No announcement yet.

Longene: The Linux Kernel With Windows Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're using Wine. Check the screenshots in their application compatibility list.

Comment

I don't know why everybody is so negative about this project.
      I admit that I'm a little bit anxious about support for Windows binaries on Linux.
      On the other had I also admire this project.
      It does exactly what open-source stands for.
      Open-source is about encouraging people to create or modify software to their needs.
      Of course we have projects like WINE, but the creator of Longene obviously feels a need for another approach of realizing a way to get Windows programs to work.
      So I hope this person will still be putting his effort in this project, so everybody who uses Linux has maximum freedom of choice on how their system will be installed / configured.

Greetings Jasper

Comment

"Unfortunately, it's maturity is far from being comparable to Wine"
        ... so in other words... its WORSE than useless

Jasper: There are far more useful areas in which to contribute to Linux rather than to try to homogenize the desktop operating system landscape.... and far LESS DESTRUCTIVE areas. One of the reasons why a lot of software developers don't write Linux software is because of the mistaken idea they have, that WINE or similar emulators (and don't let anyone fool you into thinking that it isn't an emulator.... it is) will be able to magically make their binaries work on Linux. Without testing, they typically assume or suggest (I've heard it from software makers), that you can "just run it in wine" and it will work.

In my opinion, MS is in the final days of its empire. Its falling apart. THEY know it, but the world is somewhat oblivious to it. Mobile computers are taking over for the desktop, and these are getting smaller.... cell phones and tablets. The average person can now use these instead of a desktop, so they'll most likely be using Android/Linux (since it is the world's most dominant smartphone operating system). Meanwhile, MS has virtually 0% of the mobile market and really not going anywhere.

In my opinion, MS will go away over the next several years. There is no sense wasting resources to prolong its demise. It only existed to begin with because of a serious of very serious blunders (predominantly made by IBM...), but it is dying as a result of a truly competitive market.

Comment

MS won't go away. Their market is primarily in the enterprise, were you won't find many people filling SAP forms using a mobile device.

Comment

@droidhacker

Tablets and smartphones are no replacement for a desktop computer, or even a laptop. there is a huge difference in power/performance. the type of applications a lot of people use on a desktop don't really run all that well in a mobile device, if at all. and by that i mean, take a good look at android's apps and iOS's apps.... do you really think app wise, that either platform really does away with what OSes like WIN/MAC/LINUX provide? I think not.

The interface of a tablet/smartphone, while interesting, pretty much sucks in many fundamental ways - prime example typing. So do you think droidhacker, being able to type fast isn't as important as being able to 'flip' to some weather, GPS application or game??? another example - how about screen size, ya, everyone is just going to ditch their 17" to 27" displays, everyone would rather use a 4" or 8" display instead, it just makes more sense right? lol.

do you also think that gamers will drop their desktop gaming PC, to instead only play Android games? lol. probably not. Do you also think that someone like myself who writes music on a computer will be doing that with Android instead? bah hah ha. How about running all of my Virtual machines for work? oh, didn't you hear, the new HTC running android comes with 16gig of RAM and the latest i7 CPU, 2tb HD with RAID 0 and also comes pre-installed with VMware workstation for android. awesome, right? too bad it's a fantasy, but hey - who really needs to be able to do that anyway, what we really need to be able to do is browse the web and type 3 words a minute. lol.

I could go on and on. the point is Tablets and smartphones serve a much different purpose than Desktop PCs and laptops. While i do agree for some people, specifically those who only require a browser, facebook, email, etc, may replace their desktop with a tablet, the majority of people wont. they will own both, because each device is better suited for certain tasks.

I think you are buying into the hype, and not looking at the situation realistically. The same goes for your Microsoft comments. While it's possible, MS could lose some marketshare in desktop computing over the next few year ~ business and the corporate world won't be dropping Windows anytime soon, and by soon i mean atleast a decade, if even then... as there is a lot of dependence on MS software and infrastructure, and i don't see that changing anytime soon.

...back to the actual thread topic, which isn't about tablets/smartphones doing away with windows;

While i do think Longene is a waste of time, i would have to disagree with Wine being a waste of time. There are tons of windows apps that work very well in wine ~ i have used many, and still use many. The ones i do use, there pretty much is no software for linux that is equal, which tends to be the reason i have them installed in wine. Some apps do 'just work' in wine, and i think it is silly to think that people won't port stuff to linux because Wine exists.

People usually don't port to linux, because they don't use Linux or there are other problems like lack of a stable ABI, API's, etc. While it's certainly possible that some windows developers assume that there software will just work in wine, I think the majority don't make that grand assumption. There is also the issue for developers, where they are not familiar with various libs, toolkits, APIs, etc found in gnu/linux, but are very familiar with windows. Because of this, many developers end up using MS specific stuff in their code... so they don't want to have to rewrite there app, because it the end it isn't all the portable and also they probably aren't using Linux anyway....

it's not exactly good motivation to port or develop software on an OS, they don't even use, right?

anyway, that's my 2 cents.

cheerz
            Last edited by ninez; 09-09-2011, 08:35 AM.

Comment

This is absoletely useless and totally wasted. We have an open source NT implementation goin on, capable of running Posix stuff and Windows stuff on Linux and other Posix OSs.

That said; why would anyone want to run that shit, instead of Wine or ReactOS? Nobody.

I have a soft spot in my heart for many not succesfull OSs, but this shit can go straight to the garbage bin because it's absolutely braindead.

Comment

Originally posted by demonkoryu View Post
                MS won't go away. Their market is primarily in the enterprise, were you won't find many people filling SAP forms using a mobile device.
                The enterprise market isn't exactly enamored with Windows' cost and security liabilities and many companies are moving to web-based apps where their desktops no longer need to run Windows. I've seen a bunch of corporate IT people posting on the web about how much they want to get away from Windows and how that will allow them to do it.

Nor is it a good place for a company that wants to make money by selling upgrades every two years, since most companies skipped Vista entirely and will probably skip Windows 8 as well.

Interestingly I was reading a thread yesterday by some Microsoft employees bemoaning the fact that Microsoft had stagnated in the consumer market while concentrating on enterprise and hence had nothing to compete in the emerging markets like phones and tablets.

Comment

Reminds me of a dream I had

This particular project looks like it would need a great deal more developers and community support to really get anywhere, but it reminded me of something kinda funny. Last week I dreamed that Google bought Microsoft for $8 billion. Even in the dream I was shocked because that's less than Motorola Mobility cost. After that, Larry Page announced their plan was to release Windows 8 the way it is, because it's too late in the cycle, but rebase Windows 9 on the Linux kernel, implement the API and other things needed for full compatibility while keeping most of the secure underlying framework intact, and adding the rest of the Windows experience as an optional (but default) desktop environment alongside Gnome and KDE etc. I woke up and thought, of all the ways the Year of the Linux Desktop could happen, that would be the weirdest.
                  -Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DEmmons View Post
                    Last week I dreamed that Google bought Microsoft for $8 billion.
                    Seriously? Of all the things in the world, you think that's threatening?!

What has this world become?

Comment

Originally posted by DEmmons View Post
                      This particular project looks like it would need a great deal more developers and community support to really get anywhere, but it reminded me of something kinda funny. Last week I dreamed that Google bought Microsoft for $8 billion. Even in the dream I was shocked because that's less than Motorola Mobility cost. After that, Larry Page announced their plan was to release Windows 8 the way it is, because it's too late in the cycle, but rebase Windows 9 on the Linux kernel, implement the API and other things needed for full compatibility while keeping most of the secure underlying framework intact, and adding the rest of the Windows experience as an optional (but default) desktop environment alongside Gnome and KDE etc. I woke up and thought, of all the ways the Year of the Linux Desktop could happen, that would be the weirdest.
                      -Dan
                      I predict similar things to happen in the future too. Basically both mobile platforms use a *nix type platform. Both are shooting ahead much faster than Moore's law... We have 1.4ghz duel core, tegra 2 phones that are like computers from 5 to 6 years ago. Does that mean in one year, we will have quad core phones with GPU's fast enough to play most current console games? I completely believe so! if Steam is released onto the Linux platform, and ESPECIALLY the mobile phone platform (android?) we will see a surge of games move towards Linux. This will take a huge blow in the M$ camp. I don't want to see Microsoft go down the gurgler (toilet), but unless they do something smart soon, they're going to have to start playing catch-up!

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                        Seriously? Of all the things in the world, you think that's threatening?!

What has this world become?
                        haha, threatening? it was a goofy dream, this morning dreamed I was a survivor of a Zombie apocalypse and found an incredibly light prototype Linux netbook with a touchscreen in an abandoned building, and was sad that there would be no new innovations like that because of the Zombies. It's probably unhealthy how many of my dreams incorporate Linux, but no, I don't think MS is going to die this decade.

Comment

Working...
                        X