Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PulseAudio 1.0 Is Now Released With New Features

Phoronix: PulseAudio 1.0 Is Now Released With New Features

PulseAudio, the common Linux sound server that initially caused many headaches for Linux desktop users, has finally reached version 1.0...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTk0Ng

when do i get it for my distro ?

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
      when do i get it for my distro ?
      It's in Gentoo portage - is that your distro?

Comment

nope, its chuck testa...

i use ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          It's in Gentoo portage - is that your distro?
          Cool, I guess I'll have to resync this evening then. Looking forward to breaking my system!

Comment

In my experience, pulseaudio was itself not often responsible for headaches. What WAS responsible for the headaches was distro's POOR IMPLEMENTATION of pulse audio (bad defaults, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
              In my experience, pulseaudio was itself not often responsible for headaches. What WAS responsible for the headaches was distro's POOR IMPLEMENTATION of pulse audio (bad defaults, etc.).

Hopefully after seeing all the negativity as well as getting input about what's broken, then the PA devs decided to finally fix it

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                Hopefully after seeing all the negativity as well as getting input about what's broken, then the PA devs decided to finally fix it
                In case you can't read.... I said that pulseaudio wasn't the problem and the negativity, therefore, was UNJUSTIFIED.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                  Agree 100% - or the distro managers un tangle it from various DEs and let the masses go back to something that works without deleting the whole disk in the process (Providing that still haven't fixed what was broken after 5 years in development :-D).

I wonder if ID games will work now... That's been my only showstopper with using PU... err.. PA.

Joe

Comment

In case you can't read.... I said that pulseaudio wasn't the problem and the negativity, therefore, was UNJUSTIFIED.
                    Whatever the problem was I'm sure hopeful that the PA devs have had discussions with the devs of major distros to clarify the technical matters in packaging, also in dealing with bugs reported by distros to the PA devs.

PA sure has a way of working properly only in certain configurations with problems reported in others. If it worked for you then that's great...have you ever given feedback on what worked for you so others can get it working for them?

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxRocks View Post
                      I wonder if ID games will work now... That's been my only showstopper with using PU... err.. PA.
                      Joe
                      What ID game has issues with PA? IIRC they all use SDL, and getting them to use pulse is just setting SDL to use puslse as an audio driver and not alsa.

Comment

True, but they had to use some workarounds sometimes due to broken hardware, so they also fixed non PA problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Milyardo View Post
                          What ID game has issues with PA? IIRC they all use SDL, and getting them to use pulse is just setting SDL to use puslse as an audio driver and not alsa.

Ancient history.

ID Engines had a nasty custom audio engine dating back to DOS days. Audio was NOT their strong point and ID engines were easily outclassed by other games of their days. The trouble with Linux and MMAP is that they used a mmap method for writing audio so therefore were not compatible with certain drivers/hardware and PA. Always troublesome.

The classic non-solution was just to tell people to buy hardware that supported hardware-based mixing.
                          The modern non-solution is to try to tell people to stop using PA.

Both pieces of advice _may_ fix the problem. May not. More then likely though it will just cause headaches for the person listening to them.

Most of the games that used the ID engines are either now using vastly improved open source versions, or have other work arounds. (like forcing them to use SDL for audio)

We are talking about things like Doom, Quake 1, Quake 2, Quake 3, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                            True, but they had to use some workarounds sometimes due to broken hardware, so they also fixed non PA problems.
                            It was not so much broken hardware, but shitty drivers.

This is why you have wikis full of old information about making custom asoundrc files and such.

Basically it's the driver's job to inform userspace what type of audio/buffer/etc that the hardware supports. However a great deal of Linux drivers were giving incorrect information to userspace and had other issues. The key then to good audio experience for a lot of people in the Bad-old-days was to create a custom asoundrc file that forced the correct audio stream for their hardware. Plus users could configure dmix plugin for mixing multiple audio streams on hardware that didn't support it.

(on a side note: hardware mixing stomps on audio quality. You can generally get better audio quality out of non-mixing hardware. Software can use better algorithms and if you want you can disable it altogether. With things like soundblaster/audigy-style hardware all your audio was remixed whether you liked it or not. Modern stuff is a bit better, but not by a whole lot)

Either that or people were forced to do something gaud-aweful.. like install OSS drivers or run some sort of twisted compatibility mode on top of artsd or something like that

The reason this is bad is that instead of just fixing the stupid drivers, each and every user was forced to rediscover the same fix everybody else is using and re-implement everything themselves. A huge PITA for everybody. Made Linux look like shit.

When PA came around a bunch of people were all upset that now their cherished hacks and workarounds were completely ignored. Instead of allowing users to 'fix' their problems through elaborate and confusing system of settings, PA just depended on the drivers to do their job... correctly. And hence a huge number of bugs came to the surface. Most of which has been fixed by now.
                            Last edited by drag; 09-27-2011, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Yes. Completely unjustified that no one got it configured correctly except for the developers. :-)

It added so many new and interesting issues. Even recently with ubuntu the mic still doesn't work properly (why is it showing my one channel mic with 2 channels, with them by default locked together, with one channel canceling out the other channel? Allot of chat programs auto adjust the mic volume, which causes them to resync together, muting the mic volume. Who the heck made it so upping the volume on a mic channel mutes it!? It took me several days to figure that one out.)

Audio issues were the reason why I stopped using linux for my main computers.

Anyways.... I hope they've fixed some of their issues with their 1.0 release. (Please, please... let the issues be fixed)

Comment

Working...
                              X