Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is MPlayer2 A Viable Fork Of MPlayer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    And now mplayer and mplayer2 both are forked to mpv-player.

    From the site:
    https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/bl...en/changes.rst
    Why this Fork?

    MPlayer wants to maintain old code, even if it is very bad code. It seems mplayer2 was forked because MPlayer developers refused to get rid of all the cruft. The mplayer2 and MPlayer codebases also deviated enough to make a reunification unlikely.
    mplayer2 development is slow, and it is hard to get in changes. Details withheld as to not turn this into a rant.
    MPlayer rarely merged from mplayer2, and mplayer2 practically stopped merging from MPlayer (not even code cleanups or new features are merged)
    mpv intends to continuously merge from mplayer-svn and mplayer2, while speeding up development. There is willingness for significant changes, even if this means breaking compatibility.

    Comment


    • #22
      Yay, more forks :P

      /me stays on mplayer, relying on the "bad" code they removed in mplayer2. Yes I use mencoder and some other things they removed.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by josk View Post
        And now mplayer and mplayer2 both are forked to mpv-player.

        From the site:
        https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/bl...en/changes.rst
        I tried it. Looks to have fixed the issues I had with both mplayer and mplayer2 (seeking issues for the former, fullscreen issues with the latter). I'll keep the original mplayer around mencoder, though, even though I use ffmpeg in most cases.

        Comment


        • #24
          If it doesn't work with SMPlayer, then it's quite useless to a lot of people.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            If it doesn't work with SMPlayer, then it's quite useless to a lot of people.
            The slave mode is a mess and was intentionally broken. But we are planning to create something bettor for toolkit support. I hope you can wait for this to be finalized. For the meantime I recommend to stay with mplayer2.

            Comment


            • #26
              mpv works fine

              using mpv for about 3 months on archlinux as my default video player. there is no gui support (not even third party yet). But I just love the improved OSD rendering so I do not care for smplayer support.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by perfectayush View Post
                using mpv for about 3 months on archlinux as my default video player. there is no gui support (not even third party yet). But I just love the improved OSD rendering so I do not care for smplayer support.
                There is a branch (lua experiment) where the use lua scripts and libass to draw more sophisticated gui elements.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by giselher View Post
                  There is a branch (lua experiment) where the use lua scripts and libass to draw more sophisticated gui elements.
                  guys, if you will able to at least give me the way to implement simple file browser with aliases that is shown on the screen via OSD.... I'll pray for you for the rest of my life (even considering I'm atheist lol)
                  that's the feature I lack from ZoomPlayer if you know what I'm talking about....

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by fk00 View Post
                    guys, if you will able to at least give me the way to implement simple file browser with aliases that is shown on the screen via OSD.... I'll pray for you for the rest of my life (even considering I'm atheist lol)
                    that's the feature I lack from ZoomPlayer if you know what I'm talking about....
                    There is nothing stopping you. It just lua with some mpv function in place for playback and if you need more function for playback you can just ask on github for them to be implemented.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      I believe that's the main reason FFMpeg and other related projects are having organizational problems so they are forking...

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X