Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adobe Flash 11 Beta 2 Is More Stable, Faster On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Adobe Flash 11 Beta 2 Is More Stable, Faster On Linux

    Phoronix: Adobe Flash 11 Beta 2 Is More Stable, Faster On Linux

    For those that missed it, this week Adobe released a second beta of their forthcoming Flash 11 platform for Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows users. The first Adobe Flash 11 beta was christened by mainline 64-bit support after the earlier x86_64 Flash "Square" beta had fallen months out of date, but there's also other features to the 11.0 release...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTc4Mw

  • #2
    You probably should rephrase your titles. It looks like you are saying that the Linux client is faster and more stable than the Windows client. What you mean is that it has improved compared to previous versions.

    Comment


    • #3
      early testing and the feedback of Phoronix readers has just yielded the Linux binary at least is a lot faster and more stable than last month's beta.
      Can you get an Archlinux test system too, please?
      Beause, no it isn't faster. It's still horrible as the beta 1. With horrible I mean, watching a low resolution video is not working fluently on an i5 480M@2,9GHz with HD 6550 on fglrx. Extreme tearing and large stutters. I think it renders everything in Software and draws everything to screen with no hardware acceleration whatsoever.

      Makes me wonder whether it loads some libraries dynamically on your Ubuntu or whatever you test it on.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
        Can you get an Archlinux test system too, please?
        Beause, no it isn't faster. It's still horrible as the beta 1. With horrible I mean, watching a low resolution video is not working fluently on an i5 480M@2,9GHz with HD 6550 on fglrx. Extreme tearing and large stutters. I think it renders everything in Software and draws everything to screen with no hardware acceleration whatsoever.

        Makes me wonder whether it loads some libraries dynamically on your Ubuntu or whatever you test it on.
        He's probably testing it with VDPAU.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
          I think it renders everything in Software and draws everything to screen with no hardware acceleration whatsoever.
          That's not Flash's fault. Hardware accelerated video decoding is one thing (and in the absence of this your Core i5 480M@2,9GHz CPU should not have much problem decoding the video stream), while hardware accelerated rendering and drawing to screen is another thing entirely. If your Radeon HD 6550 is not providing hardware accelerated rendering then there may be a problem with the setup of your system. What is the output of glxinfo | grep render ? To run this command you may first need to install the mesa-utils package.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by madbiologist View Post
            That's not Flash's fault. Hardware accelerated video decoding is one thing (and in the absence of this your Core i5 480M@2,9GHz CPU should not have much problem decoding the video stream), while hardware accelerated rendering and drawing to screen is another thing entirely. If your Radeon HD 6550 is not providing hardware accelerated rendering then there may be a problem with the setup of your system. What is the output of glxinfo | grep render ? To run this command you may first need to install the mesa-utils package.
            My system is fine:
            Code:
            chris@chrisl ~ % LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo | grep render
            libGL: AtiGetClientDriverName: 8.87.5 fglrx (screen 0)
            libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri//fglrx_dri.so
            ukiDynamicMajor: found major device number 252
            ukiDynamicMajor: found major device number 252
            ukiOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID PCI:2:0:0
            ukiOpenDevice: node name is /dev/ati/card0
            ukiOpenDevice: open result is 6, (OK)
            ukiOpenByBusid: ukiOpenMinor returns 6
            ukiOpenByBusid: ukiGetBusid reports PCI:2:0:0
            direct rendering: Yes
            OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 6500M/5600/5700 Series
                GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, 
            chris@chrisl ~ %
            I use the 32 bit flash 10.3.181.35 in the meantime.
            Surprisingly,
            Code:
            EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
            OverrideGPUValidation=1
            in /etc/adobe/mms.cfg has a rather big impact on CPU usage. The cpu usage on fullscreen video is very low (for flash), embedded in a window it's a bit higher, but for flash it is still rather good.

            Bottom line: 64 bit flash 11 is much, much, much worse than 32 bit flash 10 on my machine.

            Comment


            • #7
              flash 10 disables composite features for fullscreen, flash 11 does not, did you notice that?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kano View Post
                flash 10 disables composite features for fullscreen, flash 11 does not, did you notice that?
                Hm.

                I try flash 11 beta2 with a 480p youtube video resized to the bigger option. X is using 80% cpu, firefox is using 30%.
                I put it to fullscreen and I got instantly extreme tearing. Also, the video runs about two seconds, then the video freezes for about two seconds while sound runs fine, then I get another two seconds of video (in sync), and another two seconds of freezing. All the time.
                Using flash in fullscreen doesn't really work. I can move my mouse around, but the controls of the youtube player don't show up and clicking left, right, double clicking etc. has absolutely no effect. So I leave fullscreen by minimizing everything ("show desktop" function). But then the controls don't work correctly in normal size either...

                KDE 4.7 with compositing, just installed the catalyst 11.8 preview driver (which is working fine).

                But yes, flash 10 has quite some delay when putting it in fullscreen. In windowed mode it needs 90% X and 40% nspluginwrapper, so this is actually worse. Just in fullscreen it works surprisingly well.


                Beta 2? More like pre-alpha.
                Last edited by ChrisXY; 08-13-2011, 04:23 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  He's probably testing it with VDPAU.
                  Doesn't matter. VDPAU decoding, but still software rendering. At least on 32bit.


                  flashplugin 11beta2





                  flashplugin 10.3

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks gedgon. Maybe it is Flash's fault after all. Does anyone know how we can figure out what is (not) happening?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hardware video rendering may be disabled for flash 11beta2 for some unknown reason. Hopefully the next beta or release, which ever comes sooner, it will be enabled.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Fullscreen video is still tearing (with Radeon OSS drivers). How disappointing. Back again to the 10.2 "square" beta.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          No problems here. I can play 1080p fullscreen videos from youtube. I have ATI 3200HD with OSS drivers running

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by icek View Post
                            No problems here. I can play 1080p fullscreen videos from youtube. I have ATI 3200HD with OSS drivers running
                            So, what's your secret that avoids tearing?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hmm, I have no idea. Its ok right after instalation. But here are some things that I change after instalation:
                              Compiz - disable vsync
                              xorg.conf - ColorTiling On, PageFlipping On,
                              /etc/adobe/mms.cfg -OverrideGPUValidation=true
                              Ubuntu 10.10, Firefox 6
                              Last edited by icek; 08-14-2011, 05:36 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X