Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME & KDE Developers Go To Battle Over A Name

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by marek View Post
    I think he should be banned from making any public statements on behalf of the KDE project, regardless of whether he will make an apology or not. This is a very bad PR move for KDE.
    The xorg mailing list isn't much better at times.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by marek View Post
      I think he should be banned from making any public statements on behalf of the KDE project, regardless of whether he will make an apology or not. This is a very bad PR move for KDE.
      "Kids, stay of internets!"
      *ROFLS*

      Comment


      • #33
        If only GNOME developers and KDE developers each still put out decent desktops that were even worth using anymore, then this argument over a stupid name might actually not be a complete and total waste of everyone's time!

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          To hell with those Gnometards. KILL 'EM ALL!
          Childish comment, Not everyone loves KDE But we all love Linux so Love thy Linux neighbour
          ID Ten 2

          Comment


          • #35
            One word for this silliness

            mmmeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhh!!!!

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by carling View Post
              Not everyone loves KDE
              Just the ones that count.

              Comment


              • #37
                we have another one

                Do we have another one who thinks KDE is the be all and end all of desktops.... Grow Up a desktop is a desktop, same as a distro is a distro you either like it are you don't. In my opinion is ultimate edition (Gnome) put every distribution to shame,

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by carling View Post
                  Do we have another one who thinks KDE is the be all and end all of desktops.... Grow Up a desktop is a desktop, same as a distro is a distro you either like it are you don't. In my opinion is ultimate edition (Gnome) put every distribution to shame,
                  Chill dude, notice the emoticon?

                  But IMHO I do feel that Gnome is a poor excuse for a desktop. But that is just an opinion.
                  Last edited by deanjo; 07-23-2011, 09:34 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    kindergarden... why not name the 1 system-settings and the other one systemsettings

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by fabioamd87 View Post
                      Please stop this stupid war.
                      It isn't a stupid war, there are technical reasons behind and the problem has to be solved.
                      ## VGA ##
                      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                        It isn't a stupid war, there are technical reasons behind and the problem has to be solved.
                        Just curious, what are the use cases where you need both installed (switching between Gnome and KDE ?) and is there a use case where you want the System Settings from one DE visible and useable in the other ? Is this just a package name collision (in which case presumably a DE prefix would fix the problem) or is the technical issue a requirement to have cross-DE useability ?

                        As a user, I kinda like the idea of using the same name for the same function on different systems, but maybe that's just me

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                          Just curious, what are the use cases where you need both installed (switching between Gnome and KDE ?) and is there a use case where you want the System Settings from one DE visible and useable in the other ?
                          Any Multiuser setup is a use case for having both KDE and Gnome installed with their settings, alongside any number of other DEs and WMs, from a family box that serves multiple members in a household to terminal servers and multiseat boxes

                          For single user use case there's always the developer who wants to see how his program runs in various environments

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by dfx. View Post
                            +1
                            i find the name "System Settings" for DE config misleading and maliciously idiotic. unless it does real system-wide configuration it has no business be named like that.
                            they should call both as "<DE> bells-and-whistles configuration tool", the assholes.
                            since you can do system wide settings from system settings:

                            you are wrong.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              I think they should both be renamed

                              to KDE System Settings and Gnome System Settings. That even lets me know ahead of time that the settings I'm opening up were created by my desktop environment, and aren't some set of tools the distribution added in.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                We already have 5 pages of posts here?

                                Can I ask why you duplicated an internal developer discussion and started a mini flame war to boot, Michael?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X