QEMU 0.15 Brings Several New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    The commit mentioned two things, tests and threading in virtio-p9. Why do you believe all users should be penalized for a developer use case (tests), or a small minority (plan 9)?
    I trust QEMU developers to do their job since they have proven themselves over a number of years. I am sure they will accept patches if you want to help out though.

Comment

The commit mentioned two things, tests and threading in virtio-p9. Why do you believe all users should be penalized for a developer use case (tests), or a small minority (plan 9)?
      In the grand scheme of things, GLib is a pretty trivial dependency. QEMU supports tons of "bloat" that only small minorities will ever use (e.g. SPARC emulation), because it can. It's the nature of the beast. We're talking about a project founded by a guy who also wrote a PC emulator in JavaScript. If you want Bochs or Xen, you know where to find them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
        In the grand scheme of things, GLib is a pretty trivial dependency. QEMU supports tons of "bloat" that only small minorities will ever use (e.g. SPARC emulation), because it can. It's the nature of the beast. We're talking about a project founded by a guy who also wrote a PC emulator in JavaScript. If you want Bochs or Xen, you know where to find them.
        Yes, but those are _optional_, which is the point. If I do not need Sparc emu, I can disable it.

Comment

Does anyone in here happen to know if/how qemu or qemu-kvm can detect and verify the presence and proper functionality of an IOMMU on the AMD 890FX platform?

Comment

Yes, but those are _optional_, which is the point. If I do not need Sparc emu, I can disable it.
            Given the fact that qemu is open source, if glib bothers you so much, you shouldn't find it difficult you role you own, glibc-less fork, no?
            OSS, after all, is meritocracy and -not- a democracy...

Back to the subject at hand, I'm one Xen aware release of the nVidia binary driver away from realizing my plan to use a stable base OS as host (used for network services and work) running a number high performance guests (both Linux and Windows) with full 3D support.

- Gilboa
            oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
            oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
            oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
            Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by colo View Post
              Does anyone in here happen to know if/how qemu or qemu-kvm can detect and verify the presence and proper functionality of an IOMMU on the AMD 890FX platform?
              A far as I know, IOMMU is checked when you try to assign a PCI device, and an error message will be printed if it cannot be used.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                VirtualBox modules haven't been submitted upstream at all afaik. It isn't likely to get merged in as it is.
                Why should they be submitted upstream? They work just fine as-is.

Comment

Working...
                X