Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New GIMP Release Has Working Single-Window Mode

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
    Seriously?
    There are two definitions for gimp that existed when they picked the name for the project.



    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/gimp
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bondage_suit



    So yeah, that's why I think it is a bad name for a program that isn't about S&M or gimping people.
    I still don't see what's offensive about "GIMP". The capitalization makes it pretty obvious this is an acronym, not a derogatory word.

    Maybe it's because I don't live in US or Canada (like most GIMP users - imagine that!)

    Comment


    • #17
      *shrug* Single window mode is for people with shitty window managers.


      take Photoshop as a example...
      Photoshop for OS X uses multiple separate windows.
      Photoshop for Windows uses single big window.

      Single Window mode is more about making Windows users happy then anything else, IMO.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        I still don't see what's offensive about "GIMP". The capitalization makes it pretty obvious this is an acronym, not a derogatory word.

        Maybe it's because I don't live in US or Canada (like most GIMP users - imagine that!)
        Blackstar, don't even bother with this.
        Everytime GIMP gets mentioned you have these people come out of the woodwork.
        I'm American and guess what? I haven't met too many people who know about the pulp fiction gimp reference, but they know the term "gimped" (meaning something damaged/broken; defective in some way).
        The people that are usually offended by this probably haven't seen the movie, and those who know the reference, for the most part, would think it's kinda cool.
        This is all from my experience, and obviously MHO.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by drag View Post
          *shrug* Single window mode is for people with shitty window managers.


          take Photoshop as a example...
          Photoshop for OS X uses multiple separate windows.
          Photoshop for Windows uses single big window.

          Single Window mode is more about making Windows users happy then anything else, IMO.
          People say this, but I haven't seen the window manager that makes it easier to use GIMP in native mode on a small single screen. Honestly, I don't see the advantage of separate windows without multiple monitors.
          Most WM do the same things, take the same hints.
          As for Windows, XP had a damn good WM 10 years ago. It let you group windows in the window list, offset stacking, tiling (horizontal/vertical and fit, IIRC). That's not too bad, IMHO.

          Best/Liam

          Comment


          • #20
            If multiple windows were such a great idea, Gimp wouldn't be the only program using them. I can't think of any other program I run which splatters multiple windows all over the screen and forces them to the front so that I end up with about a quarter of the screen available to actually see the image I'm working with.

            The current Gimp UI is an abomination. Maybe it's better if you have multiple windows and use it all day, but I absolutely hate it... just not quite enough to boot into Windows so I can use something better instead.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by liam View Post
              People say this, but I haven't seen the window manager that makes it easier to use GIMP in native mode on a small single screen. Honestly, I don't see the advantage of separate windows without multiple monitors.
              I'll have dialogs I don't use very much on the next desktop.

              Most WM do the same things, take the same hints.
              Some are broken. Kwin had issues with Gimp's hint last time I looked (for example). Windows would get mixed up with other windows from other applications. I don't know if they fixed it not since then. It was a while ago.

              As for Windows, XP had a damn good WM 10 years ago. It let you group windows in the window list, offset stacking, tiling (horizontal/vertical and fit, IIRC). That's not too bad, IMHO.
              In practice it was pretty miserable. Each to their own, though.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Steve K View Post
                do the GIMP UI developers even know what a tear-off menu is?
                Dear Steve,

                We invented it.

                Sincerely yours,
                GIMP team

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by del_diablo View Post
                  ua=42: Window changing size without permission, window leaving fullscreen without permision, etc.
                  Yep, this almost feels like they broke single-window mode on purpose, almost like "Hey, you want single-window mode?? Here you go, you annoying pricks! Now try to use it even though we made it constantly change it's own size on every single file open/close operation! Bwahahahahaha". Multi-window mode is actually a whole lot better than single window mode in its current state. And what about the huge ass icons/tiles that adorn the open file tabs? Version 2.7 so far feels like a regression to me.

                  PS: Steve K is right for the most part. Right now, apart from UI issues, GIMP only needs a handful of features to become very competitive in the photo editing business.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    i love the new interface

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by devius View Post
                      Yep, this almost feels like they broke single-window mode on purpose, almost like "Hey, you want single-window mode?? Here you go, you annoying pricks! Now try to use it even though we made it constantly change it's own size on every single file open/close operation! Bwahahahahaha".
                      Ah, I take it as fixing a related issue should offend you even more.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by prokoudine View Post
                        Ah, I take it as fixing a related issue should offend you even more.
                        Well, it's good that issue is already fixed! However the UI really needs a ton of work. Somehow, even not counting those maximize/unmaximize issues, single-window mode doesn't feel right. Just taking the existing docks and stapling them to the main window doesn't work very well. A few classic toolbars would probably be a better approach. I was hoping the single-window mode would be an awesome new feature, but instead I ended up going back to multi-window mode.

                        PS: Haven't tried the newer 2.7.3 version. This is my opinion on how things were with 2.7.2

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by devius View Post
                          Well, it's good that issue is already fixed! However the UI really needs a ton of work. Somehow, even not counting those maximize/unmaximize issues, single-window mode doesn't feel right. Just taking the existing docks and stapling them to the main window doesn't work very well. A few classic toolbars would probably be a better approach. I was hoping the single-window mode would be an awesome new feature, but instead I ended up going back to multi-window mode.
                          All new things require polish. It was ever so There was a plan to add even more features to further justify the optional single-window mode, but the functional spec wasn't ready in time for 2.8 development cycle, that's all.

                          As for classic toolbars, the UI folks make vertical space a priority due to dominance of 16:9 and 16:10 displays.

                          Finally, it's not just "taking the existing docks and stapling them to the main window". Quite a few things have changed in the docking infrastructure. Most visibly, you can now docks stuff sideways, not just top and bottom. Also, there are some changes in widgets with intention to make things more compact and useful.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by drag View Post
                            I'll have dialogs I don't use very much on the next desktop.



                            Some are broken. Kwin had issues with Gimp's hint last time I looked (for example). Windows would get mixed up with other windows from other applications. I don't know if they fixed it not since then. It was a while ago.



                            In practice it was pretty miserable. Each to their own, though.
                            You should be able to close windows/menus you don't use.
                            Certainly WM hints are not equally implemented everywhere. Good point. If you don't mind me asking, what WM do you use?
                            As for WXP WM, it seemed pretty full featured for a WM which nearly every *nixer dismissed as crap. I won't argue as to the ability/lack-there-of to assign keystrokes which would make it less usable, however.

                            Best/Liam

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by prokoudine View Post
                              All new things require polish. It was ever so There was a plan to add even more features to further justify the optional single-window mode, but the functional spec wasn't ready in time for 2.8 development cycle, that's all.

                              As for classic toolbars, the UI folks make vertical space a priority due to dominance of 16:9 and 16:10 displays.

                              Finally, it's not just "taking the existing docks and stapling them to the main window". Quite a few things have changed in the docking infrastructure. Most visibly, you can now docks stuff sideways, not just top and bottom. Also, there are some changes in widgets with intention to make things more compact and useful.
                              You sound like you follow the development pretty closely. Do you know what the plan is for gtk3?

                              Best/Liam

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by liam View Post
                                You should be able to close windows/menus you don't use.
                                Certainly WM hints are not equally implemented everywhere.
                                When they are implemented, but don't work.. That is a problem.

                                Good point. If you don't mind me asking, what WM do you use?
                                Metacity before, Gnome-shell now.

                                As for WXP WM, it seemed pretty full featured for a WM which nearly every *nixer dismissed as crap.
                                Features don't matter much to me. It's what works. Simpler the better.

                                Like I pointed out Photoshop in OS X uses nothing but multiple windows and nobody has a issue with it at all. It works without people realizing it works. Zero effort. But in Windows you can't get away with that sort of thing.

                                Linux desktop suffers heavily from too much comparability and to much complexity. It just ends up buggy with no uniformity.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X