Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OnLive Is Hiring More Engineers For Linux Client

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OnLive Is Hiring More Engineers For Linux Client

    Phoronix: OnLive Is Hiring More Engineers For Linux Client

    OnLive, the cloud gaming platform where games are rendered and stored on servers, already has Windows and Mac OS X clients, but a Linux client is in the works. Back in March there was a job posting by OnLive where one of the responsibilities dealt with feature design and development for multiple platforms, including Linux. There's also been other signs of OnLive for Linux in the works. The latest sign is a new job posting yesterday for the Linux client...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTY4NA

  • #2
    OnLive is too high latency for FPSes and hyper-RTSes (like Starcraft or HoN). It's only remotely viable (pun intentional) for WoW-like MMOs, and of course turn-based games. People who primarily play those types of games (over a very high-bandwidth landline such as FiOS or fast cable or dedicated 100Mbps) may enjoy the service. For everyone else, it'll be a waste.

    OnLive is not a terrible idea, but for some game types it just won't work (ever) over the public Internet, and certain people who get shafted by ISPs (capped bandwidth, etc) will never be able to make full use of the service even if they want to just play turn-based strategy games in singleplayer with unlimited think time.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yep, I'd rather play WebGL games: cross-platform and doesn't require super fast Internet connection.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        Yep, I'd rather play WebGL games: cross-platform and doesn't require super fast Internet connection.
        Requires a super-fast GPU, though. WebGL is even more inefficient than desktop GL. And it rarely works right unless you're using the Nvidia drivers. No driver I've ever installed (proprietary or open source) for my Radeon has ever provided a working WebGL experience.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
          Requires a super-fast GPU, though. WebGL is even more inefficient than desktop GL. And it rarely works right unless you're using the Nvidia drivers. No driver I've ever installed (proprietary or open source) for my Radeon has ever provided a working WebGL experience.
          The bottleneck is not in the GPU in this case but rather in JavaScript, after all it's a sandboxed scripting language compared to C/C+ machine code free of the JavaScript security extra-checking.
          And yes, I got Nvidia (GeForce 9600gt) and I got no issues.. (so far).
          Looks like both closed and open source AMD Linux video drivers are getting better, so you might be doing fine soon.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
            OnLive is too high latency for FPSes and hyper-RTSes (like Starcraft or HoN). It's only remotely viable (pun intentional) for WoW-like MMOs, and of course turn-based games. People who primarily play those types of games (over a very high-bandwidth landline such as FiOS or fast cable or dedicated 100Mbps) may enjoy the service. For everyone else, it'll be a waste.
            Depends actually on where you are. Where I live latency is not really noticeable and I can play the FPSes just fine (I don't play over WiFi). However, you have to have a good connection for that (I'd recommend at least 10Mbps).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
              Requires a super-fast GPU, though. WebGL is even more inefficient than desktop GL. And it rarely works right unless you're using the Nvidia drivers. No driver I've ever installed (proprietary or open source) for my Radeon has ever provided a working WebGL experience.
              Hm... What's not working about this?

              http://ompldr.org/vOWp1bg

              Framerate suffers greatly when running more than one window with webgl at the same time but one alone is very good though it probably all in all is slower than "normal" OpenGL on the desktop.

              Comment


              • #8
                wurm online, minecraft, spiral knights - arent those webgl also?
                they run really good with amd catalyst drivers. havent had issues.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by xpander View Post
                  wurm online, minecraft, spiral knights - arent those webgl also?
                  they run really good with amd catalyst drivers. havent had issues.
                  That's Java.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    This is a terrible idea, and I highly recommend everyone boycott this service.

                    When you buy a game (or other piece of software), you should get a copy that you can install and use without further reliance on any 3rd party company. The idea of "buying" a game that only exists remotely on servers you don't control is insane. If the company goes out of business, or stops supporting your product, your purchase is gone.

                    Support companies that provide you with the ability to use what you purchased without having to ask for permission or rely on them being around.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X