Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Developers Discuss Merging Libraries With Qt

Phoronix: KDE Developers Discuss Merging Libraries With Qt

Well, here's some interesting weekend news: there's a polarized discussion taking place right now among core KDE developers about merging the KDE libraries into upstream Qt. Cornelius Schumacher, a long-time German KDE developer and currently the KDE e.V. president, has come out yesterday saying, "Let's merge Qt and the KDE development platform. Let's put all KDE libraries, support libraries, platform modules into Qt, remove the redundancies in Qt, and polish it into one nice consistent set of APIs, providing both, the wonderful KDE integration, consistency and convenience, as well as the simplicity and portability of the Qt platform."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would merging them not create a big mess, where you will be tangled up in libraries?

Comment

Sounds nice at first, but definitely will result in major major breakage as these libs get reorganized/merged in with the QT libraries. This should be done as an experimental build first to work out the kinks then be implemented in a future KDE release.

Wouldn't merging KDE libs into QT cause potential licensing issues?

Comment

It's nice and all that they are so passionately debating it, but isn't it completely pointless until they at least know that upstream would consider it. I mean merging back always requires two parties acceptance, so if Nokia says no, it's a no-go. So I don't understand why the make all this fuss about it, if they don't even know what the other "side" thinks.

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
          It's nice and all that they are so passionately debating it, but isn't it completely pointless until they at least know that upstream would consider it. I mean merging back always requires two parties acceptance, so if Nokia says no, it's a no-go. So I don't understand why the make all this fuss about it, if they don't even know what the other "side" thinks.
          Absolutely! As QT is owned by Nokia, Nokia will definitely need to be involved in such discussions at all levels. If they support this, then it'll then be much much easier

Comment

IMO Qt is too big already. Tagging in another 100mb of KDE libs is not going to improve things.

Comment

It is funny. When in another old thread i said that KDE is just a tech demo from Qt developers designed to showcase Qt's abilities, many people said that i do not know what i am talking about... That this is FUD. Well... explain this smart guys... For this discussion to even happen, it proves my point...

Sure, KDE is a community project. Sure, some people from all over the world contribute to it. But it's core team that drives it, is from Trolltech. Trolltech points, they follow. It is that simple.

Imagine if the GNOME guys talked about merging gtk3 libs with GNOME libs...

PS: I use KDE now myself. The bugs that plagued me in the past are fixed, and it is reasonably stable now. I got bored with GNOME 2.32 showing no progress and made the switch. I also joined the Greek localization team of KDE to provide some translations. Just noting it just in case someone calls me troll or fanboy again...

Comment

@Michael thank you for not choosing a misleading title

I think the general idea is a good one but not really possible to get to in "one" go.. I think the kdelibs (and kdepimlibs) first need to be seperated in smaller managable Qt modules. Once that's done the steps aren't far to merge to Qt, but even then there will just always be KDE parts that just won't suit Qt thus they will have to remain in separate Qt modules.

Also recently Qt posted a blog message indicating they what to be more modular : http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2010/10/26/...going-modular/ so for that i think it would be wise to go with modules for now and not merging.

My guess is that in the end some Qt KDE modules are created with the parts that simply don't fit or belong to Qt and the rest might get merged.

Don't forget that this idea requires 2 parties to agree! KDE and Qt!

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                  It is funny. When in another old thread i said that KDE is just a tech demo from Qt developers designed to showcase Qt's abilities, many people said that i do not know what i am talking about... That this is FUD. Well... explain this smart guys... For this discussion to even happen, it proves my point...

Sure, KDE is a community project. Sure, some people from all over the world contribute to it. But it's core team that drives it, is from Trolltech. Trolltech points, they follow. It is that simple.

Imagine if the GNOME guys talked about merging gtk3 libs with GNOME libs...
                  You are so wrong now.
                  Here is how it really works.
                  SOME KDE developers are SPONSORED by Qt and some other KDE developers work for Qt. Or you can turn it the other way around. Some Qt developers also work on KDE. But it's certainly not the case that Qt points and KDE leads.. hell no! Remember phonon? It was developed by KDE devs and adapted by Qt because it was simply good.

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                  PS: I use KDE now myself. The bugs that plagued me in the past are fixed, and it is reasonably stable now. I got bored with GNOME 2.32 showing no progress and made the switch. I also joined the Greek localization team of KDE to provide some translations. Just noting it just in case someone calls me troll or fanboy again...
                  Bugs.. hehe digg some deeper there are a lot more then you know ^_^

Comment

Considering that KDE is completely dependent on QT this proposal only makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                    X