Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R300 Graphics Improvements For KDE's KWin

Phoronix: R300 Graphics Improvements For KDE's KWin

If you're using any R300/400/500 GPU with the Gallium3D R300 driver, there's some improvements coming up for you in the KDE KWin compositing window manager...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAwMTk

OMG Martin is so awesome.

Comment

Even though I use the nVidia binary driver, I lower my hat before Phoronix/Micheal for giving a helping hand for the cause of having stable, feature complete OSS drivers.

- Gilboa
      DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB + 2x3TB, GTX780, F21/x86_64, Dell U2711.
      SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F21/x86_64, Dell U2412..
      BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F21/x86-64.
      LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F21/x86_64.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
        Back during XDC2011 Chicago I passed along an ATI Radeon X1300PRO graphics card to get to him so he could work out these issues.
        Wow... That's

Comment

Geez. The X1300? Isn't it like $20 a piece now? The OSS progress has been so severely hindered by lack of fund that a $20 card cannot be spared! Sigh...

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
            Geez. The X1300? Isn't it like $20 a piece now? The OSS progress has been so severely hindered by lack of fund that a $20 card cannot be spared! Sigh...
            Seriously. If only this scaled linearly...

Comment

Maybe the next step will be to get performance on r600+ up to speed. They've only been out for 4 some years. I don't see why dragging a window around should be laggy in this day and age.

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
                Seriously. If only this scaled linearly...
                Well, don't know what your intention is (or which year are you living?!) but a card 10x more expensive is effectively more than 100x faster now. So it's more like exponentially.

Comment

Nice. Thanks Martin and thanks Michael.

Comment

Thanks a lot!
                    There are still people which use R300/R400 cards with latest KDE versions.
                    Unfortunately because of the problems I had to disable desktop effects in KDE 4.7.x but I used them without bigger problems in KDE 4.6.x and earlier versions.

Comment

Does anyone know more details about these two bugs? Are they registered at bugs.kde.org?

Comment

SWEEET!!! Yea, I know there are problems but it's very difficult to put these kinds of problems into a bug report... There's not much to say, other than the fact that it just look graphically wrong under some situations, but not others.. Hopefully these fixes will make it that much easier to make the switch from KDE3 to KDE4 on my old laptop..

I don't know if there's really been any bug reports against KDE for this, as I've always just assumed it was a problem with the drivers since these problems don't happen with kwin when using the nvidia blob..

Everyone I've ever shown these graphical glitches to, has said it *really* does look like a driver bug.. I don't care whether it's a driver problem or a KWIN problem, so long as it gets fixed!
                        Last edited by Sidicas; 10-17-2011, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
                          SWEEET!!! Yea, I know there are problems but it's very difficult to put these kinds of problems into a bug report... There's not much to say, other than the fact that it just look graphically wrong under some situations, but not others.. Hopefully these fixes will make it that much easier to make the switch from KDE3 to KDE4 on my old laptop..

I don't know if there's really been any bug reports against KDE for this, as I've always just assumed it was a problem with the drivers since these problems don't happen with kwin when using the nvidia blob..

Everyone I've ever shown these graphical glitches to, has said it *really* does look like a driver bug.. I don't care whether it's a driver problem or a KWIN problem, so long as it gets fixed!
                          Actually screen display corruption or incorrect rendering is not all that difficult to describe. A few words of description and circumstances and a screenshot or a photo mostly does the job. This way you will find out if there are others with that problem and give the devs something to anchor their repair to.

Comment

Working...
                          X