Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Minute Changes To GNOME Shell, Mutter

Phoronix: Last Minute Changes To GNOME Shell, Mutter

Version 2.91.90 of GNOME Shell and Mutter were released last night and they carry some last minute changes to these major components of the GNOME 3.0 desktop...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTEyMg

I hear they've removed the minimize/maximize buttons. Some pretty dramatic changes to GNOME 3, and yeah they are kind of dictating an user experience now and offer less options than ever (font sizes, suspend, etc.).

Still, I kind of like where GNOME 3 is going. I would be very worried if didn't have alternatives, but we have (GNOME w/ Unity, KDE, ...).

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      I hear they've removed the minimize/maximize buttons. Some pretty dramatic changes to GNOME 3, and yeah they are kind of dictating an user experience now and offer less options than ever (font sizes, suspend, etc.).

Still, I kind of like where GNOME 3 is going. I would be very worried if didn't have alternatives, but we have (GNOME w/ Unity, KDE, ...).
      I just build the last gnome 3 now, and there isn't minimize/maximize buttons, only the close button is left.

Comment

Originally posted by Khudsa View Post
        I just build the last gnome 3 now, and there isn't minimize/maximize buttons, only the close button is left.
        Sorry, the edit limit.

That is something that I don't understand. If the title bar is used only for view the title of the windows and to close it, and this functions are int the gnome-shell (next to the date/calendar applet), what is the purpose of the title bar now? It's only a wasted space.

Comment

Font sizes should scale automatic anyway (can you change the font of your physical newspaper for example?) and changes to a semantic desktop and window management aren't so bad at all. Suspend because shutdown is kinda pointless nowadays and increasingly in the future (Do you see this with Apple products?).

Anyway I saw some recent videos on YouTube and I think that it is a perfect GUI for people that just use a computer to get shit done and move on to do something else.

Where's that document? Where's that tool? Just search it and throw it in an activity. No longer needing a dock because everything is supposed to be an activity. Do you, for example, constantly clean up stuff on your desk to put it back on there in real life and call that efficient multitasking? Activity full? -> Next activity.

I don't even have a bar in KDE anymore; everything is placed as a widget on my desktop and I have a dedicated button to view/unview my windows and notifications, clock, etc... Works so much better...

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            Suspend because shutdown is kinda pointless nowadays and increasingly in the future (Do you see this with Apple products?).
            I shutdown every night because suspend is broken on my Desktop. No, I do not use any closed source drivers, and no, I don't want to spend countless hours debugging the issue. It just doesn't work and I don't care to fix it. This is yet another big dick move from the Gnome devs.

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
              I shutdown every night because suspend is broken on my Desktop. No, I do not use any closed source drivers, and no, I don't want to spend countless hours debugging the issue. It just doesn't work and I don't care to fix it. This is yet another big dick move from the Gnome devs.
              Hopefuly with gnome 3 not alowing easy work arounds suspend will soon be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post

I like what their doing to.. Very minimalist.. I want KDE for myself but im glad a slick gui with such a contrasting design ethos exists.

It still feels slow in some ways though like app icons slow to update when typing.
                There's other small things that bug me to but i'm sure all will be fixed in the future.

Comment

I shutdown every night because suspend is broken on my Desktop. No, I do not use any closed source drivers, and no, I don't want to spend countless hours debugging the issue.
                  So it's broken and needs to be fixed.

It just doesn't work and I don't care to fix it. This is yet another big dick move from the Gnome devs.
                  You can always switch to KDE

Comment

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
                    Hopefuly with gnome 3 not alowing easy work arounds suspend will soon be fixed.
                    Yes, because that worked so well with compositing in KDE.

The "We're going to make you do something and if it doesn't work you need to make someone else fix their code" paradigm that seems to be taking hold is pretty user unfriendly.

Originally posted by V!NCENT
                    So it's broken and needs to be fixed.
                    Here's how it goes.

Me: Hey Ubuntu, I can't suspend
                    Ubuntu: Send us the outputs of a dozen different commands
                    Me: Ok
                    *2 months of being ignored by dev, day of 11.04 release*
                    Ubuntu: Hey, we just released 11.04, can you upgrade and re-test
                    Me: Still broken
                    *No action for 6 months*

I've been down this path before with kernel bugs and Ubuntu. The amount of time it takes for me to report and gather information further ignored by Ubuntu does not compare to the time it takes for me to hit the power button and go feed the Dog.

Originally posted by V!NCENT
                    You can always switch to KDE
                    Unforunately that looks like my next move because I'm not sticking with pure Ubuntu.

Comment

Yes, because that worked so well with compositing in KDE.

The "We're going to make you do something and if it doesn't work you need to make someone else fix their code" paradigm that seems to be taking hold is pretty user unfriendly.

Here's how it goes.

Me: Hey Ubuntu, I can't suspend
                      Ubuntu: Send us the outputs of a dozen different commands
                      Me: Ok
                      *2 months of being ignored by dev, day of 11.04 release*
                      Ubuntu: Hey, we just released 11.04, can you upgrade and re-test
                      Me: Still broken
                      *No action for 6 months*

I've been down this path before with kernel bugs and Ubuntu. The amount of time it takes for me to report and gather information further ignored by Ubuntu does not compare to the time it takes for me to hit the power button and go feed the Dog.

Unforunately that looks like my next move because I'm not sticking with pure Ubuntu.
                      You can try archlinux It tends to work way better then Ubuntu IF you are willing to spend the time to configure nearly everything yourself.

As for the bug stuff. I sadly encoutered the exact same in both Gnome and Ubuntu bug trackers. Now i know they are probably lacking man power but it does feel frustrating when they simply ask to update your issue because they where lazy enough to not look at all open bugs before releasing a new version.

Archlinux always responds fast on bug reports. As for KDE. You can be sure that your bug does get read but you might not get a reply fast although always faster then the gnome bug tracker.

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
                        You can try archlinux It tends to work way better then Ubuntu IF you are willing to spend the time to configure nearly everything yourself.

As for the bug stuff. I sadly encoutered the exact same in both Gnome and Ubuntu bug trackers. Now i know they are probably lacking man power but it does feel frustrating when they simply ask to update your issue because they where lazy enough to not look at all open bugs before releasing a new version.

Archlinux always responds fast on bug reports. As for KDE. You can be sure that your bug does get read but you might not get a reply fast although always faster then the gnome bug tracker.
                        I'll look at it. I did the Gentoo thing for 5 years, I went with Ubuntu because I got tired of configuring things and wanted things to just work with semi-reasonable defaults so I didn't spend two weeks getting a working desktop.

Comment

@locovaca,
                          Ubuntu is all about "Let's take verything we want that's out there and empty that duct tape reserve we gathered during the Cold War.

As it obviously the graphic driver department's door you need to knock on, you could also just press the Alt key to see the power dow. button in Gnome.

BTW the graphics department is working hard on getting everything set up and they are aware of the problems/holes that need to be fixed/filled. I know that there's a suspend problem with my HD5470 in my laptop and it already works 50% of the time on Fedora 14 so you might simply be lucky with the next Ubuntu/Fedora release. BTW why not use Fedora? It's more bleeding edge.

Comment

The other day I was trying out a daily live CD of Ubuntu Natty, setting aside that it's still in alpha status and a lot of apps were crashing, the way they botched up the UI with Unity and global menu is just terrible. So I might have to take another serious look at gnome-shell. I wish they'd provide a live CD with latest gnome-shell + kernel + mesa though, so people could give it a spin. I hate compiling stuff myself.

Comment

Hopefully future versions of Gnome 3 will add back in some of the functionality they are removing. It's all well and good to innovate with the interface to make it more intuitive, but it isn't reasonable to assume that your new paradigm is the way everyone will want to use their computer. Making your software uncomfortable for its current users will not attract new ones. Any truly successful desktop needs to have broad appeal, and strike a balance where new users can get started actually using their computer but experienced ones don't have to migrate to other platforms to make it work the way they want.

Just because I don't want to spend hours reading my car's manual and fine-tuning the engine doesn't mean I don't want to adjust the seat and mirrors.

Comment

Working...
                              X