Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Is Buying Out Skype

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    In the immortal words of Richard Milhaus Nixon, it is time for Google to "shit or get off the pot". Google has been internally using VoIP client internally for ages -- at least since acquiring Gismo5. It's well past time for them to deploy clients for all platforms -- or open up Voice and Talk for others to develop clients. Yes, I know you can chat with libpurple/XMPP clients and use Voice in a browser but that is a far cry from Skype functionality.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shit_or_get_off_the_pot
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Nixon

    Comment


    • #47
      To clear things up:

      Lots of GTalk/XMPP/etc confusion so here goes:

      When you sign up for Gmail/Google, that includes a XMPP/"Jabber" account, so you can use any XMPP client (Pidgin, Empathy, etc) to chat over it.

      You don't have to get a Google account to get XMPP/Jabber of course, there are lots of other servers to go to, like Jabber.org.

      If you or a friend has, for example, a Jabber.org XMPP account, you can chat with friends on other XMPP accounts/servers, including Google's.

      Different XMPP servers offer different features. Google's XMPP servers have the Jingle extension features, allowing you to do voice and video chats.

      I have confirmed that you can do voice and video chats from Google to Google accounts. I am not sure however about other servers. Part of the problem is finding out of a XMPP server supports the full Jingle protocols or at least has the voice and video protocols. Since Google supports voice and video, if you find a non-Google XMPP server that supports those, voice and video chat should work between them, or there's a big problem and it needs to be looked into.

      Comment


      • #48
        Oh, and as for making or accepting traditional "land line" calls, which cost money, I use http://www.sipgate.com/.

        The drawback is that I need to have a SIP client. What I want to find is a land line gateway provider for XMPP, i.e. instead of them translating land line <> SIP on their end, translate land line <> XMPP. I don't know if Asterisk has this feature yet though, nor do I know of any service provider offering this yet. I hope XMPP replaces SIP though since XMPP has so many more features.

        P.S. I love Google for rolling email into it as well, so you just need one address, and from that any user anywhere in the world can email, text, send files, and do voice and video chats with you. That's the way it should be, and even better, you shouldn't need Google or any external service provider to do it for you, which is what the social networking app devs are working on to some degree, like with https://joindiaspora.com/

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          There's also this...
          http://jitsi.org
          Thanks for that! Looks like it has potential, and says video and voice are fully supported with XMPP (as well as SIP), so I'm going to try to compare it against both Pidgin's and Empathy's video/voice capabilities/features.

          Comment


          • #50
            Jingle vs. XMPP

            Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
            Different XMPP servers offer different features. Google's XMPP servers have the Jingle extension features, allowing you to do voice and video chats.

            I have confirmed that you can do voice and video chats from Google to Google accounts. I am not sure however about other servers. Part of the problem is finding out of a XMPP server supports the full Jingle protocols or at least has the voice and video protocols. Since Google supports voice and video, if you find a non-Google XMPP server that supports those, voice and video chat should work between them, or there's a big problem and it needs to be looked into.
            Jingle is a peer-to-peer extension to the XMPP, so the server feature set should be completely irrelevant and everything should simply be a matter of what the clients can do. That is assuming that I grok this correctly.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by »John« View Post
              Jingle is a peer-to-peer extension to the XMPP, so the server feature set should be completely irrelevant and everything should simply be a matter of what the clients can do. That is assuming that I grok this correctly.
              I remember seeing some place a XMPP server feature list for various XMPP servers, and so I think the server has to be aware of certain kinds of things at the very least. Sure, video and voice calls are negotiated and occur directly between the two clients, the connections being established via ICE apparently, but the XMPP server still apparently aids in those connections being established is my guess anyway, and may even be what informs the users if the other's client is capable of video or voice calls. Of course, the XMPP server needs to be capable of dealing with IMs especially when it needs to store off-line messages for instance. Ultimately it would be great for clients to communicate directly with each other without the need for any centralised server unless needed/wanted, but I doubt Google would throw money into something that removes service-based companies such as themselves completely from the picture.

              Comment


              • #52
                This is confusing!

                Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                I remember seeing some place a XMPP server feature list for various XMPP servers, and so I think the server has to be aware of certain kinds of things at the very least. Sure, video and voice calls are negotiated and occur directly between the two clients, the connections being established via ICE apparently, but the XMPP server still apparently aids in those connections being established is my guess anyway, and may even be what informs the users if the other's client is capable of video or voice calls.
                There. Wasn't even hard to find. Now I'm completely confused. Maybe one of these documents can shed some light on this.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by »John« View Post
                  There. Wasn't even hard to find. Now I'm completely confused. Maybe one of these documents can shed some light on this.
                  To make things even more confusing, many of those extensions have been obsoleted, too. That list really needs to be cleaned up and updated. That was actually not the feature comparison list I mentioned, it was much simpler.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Skype acquisition commentary. He nailed it.
                    http://brooksreview.net/2011/05/ballmer/

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X