Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice Is The New OpenOffice.org

Phoronix: LibreOffice Is The New OpenOffice.org

Thanks to Oracle, not only is OpenSolaris now dead along with other open-source projects previously funded by Sun Microsystems now facing hardship, but the OpenOffice.org community has now decided to part ways too. The OpenOffice.org community has decided to launch The Document Foundation as a new, independent organization. The Document Foundation will now be backing "LibreOffice" as the brand rather than OpenOffice.org...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODYzNg

Why didn't they called their foundation The LibreOffice Foundation?

Comment

Based on my understanding, Oracle has been invited to participate in the new foundation as well (hopefully they will donate the OpenOffice brand/trademarks)

It would certainly be nice if Phoronix would offer more balanced, accurate reporting... or at least stop sounding like they have a grudge against pretty well everyone.

The foundation is an opportunity for OpenOffice to re-ignite a positive community around itself, perhaps a great opportunity for Phoronix to re-invent itself and grow as well.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
        Why didn't they called their foundation The LibreOffice Foundation?
        Perhaps to keep open the possibility of being more than just LibreOffice.

Comment

Why they don't keep the name LibreOffice there is nothing wrong with it.

Hopefully Novell won't introduce patented stuff with their patches. They have been doing a lot of mono lately.

Comment

"LibreOffice"... My God. As far as names go, this one is just awful. Ask non-English speakers to pronounce that.

Comment

Great, just openoffice is getting more widely known among the less technically inclined, let's change the name. What a wonderful idea.

Comment

The name is like "LabiaOffice", that's just awkward

Time to go back to MS Office 2010!

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post

Well if decide that just because of a name change then this tells more about you then the new name.

What will happen with GO OpenOffice?

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post

You go back because of the name?

Comment

Originally posted by Craig73 View Post
                      Based on my understanding, Oracle has been invited to participate in the new foundation as well (hopefully they will donate the OpenOffice brand/trademarks)
                      I seriously doubt Oracle is donating anything. I hope I'm proven wrong though.

Comment

I would be more curious as to what inspired this. They say nice words, but... Why now? Why walk away from a brand that was finally beginning to gain traction?

It is hard to escape a worrying feeling that this is mainly to spite Oracle, which is the worst possible reason for it.

Comment

I like this news.
                          I think Google is among key factors here because it knows what Oracle has in mind (the patents from Sun, then suing Google, then preparing software that will hijack the current state of openoffice and Java etc etc).
                          So I'm sure this has been discussed "behind the scenes" by Google with Canonical and the likes and when enough open-source players teamed up with Google it was released not as Google's "coup" but as a "spontaneous movement" which key players happen to favour.
                          I don't ask anyone to believe this, I know it's easy to spell "conspiracy theory", "crazy" or the likes, please don't bother.

Comment

Easy ppl.

Oracle isn't livin' up to a FLOSS community member dream company. They've killed openSolaris already and no one can be certain that they would not proprietarize MySQL, VBox or OpenOffice.

I guess that developers that were working on OO for a decade have a better understanding of the situation and surroundings in which OO developement take place, so they have a very good reason to do this.

I wouldn't submit a two-liner piece of code to a project that could be sold in the future. Yes, LGPL blah blah, they can pack it with a stupid feature that they would charge for 100$ along with LGPL'ed code.

Along with proper support from companies like Novell, Google, Canonical etc that project could be OUR office suite of choice for the future.

People are trying to secure that OpenOffice and code that many of them wrote themselves stay free for our benefit, and you have a problem with that ?

Vote! http://www.petitionspot.com/petition...mentfoundation

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
                              I would be more curious as to what inspired this. They say nice words, but... Why now? Why walk away from a brand that was finally beginning to gain traction?

It is hard to escape a worrying feeling that this is mainly to spite Oracle, which is the worst possible reason for it.
                              It's not so much to spite Oracle, but a feeling that Oracle would kill openoffice.org (intentionally or through incompetance/apathy) if it were left solely with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X