Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transforming GNOME Into A Linux-Only Project?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mouring View Post
    KDE started in 1996
    GNOME in 1999
    NeXTStep was released in 1993

So NeXTStep was around about 3 years before KDE came about. MacOS X heavily is based on NeXTStep/OpenStep.

So to state it "pre-dated" OS X is kinda a lie. Yes if you are treating OS X 10.0 as a new desktop it's younger than KDE/GNOME (being released in 2001), but the underlying API is MUCH MUCH older.
    I am treating OS X 10.0 as a new desktop. Because it was. It wasn't just NextStep although it's certainly based on it. The fact that it is using code that dated from a much earlier time is a bit besides the point and only some of the desktop APIs come from NextStep.

The same thing can be said of Gnome or KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
      I am treating OS X 10.0 as a new desktop. Because it was. It wasn't just NextStep although it's certainly based on it. The fact that it is using code that dated from a much earlier time is a bit besides the point and only some of the desktop APIs come from NextStep.

The same thing can be said of Gnome or KDE.
      Rhapsody, the first Nextstep-Mac OS merger OS that was renamed OS X Server for 1.0, was demoed in 97.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        .... I think those numbers are about 15 years old. Last I heard, MS was down to about 80% and falling. Fruitcakes hasn't moved in 30 years.

And your numbers don't add up....
        If by "Fruitcakes" you are referring to Apple then you are sorely mistaken. In 2002-2003 the Apple market share was around 1-2%.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          If by "Fruitcakes" you are referring to Apple then you are sorely mistaken. In 2002-2003 the Apple market share was around 1-2%.
          But they were in much better position to conquer the desktop market - it was their main goal since beginning. The ground they were standing on was much more solid than Linux'. Linux still has some problems in graphics and audio, but hopefully Wayland and future releases of PA will fix this.

Comment

Very stupid move indeed. There is BSD, and other platforms. Even windows. Even if I hate it and its company.

Comment

Working...
            X