Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Sad State Of FSF's High Priority Projects

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    They want to replace google earth with open source software running with openstreetmap data? How exactly are you going to get satellite imagery from GPS traces? Right, didn't think it would work..... the data HAS to come from *somewhere*, and GPS traces won't provide it.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      They want to replace google earth with open source software running with openstreetmap data? How exactly are you going to get satellite imagery from GPS traces? Right, didn't think it would work..... the data HAS to come from *somewhere*, and GPS traces won't provide it.
      There is already Marble and there has already been data given by the US and other countries and states to Open Street Map.

      TomTom navigation, for example, already allows people to update maps by tracking in case of when road work is being done or streets have changed. It actually works better than the official maps, because those are drawn.

      GPS tracking is more precise. It's like MS Office where it gets more usefull the more it is used.
      Last edited by V!NCENT; 10-17-2011, 09:45 AM.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        There is already Marble and there has already been data given by the US and other countries and states to Open Street Map.

        TomTom navigation, for example, already allows people to update maps by tracking in case of when road work is being done or streets have changed. It actually works better than the official maps, because those are drawn.

        GPS tracking is more precise. It's like MS Office where it gets more usefull the more it is used.
        You're missing the entire point, or have no idea what google earth actually IS.
        Google earth is about the SATELLITE PICTURES. Not the street maps. I'm not arguing against the utility of GPS traces, but about the INAPPLICABILITY TO THE PROBLEM.

        Its like your boss coming to you and telling you that they need rocket guidance software, and you give them a word processor. Your word processor may be really great, but does nothing to guide rockets -- you missed the point.

        Comment


        • #49
          @Droidhacker,

          Satalite images are what was donated. Not streets.

          I have to admit that they suck. (Zoomlevel not higher than the size of Germany, lol.)

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            @Droidhacker,

            Satalite images are what was donated. Not streets.

            I have to admit that they suck. (Zoomlevel not higher than the size of Germany, lol.)
            Well in that case, I suppose you *could* do a google earth replacement..... that sucks

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
              Well in that case, I suppose you *could* do a google earth replacement..... that sucks
              Yeah, lol

              But who cares about Google Earth? Nobody has it installed anymore (that I know of). I'll invent a name for it; hypeware.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                Yeah, lol

                But who cares about Google Earth? Nobody has it installed anymore (that I know of). I'll invent a name for it; hypeware.
                Well, it is a little better than that actually -- there is some data that it outputs that is very useful, coordinates, elevation, eye altitude. These could be generated by a topographical map as well, but the visual link between the topographical map and the satellite imagery is actually quite powerful. I'm not too certain how many people actually realize that you can view a 3D landscape. I actually used it once to set up a long range wifi relay network, I set up some tripods with pairs of transceivers and solar panels, and positioned them on high spots to run a network to somewhere that no cell signal dare reach. Its neat what you can do with an 80 watt 12v solar panel, an RV battery, and a couple of Ubiquity Power Stations....

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                  Well, it is a little better than that actually -- there is some data that it outputs that is very useful, coordinates, elevation, eye altitude. These could be generated by a topographical map as well, but the visual link between the topographical map and the satellite imagery is actually quite powerful. I'm not too certain how many people actually realize that you can view a 3D landscape. I actually used it once to set up a long range wifi relay network, I set up some tripods with pairs of transceivers and solar panels, and positioned them on high spots to run a network to somewhere that no cell signal dare reach. Its neat what you can do with an 80 watt 12v solar panel, an RV battery, and a couple of Ubiquity Power Stations....
                  Did you make money, providing ISP services?

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    Did you make money, providing ISP services?
                    I wasn't really doing much in the way of providing ISP services. Private network for relative with more money than brains... Made a few $$, but had a lot of fun messing around with the equipment.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                      I wasn't really doing much in the way of providing ISP services. Private network for relative with more money than brains... Made a few $$, but had a lot of fun messing around with the equipment.
                      Very nice

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Skype replacement

                        We do have an active and forward moving project for replacing Skype with entirely free (as in freedom) software that offers standards compliant mesh networks as part of the FSF skype initiative. This effort includes active releases of our sip protocol mediation server, GNU SIP Witch, which is already a formal package in the GNU Project, as well as development of a mesh capable free software client as part of GNU Free Call. I would not describe what we do as "open source", as we are a free software project, but we do fully welcome all participation. Information about our architecture, plans, and activities can be found at http://www.gnutelephony.org. We are also developing SIP connectivity as an addon to friendica, which is secure and federated distributed social networking that already works.

                        In regard to reverse engineering Skype, it is not a process we are interested in, as we want to make sure the foundation is designed from the beginning to assure privacy and support anonymity, as well as federated operation, rather than imposing a provider as a mediation between all communications or for finding users. We don't wish to replace Skype so much as we wish to make the need for "a" Skype, as something that needs to be hosted or otherwise controlled by a single provider, to disappear. We are interested also in entirely self-organizing calling networks, such as for emergency services.

                        However, I will note that while we (within GNU Telephony) are not ourselves interested in it, reverse engineering is by itself an entirely legal and protected activity when done correctly.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                          That is the thing I don't understand about all this "microkernel" stuff.
                          During the Halloween season, I watched a movie about a girl who had died in a car accident at the beginning of the movie, but spent 90 minutes of footage not realizing it. She moved to another city. Got a job as a church organist. Got fired. Got another job. And then the zombies came and took her away to the underworld or wherever, where she finally had realized she belonged.

                          It reminded me very much of microkernel developers.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                            Yeah, lol

                            But who cares about Google Earth? Nobody has it installed anymore (that I know of). I'll invent a name for it; hypeware.
                            I use KDE's Marble virtual globe. In some ways it's better than Google Earth, in some ways it's worse. But, it is free and open source software and it uses OpenStreetMap for driving directions and such. OpenStreetMap data is a combination of public domain and free content licensed maps. Even if you replaced Google Earth with a free software client, you still need a map source that's not from them, because their Google Earth data is not under a free content license.

                            I think Marble is the closest thing that exists to fulfilling the goals of an open Google Earth replacement. Though again, I admit it has a few rough edges. I don't really like Google software anyway. They tend to make nonfree software that needs WINE libraries or open core software like Chromium that is a bad port of the Windows version and opens your system up to attack from what claims to be a security feature. I think Google just has no idea how to write good software and the abundance of Windows programmers that they hire probably doesn't help.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X