this point, I do not know whether I should suck-it-up and be a good citizen, or whether I should simply delete these VMs. Due to time and interest constraints, I'll probably do the latter.

            F

            Comment


            • #7
              You should be able to put the cinnamon panel on the top (go to preferences->cinnamon settings in the menu, then open the panel item).

              After you do that, <insert_favorite_dock> should work just fine, though I haven't tried myself.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                You should be able to put the cinnamon panel on the top (go to preferences->cinnamon settings in the menu, then open the panel item).

                After you do that, <insert_favorite_dock> should work just fine, though I haven't tried myself.
                I will take another peek, but last I tried, the panel did not integrate with the global-menu, and I ended up with two overlapping menus at the top of the screen and no real method of switching between the two. I guess I'm in the unfortunate/odd position of being someone that views the dash/launcher/start-menu as undesirable compared with a dock, and global-menu/panel integration as desirable when compared to individual menus and a panel full of applets + wasted space.

                While I will not say that "Apple got it right", they certainly didn't get it nearly as wrong as the default implementations I'm seeing from Gnome, Mint, KDE, Unity (<--- Qar, this is an example of "Irony"), etc.

                To those that disagree, give the following a try. Ubuntu, stock 3D session. Hide the Unity launcher via CCSM. Run cairo-dock (not a cairo dock session) on session startup. You can use the windows-key/super-key to bring up the dash if you need it. Simple to implement, easy to use, easy to revert if you hate it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by russofris View Post
                  I'd like to prefix this post with a saying that I once heard. "Nothing interests me more than my orgasm, and nothing interests me less than someone else's". My metaphorical orgasm consists of a dock at the bottom of the screen and a global menu at the top of the screen. OSX has these features. Ubuntu (default 3d desktop and hide the unity launcher) + cairo dock has these features. It's really nice.

                  Trying Mint and FC17 (Gnome3-extension-testing), I am currently unable to shape/bend either of these implementations into my ideal utopian desktop. At this point, I do not know whether I should suck-it-up and be a good citizen, or whether I should simply delete these VMs. Due to time and interest constraints, I'll probably do the latter.

                  F
                  If thats what you want why don't you run OSX? It sounds as if they have exactly what you want.
                  Tye reason why a lot of people don't choose OSX is b/c of its relative inflexibility on the UI side. I, hiwever, they have what you want, you, or Canonical, aren't going to be able to cobble ( and I use that word precisely since that's what Canonical is doing with "Unity") together a better implementation.
                  Last edited by liam; 03-15-2012, 05:41 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by liam View Post
                    If thats what you want why don't you run OSX? It sounds as if they have exactly what you want.
                    For the most part, I do. Unfortunately, work and projects/philosophy demand that I remain flexible and platform agnostic. The vast majority of the time, I find VMs to be suitable for productivity and experimentation.

                    With OSX, I find the simplified workflows are sufficient for home use. When I need something more flexible, or need to craft a custom workflow, I use Ubuntu (when I need a general purpose GUI) and RHEL/OEL (when I need a terminal that will accurately mimic the systems on which I am paid to work). Windows7 is what I use when I feel the desire to play 3D games. It's nice that WINE allows you to run games on different platforms, but I've never found it to be equivalent in terms of performance and stability to native applications, and I don't play to lose.

                    The whole linux-desktop-paradigm-shift thing has really confused me. Unity, in its current incarnation (launcher and dash) is really bad. Whenever I've spoken to someone that has liked Unity/Gnome-Shell, it always turns out that they had never used a dock before. Those that try a dock+globalmenu always seem to love it (wife, neighbor, in-laws, random associates on the internet). Though I have no horses in the desktop race, I did try to give gnome3 some time, and it just hasn't panned out.

                    Whenever someone asks me what I think or to lend a hand on a UI testing-weekend and document my findings, I feel as if I'm being asked by my wife "Do I look fat in this?".

                    Yes... Yes you do. Don't bother wasting your time testing. A solution to the issue is 7 clicks away.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Ah, yes, afaik there's no global menu extension for cinnamon. It would be nice if they could share at least that (their extensions). :/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Cinnamon like OSX?

                        Ninez, I do not know what planet you are on, but Cinnamon bears absolutely no similarity to any mac I have ever used. And that goes for Gnome 3 as well. And that is a very good thing. I hate the Mac's common menu structure and childish bouncy launcher/task-switcher. If the default Cinnamon resembles anything it is Windows 95,98,ME,XP,NT.

                        In the Cinnamon settings you can configure it to a single toolbar at the bottom (Mint Default), top or have the two toolbar Gnome 2 layout. I use Gnome 3 with a black desktop and the ICS theme so when it starts it is just a black screen with mid blue clock, speaker and local temperature and a hot corner. You can keep your launchers and bouncy icons and spinning cube desktops and desktops covered in icons.

                        The good thing is the choice. I have mine the way I like it, you can have it anyway you want yours. That is something Mac owners cannot have, and Windows users are fairly limited as well.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by grege View Post
                          Ninez, I do not know what planet you are on, but Cinnamon bears absolutely no similarity to any mac I have ever used. And that goes for Gnome 3 as well. And that is a very good thing. I hate the Mac's common menu structure and childish bouncy launcher/task-switcher. If the default Cinnamon resembles anything it is Windows 95,98,ME,XP,NT.
                          I didn't say it was identical, at all. I said that they have chosen to take a similar approach, in the *context of and regarding their use of expo and scale* on their desktop. ~ They HAVE followed in the footsteps of MacOSX and Compiz (as opposed to GS style, with a bar on the right side / vertical layout, accessed through 'activities'). That's a pretty hard point to argue, it is fact... and nowhere did i say anything about them being the same, or that cinnamon or Gnome 3 looks just like MacOSX. You've made that shit up in your head, and chosen to PMS about it, now.

                          Originally posted by grege View Post
                          In the Cinnamon settings you can configure it to a single toolbar at the bottom (Mint Default), top or have the two toolbar Gnome 2 layout. I use Gnome 3 with a black desktop and the ICS theme so when it starts it is just a black screen with mid blue clock, speaker and local temperature and a hot corner. You can keep your launchers and bouncy icons and spinning cube desktops and desktops covered in icons.
                          I don't need your help with Cinnamon's settings thanks, not exactly rocket science. And i've had cinnamon installed since it was released, and update it with GIT, weekly....

                          Honestly, i don't give a shit what your desktop looks like, my (linux/Gnome3) desktop sounds just as minimal, if not more so than yours - but who really cares?!? (i don't). The funny thing about your little rant -> I DON'T have 'bouncy icons' on my Mac or on my Archlinux Desktop. And while you bitch about 'bouncy icons', clearly you haven't used a mac enough to know that it takes all of 5 seconds to disable the features you are whining like a little girl about.... I do NOT use the cube plugin, wobbly windows or any bling like that (in compiz). I don't even use transition effects on 'open/close', I think minimize is the only one (zoom). How about you take your grand assumptions, and you little rant and shove them up your ass. thank you very much.

                          Originally posted by grege View Post
                          The good thing is the choice. I have mine the way I like it, you can have it anyway you want yours. That is something Mac owners cannot have, and Windows users are fairly limited as well.
                          Correct, choice is always good. ..But AFAIK both Windows and Mac users can alter their desktop all they like, there are apps and tools to do that on both OSes, including making MacOSX look very different, from how it comes (ie: being able to change pretty much very graphic/button/widget/icon/gui related part. What they can't do is completely swap out DE/WM for another.

                          ..and to be honest, i have no interest in changing my MacOSX desktop, it is just fine the way it is. Apple designs a nice Operating system, and provides what i need on that machine. More importantly, i use my Mac for the applications it has on it, and being able to customize the interface AFAIK is NOT important versus using my applications. Which do you think is more important?
                          Last edited by ninez; 03-15-2012, 10:54 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Nothing much

                            I had a minor dig at you for saying "I really like that Cinnamon seems to be modeled to be more like a Compiz Desktop or MacOSX Desktop.... " And you reply with "Honestly, i don't give a shit what your desktop looks like" and "How about you take your grand assumptions, and you little rant and shove them up your ass. thank you very much." and other rubbish.

                            Mine was a comment and yours a rant.

                            What do I think is important? I thing software freedom is important. That is why I only use Linux, that is why I use an Android Tablet and that is why I never use anything Apple.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by grege View Post
                              I had a minor dig at you for saying "I really like that Cinnamon seems to be modeled to be more like a Compiz Desktop or MacOSX Desktop.... " And you reply with "Honestly, i don't give a shit what your desktop looks like" and "How about you take your grand assumptions, and you little rant and shove them up your ass. thank you very much." and other rubbish.
                              again, in the context of scale and expo. what are you not understanding??? (ie: the article is about the new features, which resemble features from compiz and MacOSX, rather than gnome-shell).

                              You get comments like that for making assumptions. You assumed that all i care about is bling, which was in reality, is completely off the mark, you then told me to 'keep all my bouncy icons, etc'.... You wanna be a dick, expect it back.

                              Originally posted by grege View Post
                              Mine was a comment and yours a rant.
                              both were rants, if you weren't ranting you wouldn't have made such judgmental, presumptuous statements with a hint of 'hater talk'...

                              Originally posted by grege View Post
                              What do I think is important? I thing software freedom is important. That is why I only use Linux, that is why I use an Android Tablet and that is why I never use anything Apple.
                              Good for you. Then don't buy Apple, and enjoy your life!

                              Software freedom is important, but other things are equally, if not more important. Like having good video editing software (none for linux, that compares to Win/Mac apps), like having image-editing applications that can work with highend image formats(none for linux comparable to Win/Mac apps), having a wide variety of music (proaudio) software, that i can use with my instruments/hardware(some for linux, but nowhere near the place it is in Win/Mac-land. the list goes on and on.

                              I strike a balance between both. Partly, because i have to (for work, and otherwise) and partly because there isn't always FOSS software to fill the gap... At this point in the game, that makes more sense to use the best of both worlds, rather than crippling myself / shooting myslef in the foot.
                              Last edited by ninez; 03-15-2012, 11:17 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X