Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop To Get Rid Of GNOME's Shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
    In Ubuntu's defence they are trying to be an entry level linux distro for converting windows users. Maybe creating a special ultra user friendly shell (If that is their ultimate goal) will help create the distro for that purpose. I'd imagine they will be facing big competion from meego at some point.
    That's the problem! Unity ISN'T user friendly. You got the Meego part right. And it's not "at some point", it's now. Meego is way much better at being user friendly than Unity. I'm not sure about this, but if it is possible to install software on Meego from opensuse repositories, ubuntu looses its primary advantage.

Persuading people to switch from windows, now that windows is finally a good OS, will take a neat, slick and user friendly interface designed to course minimum confusion at every point.
    Oh... I didn't realize they stopped making virus, malware, spyware and all that shit for windows now so you don't need third-party software in order to feel more secure just browsing the web and installing programs. I also didn't notice its file system becoming more reliable and faster and not suffering from loss of performance due to file fragmentation, not to mention more secure with a proper security model. When did it stop using 1GB of ram and 15GB of disk space just for the OS alone? Anyway, I don't care about windows users switching to linux. I hope they don't. I like my OS virus/crap free and I also like being able to say "Sorry, I can't help you because I haven't used windows in a long time and don't remember" when my friends have a problem with their computer.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
      That's the problem! Unity ISN'T user friendly. You got the Meego part right. And it's not "at some point", it's now. Meego is way much better at being user friendly than Unity. I'm not sure about this, but if it is possible to install software on Meego from opensuse repositories, ubuntu looses its primary advantage.
      Yes unity is not ready yet, but ubuntu does like to release things early then fix it a few distros later. Meego will really take off when its on lots of peoples phones and everyone knows about it. I'm sure Ubuntu knows that days coming soon.

Originally posted by devius View Post
      Oh... I didn't realize they stopped making virus, malware, spyware and all that shit for windows now so you don't need third-party software in order to feel more secure just browsing the web and installing programs. I also didn't notice its file system becoming more reliable and faster and not suffering from loss of performance due to file fragmentation, not to mention more secure with a proper security model. When did it stop using 1GB of ram and 15GB of disk space just for the OS alone? Anyway, I don't care about windows users switching to linux. I hope they don't. I like my OS virus/crap free and I also like being able to say "Sorry, I can't help you because I haven't used windows in a long time and don't remember" when my friends have a problem with their computer.
      Obviously I prefer Linux an choose to be a Linux user. I do realise I'm asking for criticism saying anything positive about windows on a linux forum but.... God dam it I just can't hold it in!!!... I LOVE WINDOWS 7's WALLPAPERS! especially the character ones!! I tried nicking them for my kde desktop but they just didn't look at home like they do on wondows!!

Comment

God dam it I just can't hold it in!!!... I LOVE WINDOWS 7's WALLPAPERS! especially the character ones!! I tried nicking them for my kde desktop but they just didn't look at home like they do on wondows!!
        Go on... let it all out We won't tell anyone. What I do like about windows is the fact that every software and hardware company on earth supports it. As for the OS itself, I'm so used to linux by now that having to use windows to do anything feels like a chore: "What??? I can't just enter 'sftp://myserver.com' on the address bar of the file browser to access my home server?? I need a third-party program for that?? AND I have to use the web to find one because there's no package manager??". It also sucks that it can't access any other filesystem apart from FAT and NTFS.

Comment

Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
          Stop making bullshit up. I use openSUSE on different PCs since 10.3, two of them with NVidia GPU (one with Radeon) and never were the NVidia drivers from the official repository causing kernel panics.
          Heeding your nice advice, I tried once more OpenSUSE, and I found some little surprises.

1. I couldn't print, even after trying to compile cups and gutenprint. Fedora 14, OTOH, printed flawlessly.
          2. I was terribly wrong, NVIDIA doesn't segfault anymore to the console. It makes the entire KDE desktop segfault instead! How great!

So please, stop recommending OpenSUSE. It is a complete disaster. Proven once more!

Comment

i had other problems with opensuse
            kde-
            restart = restart
            shut down = restart
            hibernate= restart
            suspend = restart

gnome-
            restart = nothing
            shut down = nothing
            hibernate= nothing
            suspend = nothing
            + ugly look

gnome under ubuntu looks very good, very nice themed etc

no more opensuse for me

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
              Heeding your nice advice, I tried once more OpenSUSE, and I found some little surprises.
              So please, stop recommending OpenSUSE. It is a complete disaster. Proven once more!
              It's not a disaster for me. I had the opposite experience with Fedora vs openSUSE, where Fedora 13 was giving me lots of problems on my server so I changed it to openSUSE and now everything works flawlessly. I would recommend that someone with problems with one distro to try out another one. 'Tis the way of linux... you never know what to expect despite the many negative or positive comments a distro gets.

Comment

Working...
              X