Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adobe Flash Player Linux x86_64 Update Coming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Adobe Flash Player Linux x86_64 Update Coming

    Phoronix: Adobe Flash Player Linux x86_64 Update Coming

    Last week marked the official release of Adobe Flash Player 10.3 for Linux and other supported operating systems. Sadly, however, the Linux release was limited to 32-bit and their x86_64 Flash binary remains living in the "Square" 10.2 land. There also is no Linux video acceleration support outside of NVIDIA's VDPAU interface. To the pleasure of many Linux users, this is changing...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTQ1NQ

  • #2
    i want to know when Adobe will follow through with webm support.
    that will finally allow just one codec to allow html5 video with flash fallback

    Comment


    • #3
      Another interesting question is whether they fixed their memcpy usage for 10.4.

      Comment


      • #4
        I wish they'd stop trying to re-invent a video player...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
          i want to know when Adobe will follow through with webm support.
          that will finally allow just one codec to allow html5 video with flash fallback
          I second that. I suspect not until at least flash 12 though.

          Comment


          • #6
            64 bit and vaapi?

            *faints*

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by chithanh View Post
              Another interesting question is whether they fixed their memcpy usage for 10.4.
              Oh, that nasty bug in the Flash mp3 decoder that got Linus all up in arms? Nah. I bet that won't be fixed until 2013 or so. Several year turnaround time for Adobe.

              A Russian did hack the binary though and get it working, lol

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
                Oh, that nasty bug in the Flash mp3 decoder that got Linus all up in arms? Nah. I bet that won't be fixed until 2013 or so. Several year turnaround time for Adobe.

                A Russian did hack the binary though and get it working, lol
                Now maybe that same Russkie can whip up a patch for the new Square update too

                Adobe really doesn't care about Linux at all, sadly. If they did we'd have seen Photoshop ported, for example

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                  Now maybe that same Russkie can whip up a patch for the new Square update too
                  I think the script works for all binaries and isn't Flash-specific. I does a search-and-replace for calls to memcpy and replaces them with memmove calls.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by not.sure View Post
                    I wish they'd stop trying to re-invent a video player...
                    Are there other alternatives to streaming DRM/encrypted videos? You might not agree with it, but don't blame the tool.

                    Since the last 2-3 updates, Flash on Youtube needs a lot less resources than Totem or Vlc (without vdpau) on my Fedora 14. This was certainly unexpected... but it works for me. I'm not avoiding flash videos any more - I do block everything else, though.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yeah, I've been reading "we'll catch up x86_64 next release" or "soon" for quite some time now. Let's just say I'm not holding my breath.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I knew both were coming to Flash 11.0 (even somewhat confirmed by Adobe themselves), but I didn't know there was a 10.4 coming before that.

                        Flash 11.0 also fixes the fullscreen video/composite performance issues that have been around for years.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
                          Yeah, I've been reading "we'll catch up x86_64 next release" or "soon" for quite some time now. Let's just say I'm not holding my breath.
                          Me neither.
                          "We're told" and "it appears" coming from adobe means little to nothing for me. I have to see it to believe.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                            Adobe really doesn't care about Linux at all, sadly.
                            Not many companies care about linux unfortunately. There is still a very widespread belief that all linux users are hackers that don't want to pay for software.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by devius View Post
                              Not many companies care about linux unfortunately. There is still a very widespread belief that all linux users are hackers that don't want to pay for software.
                              Precisely! We need to somehow explode that myth as I'm sure Linux users are willing to pay for quality software that WORKS AS ADVERTISED. As long as such software is well maintained and the maker accepts bug reports and addresses such bugs in a timely manner we'd then be satisfied.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X