Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Is Buying Out Skype

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Microsoft Is Buying Out Skype

    Phoronix: Microsoft Is Buying Out Skype

    Microsoft is buying out Skype, it's been confirmed, at a price of over $8 billion USD...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTQyNw

  • #2
    I really wished Google would get the deal, at least then things could improve with Skype and the it might have opened up.

    What happens instead is Skype is slowly dying now with Microsoft ruining it surely.

    Comment


    • #3
      Someone explain to me again why there isn't already a FOSS application like Skype that uses a distributed/peer-to-peer setup already. A simple GUI, SPEEX, and a federated peering protocol. Where is it?

      Comment


      • #4
        Most likely MS wanted a real cross-plattform solution as they only support Win right now. But i don't know how much they like the Linux variant, the mobile versions are very important however for a good market share.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by elanthis View Post
          Someone explain to me again why there isn't already a FOSS application like Skype that uses a distributed/peer-to-peer setup already. A simple GUI, SPEEX, and a federated peering protocol. Where is it?
          because noone cares enough probably

          we have xmpp voice/video and is supported also on Gtalk/Android phones (don't know how well this plays with others ie Gtalk to Jabber)

          Comment


          • #6
            isnt it a threat having MS in control over a commonly used P2P network? i dont know whether to trust Google more... but still i dont like the idea of my data in the hands of MS.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              because noone cares enough probably

              we have xmpp voice/video and is supported also on Gtalk/Android phones (don't know how well this plays with others ie Gtalk to Jabber)
              http://planet.gnu.org/gnutelephony/

              GNU Free Call...

              Will success or another fail like Gnash? Who knows...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                http://planet.gnu.org/gnutelephony/

                GNU Free Call...

                Will success or another fail like Gnash? Who knows...

                in order for something to succeed it not only needs to be made -and work flawlessly- but to be sold also.

                as long as there is no "advertisement" of projects like that and adoption from distros its bound to fail.

                for example i haven't seen canonical saying "hey look you can videochat with your friend who has a Gtalk front camera phone or has gtalk on his mac" or "Hey we have this new telephony solution that will do this and that"

                also there is this big obstacle of "i use what i know" that plagues humans n general

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  in order for something to succeed it not only needs to be made -and work flawlessly- but to be sold also.

                  as long as there is no "advertisement" of projects like that and adoption from distros its bound to fail.

                  for example i haven't seen canonical saying "hey look you can videochat with your friend who has a Gtalk front camera phone or has gtalk on his mac" or "Hey we have this new telephony solution that will do this and that"

                  also there is this big obstacle of "i use what i know" that plagues humans n general
                  Uhhh, "sell" is something FSF sometimes may fail. They are too philosophical sometimes and lack of pragmatic power in certain projects. I hope this changes, but they are a too big entity so adapting is slower than specialized ones.

                  There's also this...
                  http://jitsi.org

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    There's also the phone. Also known as telephone.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      or the standard for telephony over the internet: SIP?

                      A bit of testing using a free account over at ekiga.net shows it works fine with audio+video. And there's no google lock-in (why oh why is the first thing mentioned in this thread a google service/protocol? I thought this was a linux/FOSS site )

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                        There's also the phone. Also known as telephone.
                        telefones lack the feature of being free of charge - even abroad

                        actually i dont care about the program itself but the protocol. Id be happy to see some adoption in empathy and the like soon. there have been some attempts if i remember well, but that might be out of the question now...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          i meant "especially abroad"...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            What about gtalk? Seems to be based on open standards + there are open source clients.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jakubo View Post
                              telefones lack the feature of being free of charge - even abroad

                              actually i dont care about the program itself but the protocol. Id be happy to see some adoption in empathy and the like soon. there have been some attempts if i remember well, but that might be out of the question now...
                              Skype is not free either, unless you're going to assume that having an Internet Connection is "free of charge." TINSTAAFL.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X