Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adobe Flash Player 10.3 Linux Beta Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Adobe Flash Player 10.3 Linux Beta Released

    Phoronix: Adobe Flash Player 10.3 Linux Beta Released

    Adobe's just released their first beta of Flash Player 10.3 for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux operating systems. But does it contain anything interesting on the Linux side? Let's find out...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTE4NQ

  • #2
    Before anyone asks: no 64-bit support. Business as usual for Adobe.

    Comment


    • #3
      A linux flashplayer limitation that not everyone know is support for webcam.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        Before anyone asks: no 64-bit support. Business as usual for Adobe.
        You're asking too much of Adobe, 64-bit CPUs only appeared around 2003, so they had less than 10 years to get their act together.

        Comment


        • #5
          Compatibility state of the alternatives?

          It's been a long time since i've last seen an article comparing Gnash's and Lightspark's compatibility coverage to official Flash releases... I wonder if anything's changed in that respect? So far i only tried gnash once a couple of years ago and it couldn't play most of the content i tried.

          Comment


          • #6
            There is a beta 64-bit player actually. http://download.macromedia.com/pub/l..._111710.tar.gz

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by patstew View Post
              There is a beta 64-bit player actually. http://download.macromedia.com/pub/l..._111710.tar.gz
              That's very old pre-release. Nothing to do with 10.3 beta recently released.
              Rob
              email: dagger@gentoo.org

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dagger View Post
                That's very old pre-release. Nothing to do with 10.3 beta recently released.
                I know it's older than these betas, I was just pointing it out to the people above who seem unaware that there is a 64-bit player at all. It still reports as version 10.3.162.29, though it doesn't support vdpau.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The 64 bit was updated for last time in November, 30. So they have a 64 bit codebase, and they have released 10.2 and 10.3 beta, but not updates in the 64 bit codebase.

                  How many years have I been running a 64 bit pure system? I don't even remember. I really hope that HTML5 kills Flash. They don't deserve to be in the software bussiness.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Should also mention that there is also a Flash player 11.0 preview available here:

                    http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flas...incubator.html

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Both Flash 10.3 and 11.0 pre-releases not only have a browser-native control panel now, but also add KDE4-Systemsettings integration.

                      That doesn't change the fact that diegocg is absolutely right.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        To be fair, supposedly crystalhd support is also in there, in addition to vdpau.

                        But yeah, adobe really doesn't seem to get the concept of releasing both 32 and 64 bits flash plugin. Hint: develop on both arches, keep it always building, and do not accept new features that are not ready for both...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          i dont care about 32.. 32 should die 5 years ago...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
                            But yeah, adobe really doesn't seem to get the concept of releasing both 32 and 64 bits flash plugin. Hint: develop on both arches, keep it always building, and do not accept new features that are not ready for both...
                            It's a beta, not a final version. Adobe's priorities are getting new features in the wild and getting them tested, not to provide cross platform support for every bleeding edge beta that comes out.

                            I'd be more critical if it was a final release.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by locovaca View Post
                              It's a beta, not a final version. Adobe's priorities are getting new features in the wild and getting them tested,
                              That should include beta testing x86-64 build as well if they are planning a final version of it as what may work in 32-bit does not always work in 64-bit. Beta testing should always be done on the platforms you plan to support to look for platform specific gotchas.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X