Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE SC 4.7 Release Candidate Hits The Web

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KDE SC 4.7 Release Candidate Hits The Web

    Phoronix: KDE SC 4.7 Release Candidate Hits The Web

    The KDE community has done an early Saturday morning release of the first release candidate for KDE Software Compilation 4.7. After being in beta for a month, the KDE developers are gearing up for the release of KDE SC 4.7 by the end of July...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTU5OQ

  • #2
    Can someone enlighten me as to what goes on between the tagging and the release? And for that matter, why there are 7 days between the 4.7 final tag and the actual release? It seems a long time and the schedule is pretty unclear as to what kind of activity actually goes on during all of the RC and final release phase.

    This is not a flame post, I'm honestly curious because I just don't know.

    Comment


    • #3
      After tagging the tarballs are made and a few days are given so that distribution packagers can test the packages (so that everything compiles and nothing is missing) and if necessary corrections are made.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by siride View Post
        Can someone enlighten me as to what goes on between the tagging and the release? And for that matter, why there are 7 days between the 4.7 final tag and the actual release?
        The week is for all the distributions to prepare packages and make sure that it installs without problems. Some distros also maintain their own patchset changing the vanilla KDE code in some way, and they want to make sure that these still work fine with the final release.

        That way, when 4.7 SC is officially announced, it should be available on all distros and users can simply install the packages from their distros' repositories.

        Absolutely nothing changes in terms of the KDE codebase. Once it's tagged, that's the final release.

        Comment


        • #5
          Now that KDE developers have run out of "new great features" to add, maybe they'll start thinking about overall KDE optimization (KDE4 RAM consumption is just insane) and bug fixing?

          Comment


          • #6
            Is there a Ubuntu 11.04 PPA that will contain the SC 4.7 code? I'm currently running stock 4.6.x on Natty and I like it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
              Is there a Ubuntu 11.04 PPA that will contain the SC 4.7 code? I'm currently running stock 4.6.x on Natty and I like it.
              Maybe some of these:
              https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa

              I think it will be in the backports PPA:
              https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/backports

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by birdie View Post
                Now that KDE developers have run out of "new great features" to add, maybe they'll start thinking about overall KDE optimization (KDE4 RAM consumption is just insane) and bug fixing?
                At least (I hope) they won't screw their DE as GNOME people.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  Now that KDE developers have run out of "new great features" to add, maybe they'll start thinking about overall KDE optimization (KDE4 RAM consumption is just insane) and bug fixing?
                  I hope you're right. KDE is in so much need of bug fixing. I don't care what the ratio of bugs to LOC is supposed to be, it still feels and looks like it has more bugs compared to gnome. Maybe it has less bugs, but at least on gnome they know how to cover them up really well and they don't stick out all the time affecting productivity and workflow as much :P

                  PS: I doubt they have run out of "new great features". Just take a look at the file transfer notification introduced in version 4.6. Why do we need a graph in the thing?? Sure it's kind of cool for the geek, but if I want to look at graphs I'd rather use the system monitor. Why duplicate features, especially when there are so many bugs in the bloody notification system to begin with?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by devius View Post
                    I hope you're right. KDE is in so much need of bug fixing. I don't care what the ratio of bugs to LOC is supposed to be, it still feels and looks like it has more bugs compared to gnome. Maybe it has less bugs, but at least on gnome they know how to cover them up really well and they don't stick out all the time affecting productivity and workflow as much :P

                    PS: I doubt they have run out of "new great features". Just take a look at the file transfer notification introduced in version 4.6. Why do we need a graph in the thing?? Sure it's kind of cool for the geek, but if I want to look at graphs I'd rather use the system monitor. Why duplicate features, especially when there are so many bugs in the bloody notification system to begin with?
                    While KDE 4 has come a long way since 4.0 (which was a bug ridden pile of garbage), it indeed still feels buggy compared to KDE 3.5.10.

                    I should say that after KDE 4.7 it should be time for optimization and bug fixing. For the most part the infrastructure is more stable than ever still plenty of work to do before we can declare KDE 4 stable and mature.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                      still plenty of work to do before we can declare KDE 4 stable and mature.
                      Duke Nukem Forever actually got released

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by birdie View Post
                        Now that KDE developers have run out of "new great features" to add, maybe they'll start thinking about overall KDE optimization (KDE4 RAM consumption is just insane) and bug fixing?
                        How about 300MB in 64bit Arch Linux? Is that insane? In Kubuntu 11.04 it's much worse, because there are dozens instances of the same service (akonadi or something) running for some strange reason. Btw. KDE 4.6 is very smooth in the current Arch.
                        Last edited by kraftman; 06-25-2011, 03:55 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by birdie View Post
                          Now that KDE developers have run out of "new great features" to add, maybe they'll start thinking about overall KDE optimization (KDE4 RAM consumption is just insane) and bug fixing?
                          Why RAM consumption matters? Do you care too if an app uses too many CPU registers?
                          If it has an evident impact on performance, then I agree with you, but then why call the problem "high RAM consumption" and not "bad performance"?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                            Duke Nukem Forever actually got released
                            hahaha when pigs fly

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                              Btw. KDE 4.6 is very smooth in the current Arch.
                              Boy, that's the total opposite of my experience. I started using Arch with KDE with version 4.5 and by the time it got to 4.6.3 the bugs were so many I couldn't properly use my system anymore without loosing some time after boot putting everything "alright" again. Not to mention that I'm constantly switching between my laptop's internal screen and an external monitor and that causes huge amounts of failures on KDE due to its pathetic multi-monitor support. Seriously, they should start listening to their users more (by ways of the bugtracker's wishlists and bug reports) and stop making up new K3wl features :P

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X