It's Easy To Guess What Angers GNOME Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I switched to a Mac.

Seriously good product these days. You more or less get a BSD UNIX with a good set of apps. Plus the ability to run hundreds of UNIX and X apps. Best of both worlds. Further it puts some real space between me and GPL3.

Considering the amount of Open source software that Apple does support I actually end up feeling pretty good about the choice. LLVM/CLang are coming along really well offering a real alternative to GCC. All my usual tools are right there or a download away. If not Apple has been pricing commercial software much more reasonably these days.

In a nut shell I don't have to put up with GNome anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      Seriously good product these days. You more or less get a BSD UNIX with a good set of apps. Plus the ability to run hundreds of UNIX and X apps. Best of both worlds. Further it puts some real space between me and GPL3.

Considering the amount of Open source software that Apple does support I actually end up feeling pretty good about the choice. LLVM/CLang are coming along really well offering a real alternative to GCC. All my usual tools are right there or a download away. If not Apple has been pricing commercial software much more reasonably these days.

I would have though most of the crit you hear applied to gnome 3 could be give to lion as well. Lack of customisation. Similar design ideas etc But I got too admit the macbook air Is a fine looking machine. I have thought about getting a mac. But no its not for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky
        +1 Gnome developers are assholes.
        (Sorry for trolling. .
        If you are really sorry, then just don't troll. Otherwise you are a mere boring hypocrite.

I don't entirely support all the changes, but the overall impression of GNOME 3.2 for me is great. Just pretty please make a proper GTK2 version of Adwaita (no, both analogs are not good enough).

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
          whats the problem? I mean what really sucks, is that ubuntu does not support gnome-shell properly, they dont include some packages that are in the gnome 3.2 release, and they dont make a kind of good theme for it etc,
          True, where would we be without PPAs?

Comment

Michael, I guess this is the first part of an article series, dedicated to rude and hostile expressions. Unsurprisingly haters gonna hate.

I am looking forward to part two of your survey report with well-chosen samples of constructive criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by puntarenas View Post
              Michael, I guess this is the first part of an article series, dedicated to rude and hostile expressions. Unsurprisingly haters gonna hate.

I am looking forward to part two of your survey report with well-chosen samples of constructive criticism.
              Unfortunately, it's quite possible that you need a whole new survey for that, created by someone who doesn't misread things badly and isn't passively aggressive with sudden bursts of active aggression.

Comment

Eh.

I think this might be the last time I respond to a survey on this site. Isn't the usual way of presenting results to wait for the deadline, analyze the results and then present some numbers (with some chosen quotes to back it up if necessary), not to go through the responses one day into it and pick out the worst quotes you can find that supports your preconceived notion, and then proceed to write a troll-article about it. It's possible that the responses that criticizes gnome constitutes the absolute majority for all I know (although I know for a fact that it's not the only kind of response), but these kinds of troll-fluff-filler articles are just.. blargh.

Comment

If it bleeds, it leads...

Solicit drive-by rage. Post sensational headline. This stuff practically writes itself...

oh.

Thanks for the "effort", Michael Larrabee.

Comment

Well I have to say from starting to really like Gnome 2, dislike Unity and tried Gnome 3, I am back to Unity and Ubuntu 11.10 and perfectly happy now.

Gnome 2 is simple and effective, neither Gnome or Ubuntu should hinder the possibility to use and continue development of it.

Gnome 3 is really still in testing and should be in some staging ground somewhere where it can mature. I consider myself as a pretty good computer user but I cannot figure out why there are so stupid design and functions of Gnome 3 that really hinders and slows down the usage of the system. You should never do as Microsoft and expect the users to be idiots, the worst thought process ever.

Unity has had a lot of bugs and hasn't been fully mature. But since 11.10 with unity-2d alongside the only bugs I have found is with wine and Unity, and the work flow is really good. The only bad I can say about it is that the Ubuntu team still don't seam to have decided on the design and functions which several have changed between 11.04 and 11.10. I just hope they won't do any drastic changes for 12.04 which you need to get used to.

And off course I cannot forget to comment about the bad (almost nonexistent) configure options that both Unity and Gnome 3 suffers from. Even though Unity has some hidden away under compiz-config a lot is missing and badly explained.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

Its like going to Windows happily, cause .net is support there better. Sure, you are welcome.
                      But Apple is NOT opensource or FLOSS company.
                      Their projects are BSD licensed and they actively use OpenCORE model.
                      Beside, their iPhone is rumored to spying on owner as much as it is possible.

Windows or apples. Not my cup of tea, either.

//
                      Really liked Gnome 2, albeit some core functionality was missing (forcing you to open terminal), the DE itself lacks functionality for the sake of aesthetics and all important stuff was shoved into windows registry-like tree.
                      Really really hated KDE3, even if I used it a lot on Solaris. Really hated that plastic windows-like feeling.
                      Hated XFCE for again, sacrificing a lot of functionality, but this time for 100Mb less RAM usage. Which is everything, except understandable. XFCE is still like that (if that bothers you..)
                      Hated KDE4, because it was so buggy. "Plasma crashed" has become a meme.

Since 4.6.5 plasma stopped crashing and KDE4 was ready for mass usage. Using it since then - good balance between memory usage and functionality. Love it.
                      Last edited by crazycheese; 18 October 2011, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X