Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Chrome Burn Through More Power Than Firefox?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome eats more power, becose it can properly utilize all cpu core in the system, due to the better multiprocessing/multithreading, and the far better quality of the code. Firefox only can run plugins an a different process, so complitely lacks this capability, wich is very giant design flaw in 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Geri View Post
      Chrome eats more power, becose it can properly utilize all cpu core in the system, due to the better multiprocessing/multithreading, and the far better quality of the code. Firefox only can run plugins an a different process, so complitely lacks this capability, wich is very giant design flaw in 2011.
      Mozilla's Electrolysis project is tackling this issue. I think Electrolysis is coming to Firefox in Firefox 7 or Firefox 8 - I couldn't find the relevant web page.

Comment

OK, it looks like Electrolysis (also known as e10s) will be coming to Firefox later than I thought. From the Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2011-08-16:

Firefox Development
        • Ongoing e10s work:

* e10s-compat build time flag has browser standing up, but no progress events
        * felipe is working on having the WPL listeners work (bug 666801)
        * coming week we’re going to be filing some additional bugs and directing fx-team’s full attention to them (bug fxe10s)
        Note that the build-time switch is actually –enable-e10s-compat

Comment

If anyone is interested, the Mozilla QA team posted the following on Sunday, 21 August 2011:

We’ll be having a testday next Friday for Firefox 7 Beta. This is an excellent opportunity to start getting involved for newcomers and experts alike. Stay tuned as details will be posted very shortly.
          and:

If you’d like to help us test or simply learn what is involved with testing Firefox, come join us in #qa and ask us how you can help with Firefox 7, 8, or 9.

Comment

Thank you for the relevant informations. I personally will wait for the final official and automated installers, i dont like to play with such settings.

Comment

Working...
            X