Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With Days Left, GNOME Shell Continues Advancing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • With Days Left, GNOME Shell Continues Advancing

    Phoronix: With Days Left, GNOME Shell Continues Advancing

    The release candidate of GNOME 3.0 is due out, and the final release is just days away (6 April), but the GNOME Shell continues to advance with just days to go. GNOME Shell 2.91.92 is now available with a number of improvements...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTIzOQ

  • #2
    Well. looks a little like the KDE4 launch.

    At least the underlying Parts of Gnome3 seem to work more or less properly by now.

    I personally use gnome with Compiz and AWN ... so I won't hat problems with that.

    But I'd love to try Gnome Shell once the dust settles.

    Comment


    • #3
      The multi monitor improvements sounds very nice

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks God we have XFCE.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Thanks God we have XFCE.
          xfce is by now just as bloated and slow as gnome/kde. I'd shun all the three.

          Comment


          • #6
            Another advancement in Gnome 3: When you close your laptop lid, your laptop *will* suspend. Doesn't matter if you actually want it to...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
              Another advancement in Gnome 3: When you close your laptop lid, your laptop *will* suspend. Doesn't matter if you actually want it to...
              Surely there must be ways around that?

              Anyways, isn't there an exception if the laptop is connected to an external screen?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
                Another advancement in Gnome 3: When you close your laptop lid, your laptop *will* suspend. Doesn't matter if you actually want it to...
                It's about time proper suspend across all graphics driver will become a serious requirement. In that sense Gnome isn't so bad...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by susikala View Post
                  xfce is by now just as bloated and slow as gnome/kde. I'd shun all the three.
                  It did seem to slow down with 4.8.x, though I've only tried it with Ubuntu. Hopefully, by the time it hits Debian sid, it will be optimized/tweaked.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    It's about time proper suspend across all graphics driver will become a serious requirement. In that sense Gnome isn't so bad...
                    It's also about what users want.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X