Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Linux Kernel Patches To Mimic Windows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • More Linux Kernel Patches To Mimic Windows

    Phoronix: More Linux Kernel Patches To Mimic Windows

    A day after Red Hat's Matthew Garrett published a Linux kernel patch to solve the ASPM power regression by more closely mimicking the Active State Power Management behavior of Microsoft Windows, he's published more Linux patches to mimic the Windows power management...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAxNDM

  • #2
    I imagine it took time to figure out that copying what windows does was the right course of action

    I also imagine it took longer to figure out about the information in the INF files - if it had been so easy I'm sure you'd have written about it before now

    Comment


    • #3
      Heaven forbid these hardware manufs. actually step up to the plate and get their hardware working properly on anything other than Windows...
      At the very least, it gave us a pretty good idea of which hardware manufs. have been naughty or nice...

      A lot of users are so far downstream, they're not aware of things the hardware manufs. do compared to the things people in the open source community have to do because the hardware manufs. won't do it themselves..

      It's important to not give those naughty companies any more money by buying their products, since they're just taking your money and spending it to make their products run better on just Windows..

      This is 2011, not the early 1990s.. There's no real reason the manufs. can't support Linux and Windows.. The only reason they don't support Linux is because every penny saved is a penny earned in their eyes..
      Last edited by Sidicas; 11-11-2011, 01:00 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        There's indeed hardware out there that does not fully comply with the PCIe specs of which ASPM is a part, so blacklisting them is a start. Likewise hardware that does play nice with ASPM but doesn't advertise supporting it should be able to work with ASPM

        Shame HW makers toe the Microsoft line when designing their devices. Why can't they make hardware that will work with ALL OS's not just Windows?

        Better yet why not provide documentation to the Linux developers who'll then gladly write a driver for the device and maintain it.

        Comment


        • #5
          A somewhat tangential remark: I at least would greatly appreciate gmane over lkml.org for links to mailing list posts.

          Comment


          • #6
            Is there some central list with hardware known to work reliably on Linux, so when some basic user wants to buy a laptop/VC/mouse/etc. he can look up and pick one of the choices.
            I really wish some small company to buy mainboards from GB for example, put Coreboot on it, and sell them(online) with small premium of course. I think this model will work, and will be profitable for a small company.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Drago View Post
              Iput Coreboot on it, and sell them(online) with small premium of course. I think this model will work, and will be profitable for a small company.
              Yea.... Give Microsoft some evidence to use so they can keep claiming that Linux costs more than Windows..

              I don't like that idea...

              But I do like the idea of keeping a list of manufs. that have been naughty or nice.. Just about everything works under Linux whether the manuf. supports it or not, the real question is about how well it works...

              Everything can be fine and dandy for months and then a company comes up with a stupid idea like nVidia Optimus, and then it just doesn't work right and probably won't for years and people need to know before they go buying hardware.. I've been using Linux for almost a decade now and I *almost* made the mistake of buying an nVidia Optimus laptop, one of the ones without the hardware switch... Simply because I wasn't following laptop hardware that closely at the time..
              Last edited by Sidicas; 11-11-2011, 01:59 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
                Yea.... Give Microsoft some evidence to use so they can keep claiming that Linux costs more than Windows..

                I don't like that idea...
                You know that there are servers being sold with Coreboot, right? I have never heard of somebody complaining Linux costs more than windows.
                My proposal is for enthusiasts, like me, who are tired of bullshit.
                Two example, for my new laptop ThinkPad x120e, the hardware is fine, but BIOS causes Linux to hang at boot. This only happens if I entered the BIOS setup, or booting windows, and then restart to Linux. I have to turn it off, and then back on to boot in Linux. I mainly use it on my desk with external display,keyboard and mouse. The freaking thing doesn't have Wake on keyboard press, although it has one powered while off usb port. The lid have to stay opened all the time.
                These two examples I believe can be easily fixed, if one had the BIOS sources.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
                  Heaven forbid these hardware manufs. actually step up to the plate and get their hardware working properly on anything other than Windows...
                  At the very least, it gave us a pretty good idea of which hardware manufs. have been naughty or nice...

                  A lot of users are so far downstream, they're not aware of things the hardware manufs. do compared to the things people in the open source community have to do because the hardware manufs. won't do it themselves..

                  It's important to not give those naughty companies any more money by buying their products, since they're just taking your money and spending it to make their products run better on just Windows..

                  This is 2011, not the early 1990s.. There's no real reason the manufs. can't support Linux and Windows.. The only reason they don't support Linux is because every penny saved is a penny earned in their eyes..
                  From the sound of it, those companies who are being blacklisted have drivers that don't work properly on windows either (at least using aspm). So, really, they just need to get their act together.
                  I AM surprised the e1000 driver is being blacklisted. I believe that is an intel gigabit chip. Usually they are so good about these things...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks Matthew!
                    This reminds me of this funny tshirt I saw on a planet fedora blog.

                    "I can't fix your computer... but Matthew Garrett will!"

                    Too true.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Drago View Post
                      You know that there are servers being sold with Coreboot, right? I have never heard of somebody complaining Linux costs more than windows.
                      No, I didn't know... But I do get bombarded by Microsoft's sales department regularly saying about how much cheaper Windows is than Linux for X,Y,Z reasons.. Then they go and start offering me free copies of Windows Server to just "try it out".. You know how it goes.. It's not as bad as it used to be, but Microsoft is still pushing their Windows Server software as the best solution to everything under the sun..

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
                        No, I didn't know... But I do get bombarded by Microsoft's sales department regularly saying about how much cheaper Windows is than Linux for X,Y,Z reasons.. Then they go and start offering me free copies of Windows Server to just "try it out".. You know how it goes.. It's not as bad as it used to be, but Microsoft is still pushing their Windows Server software as the best solution to everything under the sun..
                        Well, that's called FUD. Yes, ms are so much better at marketing.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by liam View Post
                          I AM surprised the e1000 driver is being blacklisted. I believe that is an intel gigabit chip. Usually they are so good about these things...
                          There is more Intel hardware out that doesn't properly support ASPM. The Intel 3945 wifi driver also contains a work-around for an ASPM-related hardware bug.
                          On most Intel hardware the presence of ASPM is correctly detected, at least when ASPM is set up properly in the BIOS. When you use pcie_aspm=force because of the famous 2.6.38+ ASPM problems, you will run into problems without a patch to disable ASPM completely.
                          By the way, I think that he means e1000e instead of e1000, as e1000e is a driver for PCIe hardware.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                            There's indeed hardware out there that does not fully comply with the PCIe specs of which ASPM is a part, so blacklisting them is a start. Likewise hardware that does play nice with ASPM but doesn't advertise supporting it should be able to work with ASPM
                            Shame HW makers toe the Microsoft line when designing their devices. Why can't they make hardware that will work with ALL OS's not just Windows?
                            I think you have it backwards. Why can't MS actually follow the hardware standard as defined so that if it works with Windows, it should work with other OS's?
                            A) They don't know how to follow and/or don't care about the standard
                            B) They purposefully don't follow the standard so that other OS's break and look bad on hardware only tested with Windows
                            C) A combo of the first two.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by AlbertP View Post
                              There is more Intel hardware out that doesn't properly support ASPM. The Intel 3945 wifi driver also contains a work-around for an ASPM-related hardware bug.
                              On most Intel hardware the presence of ASPM is correctly detected, at least when ASPM is set up properly in the BIOS. When you use pcie_aspm=force because of the famous 2.6.38+ ASPM problems, you will run into problems without a patch to disable ASPM completely.
                              By the way, I think that he means e1000e instead of e1000, as e1000e is a driver for PCIe hardware.
                              Wow.
                              I had no idea. I imagined that since Intel is a member of the PCISIG, and a major producer of system components that they would be on top of this.
                              I imagine the cause of these problems was this http://www.pcisig.com/specifications...2009-08-20.pdf. Once they made it optional they opened the door to hell (via the hot air coming from everyones pc).

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X