Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The GPU Acceleration Situation In Firefox 6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    That's incorrect. In a few days after FF6 is released, the Type Inference work will land on mozilla-central, which brings some pretty massive js performance improvements on some tests. Then they are working on improving their garbage collector to be incremental and generational, which will make another big improvement. Then will come IonMonkey, which will allow further optimizations.

    There's a lot of work going on to improve performance.
    Ya.. I just did a comparison between Firefox 3.5 and Firefox 6...

    v8 Benchmark version 6

    Score
    Firefox 3.5: 226
    Firefox 6: 2254

    I also don't have any GPU accelerations enabled in Firefox 6.. So definitely there's been significant improvements.. So yea, according to this benchmark Firefox 6 is 10x faster than Firefox 3.5 on the exact same hardware (Intel Pentium M 2.0 Ghz).

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by b15hop View Post
      On win7 HPE x64 with 8GB of ram, onboard HD 5730, i7 720QM, I get 60+ fps with FF5. Not yet tried FF6... Will get back to you on this one...
      How is your comment relevant in relation to the topic, "The GPU Acceleration Situation In Firefox 6"?

      My point was that GPU acceleration does work to some extent in Firefox 6 for the open source Linux Gallium3D drivers for AMD/ATI r600/r700/Evergreen/N.Islands GPUs (r600g).

      Your point?

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by hal2k1 View Post
        How is your comment relevant in relation to the topic, "The GPU Acceleration Situation In Firefox 6"?

        My point was that GPU acceleration does work to some extent in Firefox 6 for the open source Linux Gallium3D drivers for AMD/ATI r600/r700/Evergreen/N.Islands GPUs (r600g).

        Your point?
        Actually, that test doesn't have anything to do with the Mesa 3D drivers. (r600g)

        It's testing Cairo and XRender performance. On Win7 it will test Direct2D instead.

        I believe there was some bug in the way they were using xrender they fixed which brought the big speedup. (using the PAD extension?)

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          Actually, that test doesn't have anything to do with the Mesa 3D drivers. (r600g)

          It's testing Cairo and XRender performance. On Win7 it will test Direct2D instead.

          I believe there was some bug in the way they were using xrender they fixed which brought the big speedup. (using the PAD extension?)
          Xrender is an interface between the program which wishes to draw graphics and the GPU 3D drivers.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XRender

          "It is designed to target the 3D graphics capabilities of newer video cards."

          Xrender performance has everything to do with the 3D drivers.

          Cairo graphics has several back-ends:

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo_%28graphics%29

          "Cairo is designed to use hardware acceleration when available."

          "Cairo supports output to a number of different backends, known as "surfaces" in its code. Backend support includes output to the X Window System, Win32 GDI, Mac OS X Quartz, the BeOS API, OS/2, OpenGL contexts (directly and via glitz)"

          Cairo graphics rendering performance can therefore also be greatly enhanced by the GPU drivers.

          Regarding "On Win7 it will test Direct2D instead" - Phoronix is a Linux forum. Off topic.
          Last edited by hal2k1; 08-16-2011, 03:21 AM.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by hal2k1 View Post
            Xrender is an interface between the program which wishes to draw graphics and the GPU 3D drivers.

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XRender

            "It is designed to target the 3D graphics capabilities of newer video cards."

            Xrender performance has everything to do with the 3D drivers.
            I know what XRender is. Support for it uses the 3D hardware (at least for non-Intel or post-SBA) but it is coded in the DDX drivers that come with X.Org. It has absolutely nothing to do with Mesa or r600g, other than the fact that people working on one may improve some common code in the kernel and end up helping both.

            Cairo graphics has several back-ends:

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo_%28graphics%29

            "Cairo is designed to use hardware acceleration when available."

            "Cairo supports output to a number of different backends, known as "surfaces" in its code. Backend support includes output to the X Window System, Win32 GDI, Mac OS X Quartz, the BeOS API, OS/2, OpenGL contexts (directly and via glitz)"

            Cairo graphics rendering performance can therefore also be greatly enhanced by the GPU drivers.
            Cairo uses XRender by default in this case (the X Window System support you mention), which is done by the 2D DDX drivers. It has an experimental OpenGL backend but that is not used and not ready to be used.

            Regarding "On Win7 it will test Direct2D instead" - Phoronix is a Linux forum. Off topic.
            I was referring to one of the previous commenters who stated they got 60+ fps on Win7. That is because of the D2D support Firefox added, and not because of fast D3D support. Similarly, on Linux it is testing the DDX driver through XRender and not OpenGL in the gallium drivers.
            Last edited by smitty3268; 08-16-2011, 04:00 AM.

            Comment


            • #21
              Firefox gpu acceleration in linux is still absolute shot for me (its only gotten semi-usable in firefox 8). It just makes everything slower right now If I enable opengl layers.

              I have intel ironlake graphics.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by hal2k1 View Post
                How is your comment relevant in relation to the topic, "The GPU Acceleration Situation In Firefox 6"?

                My point was that GPU acceleration does work to some extent in Firefox 6 for the open source Linux Gallium3D drivers for AMD/ATI r600/r700/Evergreen/N.Islands GPUs (r600g).

                Your point?
                Yeah have not tested in Linux as yet.

                V8 Benchmark Suite - version 6:
                Code:
                Score: 4188
                Richards: 5977
                DeltaBlue: 4734
                Crypto: 6658
                RayTrace: 4042
                EarleyBoyer: 3949
                RegExp: 1266
                Splay: 5935
                That was tested again in win7 hpe x64 but this time with a 4870 x2 on firefox 6...
                When I try out the linux catalyst drivers I can use them to compare speed.

                Comment


                • #23
                  How well does your PC do with this benchmark?
                  http://demos.hacks.mozilla.org/openweb/HWACCEL/


                  I get <1 FPS without GPU acceleration under Linux w/ Catalyst 9.3 drivers..

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I get 25 fps with open source driver and radeon integrated graphics.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by b15hop View Post
                      That was tested again in win7 hpe x64 but this time with a 4870 x2 on firefox 6...
                      When I try out the linux catalyst drivers I can use them to compare speed.
                      Maybe I didn't understand your post, but GPU and graphics drivers will have no impact on the V8 tests.

                      That is a javascript CPU only test.

                      GPU acceleration will only affect stuff that is actually drawing something on the screen.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                        I get 25 fps with open source driver and radeon integrated graphics.
                        I get 33 fps with open source radeon Gallium3D driver, for either my R710 GPU graphics card system or my AMD C50 Ontairo Fusion APU netbook.

                        On both I get about 44 fps if I disable kwin compositing.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                          Maybe I didn't understand your post, but GPU and graphics drivers will have no impact on the V8 tests.

                          That is a javascript CPU only test.

                          GPU acceleration will only affect stuff that is actually drawing something on the screen.
                          Not only was the OP not talking about graphics GPU acceleration, he was also talking about Windows. WTF?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
                            How well does your PC do with this benchmark?
                            http://demos.hacks.mozilla.org/openweb/HWACCEL/


                            I get <1 FPS without GPU acceleration under Linux w/ Catalyst 9.3 drivers..
                            ubuntu 11.04
                            open drivers
                            radeon 4850
                            firefox 6
                            60+ fps

                            V8
                            Score: 3317
                            Richards: 5072
                            DeltaBlue: 3921
                            Crypto: 2998
                            RayTrace: 3967
                            EarleyBoyer: 4150
                            RegExp: 1357

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              V8 scores

                              V8 benchmark scores should go up about 1000 points when TI lands. After that, FF devs seem to think most of the rest of the difference between it and Chrome comes down to the garbage collector. Planned changes to bring the FF GC up to speed are upcoming, but may not happen for another 3-4 months while TI settles.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                                Firefox gpu acceleration in linux is still absolute shot for me (its only gotten semi-usable in firefox 8). It just makes everything slower right now If I enable opengl layers.

                                I have intel ironlake graphics.
                                Strange.
                                On a T510 with 4500MHD(Ironlake) I see no change in performance whether I force-enable acceleration or not (and for that firefox rotational benchmark mentioned earlier I get around 44fps on an M620).
                                However, I DID have massive slowdowns awhile back with FF4, IIRC.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X