Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With Days Left, GNOME Shell Continues Advancing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • With Days Left, GNOME Shell Continues Advancing

    Phoronix: With Days Left, GNOME Shell Continues Advancing

    The release candidate of GNOME 3.0 is due out, and the final release is just days away (6 April), but the GNOME Shell continues to advance with just days to go. GNOME Shell 2.91.92 is now available with a number of improvements...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTIzOQ

  • #2
    Well. looks a little like the KDE4 launch.

    At least the underlying Parts of Gnome3 seem to work more or less properly by now.

    I personally use gnome with Compiz and AWN ... so I won't hat problems with that.

    But I'd love to try Gnome Shell once the dust settles.

    Comment


    • #3
      The multi monitor improvements sounds very nice

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks God we have XFCE.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Thanks God we have XFCE.
          xfce is by now just as bloated and slow as gnome/kde. I'd shun all the three.

          Comment


          • #6
            Another advancement in Gnome 3: When you close your laptop lid, your laptop *will* suspend. Doesn't matter if you actually want it to...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
              Another advancement in Gnome 3: When you close your laptop lid, your laptop *will* suspend. Doesn't matter if you actually want it to...
              Surely there must be ways around that?

              Anyways, isn't there an exception if the laptop is connected to an external screen?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
                Another advancement in Gnome 3: When you close your laptop lid, your laptop *will* suspend. Doesn't matter if you actually want it to...
                It's about time proper suspend across all graphics driver will become a serious requirement. In that sense Gnome isn't so bad...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by susikala View Post
                  xfce is by now just as bloated and slow as gnome/kde. I'd shun all the three.
                  It did seem to slow down with 4.8.x, though I've only tried it with Ubuntu. Hopefully, by the time it hits Debian sid, it will be optimized/tweaked.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    It's about time proper suspend across all graphics driver will become a serious requirement. In that sense Gnome isn't so bad...
                    It's also about what users want.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by korpenkraxar View Post
                      Surely there must be ways around that?

                      Anyways, isn't there an exception if the laptop is connected to an external screen?
                      Of course there is a way around it.

                      What people are objecting to is that they have to edit the configuration manually in order to disable auto suspend.

                      Because, you know, editing configuration files is much too horrible for Linux users and every option under the sun has to be in the GUI for us to be able to deal with it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                        It's about time proper suspend across all graphics driver will become a serious requirement. In that sense Gnome isn't so bad...
                        It's about time Gnome made a proper case for moving away from it. In that sense Gnome isn't so bad...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by drag View Post
                          Of course there is a way around it.

                          What people are objecting to is that they have to edit the configuration manually in order to disable auto suspend.

                          Because, you know, editing configuration files is much too horrible for Linux users and every option under the sun has to be in the GUI for us to be able to deal with it.
                          Hell, why even have a GUI for configuring anything. If someone wants to change the color of their font, there's a .conf for that. New screen inactivity-screen saver trigger time? There's a .conf for that. Want to change the keyboard mousekeys? There's a .conf for that.

                          Windows and KDE lets you configure the action when you close your laptop lid, so it's obviously a bad thing.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                            It's also about what users want.
                            It's about what Red Hat can get working. If the Gnome-Shell is going to cause laptops to crash due to auto-suspend then you can bet Red Hat will fix this ASAP.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hell, why even have a GUI for configuring anything. If someone wants to change the color of their font, there's a .conf for that. New screen inactivity-screen saver trigger time? There's a .conf for that. Want to change the keyboard mousekeys? There's a .conf for that.
                              Pretty much.

                              Windows and KDE lets you configure the action when you close your laptop lid, so it's obviously a bad thing.

                              No. It's not a bad thing because KDE4 and Windows does it. It's a bad thing because it's main purpose is work around buggy hardware.

                              Your logic being expressed here is extraordinarily immature.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X