Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unity Desktop Possibly Coming To Fedora

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Unity Desktop Possibly Coming To Fedora

    Phoronix: Unity Desktop Possibly Coming To Fedora

    Adam Williamson has shared that he's looking at packaging Canonical's Unity desktop for Fedora. "Why? Well, a few reasons. Mainly, Unity‚??s an interesting project. I want to look at it and compare it to GNOME Shell and I think quite a few others do too, so it seems nice to package it so you can run both on Fedora. I don‚??t really want to maintain an Ubuntu install just to test Unity (can‚??t do it in a KVM VM as it requires compositing support). Also, though, I think it‚??ll do a bit to help keep everyone honest: if other projects show interest in providing Unity as an option for people to use, it increases the motivation for Unity's developers to make sure it can be easily built without non-upstreamed changes. Hopefully it also increases the motivation for upstream projects to work with the Unity developers to get their changes merged. It's the same for any project, really ‚?? if you have a wide base of users of a project across many distributions, it gives everyone involved a reason to work to make sure it's easy to maintain the project across distributions."..

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODg2OA

  • #2
    Why not? All open source software should be packaged, IMO.

    Comment


    • #3
      Someone should really switch the forums to UTF-8, those charset problems are very embarrassing for a tech site.

      Comment


      • #4
        Does anyone know if it's possible to port gnome-panel applets to Unity's panel?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
          Does anyone know if it's possible to port gnome-panel applets to Unity's panel?
          Not possible. GNOME's panel is written in C, Unity is written in Vala, and GNOME Shell is written mostly in JavaScript. Applets of one GUI cannot (currently at least) be used in any of the other two without rewriting the applets from scratch.
          Maybe in the future at least Unity and GNOME Shell will have some common plug-in interface.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hmm, are you sure? I've found this wiki which seems to indicate the possibility of running C programs.

            Comment


            • #7
              My bad, that's for gnome-panel. Although I've heard Unity can use AppIndicators.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                Someone should really switch the forums to UTF-8, those charset problems are very embarrassing for a tech site.
                It can't be any more embarrassing than a Linux site using Flash to stream video..

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  It can't be any more embarrassing than a Linux site using Flash to stream video..
                  DRMed Silverlight video would be....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    would be kind of funny seeing fedora with unity.

                    i wonder if the ubuntu guys really want their new interface appearing everywhere...

                    i dont think i would like fedora having it by default..

                    well am sure fedora can offer help, just like with wayland, btrfs, etc. they love playing with everything new.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                      Phoronix: Unity Desktop Possibly Coming To Fedora
                      It is only going to be packaged, it is not going to be in the default install. The title is a bit sensationalist.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        What's with all the re-inventions of panels, desktop icons and applets, OSD notification, etc anyway?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by not.sure View Post
                          What's with all the re-inventions of panels, desktop icons and applets, OSD notification, etc anyway?
                          Clean up the mess, ready it for 2010 usage. Nothing wrong with that, actually Ubuntu is doing great stuff.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Actually, I don't think that this fragmentation is going to do any good to GNOME. It would be better for the project if they got GNOME Shell working and working well, and then present a standardised, sane, stable desktop to compete with KDE.

                            There is a danger that soon the only thing different GNOME installations have in common is GTK.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                              Actually, I don't think that this fragmentation is going to do any good to GNOME. It would be better for the project if they got GNOME Shell working and working well, and then present a standardised, sane, stable desktop to compete with KDE.

                              There is a danger that soon the only thing different GNOME installations have in common is GTK.
                              I think both Unity and Gnome Shell are doing great. And I also think that within a year or two after the first stable releases in around April 2011, we will probably see a favourite out of the two that people will concentrate on so don't worry.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X