Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPlayer2 Is Still Alive & Kicking

Phoronix: MPlayer2 Is Still Alive & Kicking

Back in March I reported on the MPlayer2 fork of the popular MPlayer multi-media application. MPlayer2 came as a result of one of the MPlayer developers being denounced from the group and from there the developer and others took to implementing their own desired features and functionality from a fork of the open-source code-base. But how's the MPlayer2 project now doing?..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTc4Mg

And they also threw away the unmaintainable GUI code, I think that was a wise choice (as they called it unmaintainable).

Comment

Typos: it is "mplayer2" and "MPlayer".
      Not "MPlayer2".

Comment

Well, mencoder is a cool tool. I hope they get back on their decision.

Comment

Well, mencoder is a cool tool. I hope they get back on their decision.
          Arch Linux packages it separately, is there any advantage over this approarch in including it in mplayer2 itself?

Comment

benchmark?

What about some kind of comparison. Is it really mplayer2 better than MPlayer?

Comment

VLC all the way!

Comment

mplayer2 has m2ts subtitle support, so it is definitely better. thats why i would like to see a vaapi patch for mplayer2.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  mplayer2 has m2ts subtitle support, so it is definitely better. thats why i would like to see a vaapi patch for mplayer2.
                  Seconding this. vaapi support is the only missing feature now for me. Still using the mplayer-vaapi version from splitted-desktop, plus a mplayer2 binary and a regular (vanilla) mplayer binary.

Comment

yesterday I had some files that mplayer2 could not play at all, I installed Mplayer and no problem... sad cause I liked the don't unpause on fullscreen and other actions...

Comment

First try:

-demuxer lavf

Comment

Are m2ts subs found anywhere else but blurays?

Comment

s/subs/containers/ of course. Editing is still broken.

Comment

For me it's the only player on linux that will let me watch blu-ray rips (mkv) files with no stuttering or even fan noise from high cpu use. This on an aveage 4 year old laptop with integrated graphics.

I have set up smplayer to use it as a backend. Pausing doesn't work on smplayer with this setup so I hope someone can fix that.

So for me it is superior to mplayer and I hope some distros support it out of the box.

Comment

I'm using smplayer with it and pausing works just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X