Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME's Epiphany Experiences A Facelift

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    With Flash Player 11, we finally got a 64-bit plugin. Now Im just waiting for GTK3 compatibility so I could use it in Epiphany (sans nspluginwrapper).

    Comment


    • #12
      whoa

      wait, epiphany still exists?!

      Comment


      • #13
        Looks promising, but Epiphany lacks two must-have extensions:

        1) Firefox-Sync extension

        I don't know if it would be possible to access Mozilla's web storage from third party applications, but otherwise changing between platforms and therefore from Epiphany to Firefox now and then would be a pain (bookmarks and passwords).


        2) elaborated AdBlocker

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by puntarenas View Post
          Looks promising, but Epiphany lacks two must-have extensions:

          1) Firefox-Sync extension

          I don't know if it would be possible to access Mozilla's web storage from third party applications, but otherwise changing between platforms and therefore from Epiphany to Firefox now and then would be a pain (bookmarks and passwords).


          2) elaborated AdBlocker
          Epiphany has an AdBlocker dunno if it's nearly as good like the ones available for google chrome or firefox.

          Comment


          • #15
            I love this idea, honestly like 5 people use epiphany in the world. At this rate its just doomed to be an inferior competitor to the other browsers. Its nice that theyr doing some radical thinking to try and get something new, innovative and interesting out there.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by josian_220 View Post
              Epiphany has an AdBlocker dunno if it's nearly as good like the ones available for google chrome or firefox.
              Yes, but like the rest of the browser, it barely works and at least in Ubuntu doesn't update or seem to have any way of adding more filter sets or allow for custom filters.

              Just as with the rest of Gnome3, their time would be of far more use spent elsewhere where it would actually benefit the OSS community.

              Comment


              • #17
                This is one of those things Moms are suppose to teach: "If you don't have something nice to say don't say anything". Not because it is not nice, but it's also how you avoid looking like a idiot.


                On the general "Epiphany is a waste of effort."

                Gnome and GTK need a proper HTML renderer integrated into the toolkit. There are a hundred different things that need a the ability to properly view and interact with HTML content. Email applications, editors, RSS feed readers, instant messaging software. HTML content is everywhere. Even applications like your media player that pulls down quotes or information about artists need to have the ability to parse and display HTML content.

                This is what Epiphany uses and working on Epiphany is one of the major ways they can improve on it. Hacking on and improving the HTML engine and integration into GTK and Gnome applications is the difficult part.

                Incidently Midori also uses WebKitGTK+..


                The ability to setup 'favorite web apps' in Gnome 3 is completely awesome.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Do many apps need a competent HTML renderer? Yes. Do we need yet another useless browser that almost always renders pages wrong? No.

                  I you need a rendering engine just take it from Firefox/IceWeasel since the ones in Epiphany and Konqueror a waste of time since neither does the job well.

                  OSS is supposed to be about rapid development of what works, not endless forking for "Me Tooisim" just because you happen to not like some douchebag on the internet. The biggest threat to OSS isn't Microsoft, Oracle or Apple, it's the OSS community constantly chasing it's tail and holding back it's own progress.

                  So, you can tell your mom to piss off, if somebody needs to be offended to get the point across then so be it.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by drag View Post
                    The ability to setup 'favorite web apps' in Gnome 3 is completely awesome.
                    I completely agree

                    While epiphany doesn't interest me as a day to day browser - i do happen to use it in this particular case. There are several web apps that i use and it's nice to have that simple integration.

                    As a side note: I do actually like the mockup. I think it looks great.

                    cheerz

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                      I you need a rendering engine just take it from Firefox/IceWeasel since the ones in Epiphany and Konqueror a waste of time since neither does the job well.
                      Yeah, absolutely. Who needs that stupid Webkit thing? Noone uses it anyway. </sarcasm>

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X