Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Easy To Guess What Angers GNOME Users

Phoronix: It's Easy To Guess What Angers GNOME Users

The 2011 GNOME User Survey, an end-user survey that was assembled by independent GNOME users and hosted on Phoronix, began less than 24 hours ago and we're already approaching 2,000 submissions. There's still one month to go, and from these submission so far when simply dumping the comments it amounts to about 148 pages. However, it's not hard to guess what most of these comments are about when it comes to the GNOME desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm sure there was some positive feed back in there

Probably on the lines of more collaboration like at the Desktop Summit (that's what I put so I know it's in there)

PS I'm a KDE User but still filled it in

Comment

Yikes! As someone who really likes gnome shell I hope gnome dev don't listen to the masses. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
        Yikes! As someone who really likes gnome shell I hope gnome dev don't listen to the masses. :P
        +1. I'm a happy Gnome user, too, and I didn't participate because the agenda of the survey was so obvious. And who do you reach on Phoronix with a survey? Not normal users, only power users, nerds and haters.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky
          And really no explanation can hold up when they remove ability to choose between hibernate and suspend option. Its 0 maintenance. Only being an ***hole can explain that. G-shell plugin that add it back doesn't count.
          They added the ability to do that with gnome 3.2 which is awesome.

Comment

Disclaimer: Happy gnome user here, was a happy KDE user until 1 month ago, then wanted a change

What's to bet that the same people moaning about Gnome 3 and pointing out how great KDE is are the same people who hated on KDE4 when it game out and pointed out how great gnome was.

Honestly.

Haters gotta hate.

Comment

bees & vinagre

If you want to improve anything you might consider providing constructive feedback that provides details and suggestions instead of bitching about everything.

This article and its forum discussion is another excellent example of the degeneration of Phoronix

Comment

Originally posted by 0xCAFE View Post
                And who do you reach on Phoronix with a survey? Not normal users, only power users, nerds and haters.
                And me.

Comment

spiderbit

whats the problem? I mean what really sucks, is that ubuntu does not support gnome-shell properly, they dont include some packages that are in the gnome 3.2 release, and they dont make a kind of good theme for it etc, because they wanna force the users to use the much more hated unity desktop.

Because of that, the user Experience for gnome-shell is worse than it could be. Gnome2.x did also only shine on distries that did support it well and did preinstall a good default theme, therefor ubuntu was famous.

Besides that, gnome-shell needs some love but the ideas and concepts of it are really good and neccessary. gnome 2.x is done if you like it use it there is no need to make it better, it does most stuff like it should.

So users that are crying now should just use older linuxes or install somehow the gnome2.x packages in their distries. Why do all people need to update their linux all 6 months you need that if you wanna see such new ui or if you did buy a new hardware and the drivers for the old linux are bad, but even than there are backports of the new kernels for the older distries. So just use a old distri and wait a few minor-releases before you switch to gnome-shell.

Comment

Originally posted by Welsh Dwarf View Post
                    Disclaimer: Happy gnome user here, was a happy KDE user until 1 month ago, then wanted a change

What's to bet that the same people moaning about Gnome 3 and pointing out how great KDE is are the same people who hated on KDE4 when it game out and pointed out how great gnome was.

Honestly.

Haters gotta hate.

I hated KDE4 when it went out, I still don't like it that much. I never liked Gnome much.
                    I switched to gnome when kde 4.0 was published.
                    And of course I didn't witness the feature removal during my use of it much.
                    (They did remove few things there an there but not much reason to start hating them.)

Comment

Working...
                    X