Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE 4.6 Beta 1 Is Here With Fun New Features

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KDE 4.6 Beta 1 Is Here With Fun New Features

    Phoronix: KDE 4.6 Beta 1 Is Here With Fun New Features

    Like Linux gamers, KDE users have a reason to be thankful today and that's because KDE Software Compilation 4.6 Beta 1 is now available. This six-month update to the KDE desktop stack includes revamped activities in the Plasma Desktop, major search improvements within the Dolphin File Manager, improved mobile device support, and Kontact is now based on Akonadi...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODgyNw

  • #2
    There's a small typo in the article:
    The final release of KDE Software Compilation 2.6 will come at the end of January.
    Should be 4.6

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by sevens View Post
      There's a small typo in the article:


      Should be 4.6
      Oh it's not a typo. In a GNOME-like effort to avoid confusing users, KDE is part of a movement to have all software sport the same version. Since the kernel is at the center of everything, it only makes sense to use the same version number as the kernel, which is 2.6.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by siride View Post
        Oh it's not a typo. In a GNOME-like effort to avoid confusing users, KDE is part of a movement to have all software sport the same version. Since the kernel is at the center of everything, it only makes sense to use the same version number as the kernel, which is 2.6.
        And somewhere in the future they will start numbering releases by the year number: KDE 2012 Pro \m/

        Back on topic: Theoretically when everything in KDE is using akonadi one can use an external mysql server to store it's data. This should help when reinstalling the OS, or when there is need to have this information available in more than one computer. At least that's the main advantage I see in akonadi for me.

        Comment


        • #5
          This can help convincing users switch to Thuderbird too
          I already did it and I think I will never use kmail again
          It just sucks too hard with IMAP.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

          Comment


          • #6
            the activities thing (in other words: multi desktops) is just too unintuitive.

            They should make it more intuitive like on mobile OSs

            Comment


            • #7
              You don't need activities for multiple desktops.

              Only if you want different widgets, background, panels, etc. on different desktops.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                This can help convincing users switch to Thuderbird too
                I already did it and I think I will never use kmail again
                It just sucks too hard with IMAP.
                You're talking about kmail1 or kmail2? (second one is using akonadi)

                I have had no real issues with kmail1 and IMAP, and I'm looking forward alot to the new-and-improved kmail2

                Comment


                • #9
                  Finally the old hal is replaced in KDE!
                  That was the last project moving from hal.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by accumulator View Post
                    I have had no real issues with kmail1 and IMAP, and I'm looking forward alot to the new-and-improved kmail2
                    I hope they make a decent HTML composer. I don't have any real issues with KMail, except for the atrocious html composing support. If that is fixed then I won't be looking for a new email client since I really like the kontact suite.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by accumulator View Post
                      You're talking about kmail1 or kmail2? (second one is using akonadi)

                      I have had no real issues with kmail1 and IMAP, and I'm looking forward alot to the new-and-improved kmail2
                      Speaking of which: Is there any kmail left that can run without mysql&akonadi? Or do we actually really have to install trinity for that?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                        This can help convincing users switch to Thuderbird too
                        Thunderbirds sucks balls. It integrates with nothing. It sucks with KDE's Desktop, it sucks with GNONE, it sucks with Mac OS X, and it also sucks with Windows. With the exception of tabs, updated button themes, and ports to newer Gecko versions, TB is stagnating since 6 years.

                        Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                        It just sucks too hard with IMAP.
                        You're making things up. KMail works very nice with IMAP. I have set up KMail with three IMAP accounts without any problems.

                        Originally posted by not.sure View Post
                        Speaking of which: Is there any kmail left that can run without mysql&akonadi? Or do we actually really have to install trinity for that?
                        Trinity is a mess. Two programmers and one or two packagers trying to maintain a whole desktop environment is insane.
                        I use Kontact 4.4.7 with KDE Platfrom 4.5.3 and Akonadi isn't cauing any problems. Using an actual database for accessing the stored information is the only logical way in this era.

                        Originally posted by madjr View Post
                        the activities thing (in other words: multi desktops) is just too unintuitive.

                        They should make it more intuitive like on mobile OSs
                        I'm sure the Plasma team would be thankful for any constructive input.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
                          Thunderbirds sucks balls. It integrates with nothing. It sucks with KDE's Desktop, it sucks with GNONE, it sucks with Mac OS X, and it also sucks with Windows. With the exception of tabs, updated button themes, and ports to newer Gecko versions, TB is stagnating since 6 years.
                          One thing it does have over the others is that it is truly crossplatform. As for as issues with it I personally have next to zero issues with T-bird and I like that I can use the same db across all bootable OS's installed on my system.

                          I use Kontact 4.4.7 with KDE Platfrom 4.5.3 and Akonadi isn't cauing any problems. Using an actual database for accessing the stored information is the only logical way in this era.
                          I agree that a real dbase is the only real solution even though mySQL is a bit of overkill on a engine choice. I can see why they use it however as it is more then likely already running for other applications as well.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                            One thing it does have over the others is that it is truly crossplatform. As for as issues with it I personally have next to zero issues with T-bird and I like that I can use the same db across all bootable OS's installed on my system.
                            Why share the same offline data through different operating systems? Just store everything on the mail server and use IMAP.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X