Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Patches To Improve Linux Desktop Responsiveness

Phoronix: More Patches To Improve Linux Desktop Responsiveness

About one month ago we reported on the emergence of patches that may fix the Linux desktop responsiveness problems, which is an issue that's been experienced by many Linux desktop users in recent years. For Linux users it may take many seconds for a menu to appear when clicking on it or a half-minute to do a VT switch, but fortunately it's becoming a thing of the past with these patches working well for many users and has since been integrated into the mainline Linux kernel. The story though is not over as even more patches have just been published to further improve the Linux desktop responsiveness...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODU0OQ

Sounds hawt.

Comment

Oooh, much nicer than that insane BFS scheduler that Breaks Frikkin Sooomuch.

Comment

I wonder if this will help me launch system-monitor when gnash-plugin decides to consume 4 gigs of RAM in some tab I'm not viewing.

Comment

Nokia fixes, Google fixes, nice what's next, maybe more games and we're set, like Amnesia, maybe i will get better GPU just for this.

Comment

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...st/031078.html

And Italian fixes as well.. I am getting more hopefully about this desktop Linux thing I have been suffering the last decade.

Comment

2.6.37 will probably be the most interesting kernel since years. VFS patches and now this. Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
                I wonder if this will help me launch system-monitor when gnash-plugin decides to consume 4 gigs of RAM in some tab I'm not viewing.
                I doubt someone considers something like this like a typical desktop workload to optimize the scheduler for gnash.

Comment

Finally! There should be more effort put into the desktop responsiveness. It's the one problem that gives new Linux users that feel of "slowness".

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    I doubt someone considers something like this like a typical desktop workload to optimize the scheduler for gnash.
                    well, other parts of the kernel might need optimization for that, too

anyways: it perfectly plays webradio (streaming) and youtube on HD (e.g. the Harry Potter trailer) with a average load of 28.30 (kernel compilation) - that's with an core i7 860 (4 cores x 2 threads [HT]), there's also noticable but tolerable slowing down of the desktop effects but it still works

so from my POV: great work !

Comment

reminding of this (xkcd)

this patchset might be the missing puzzle-piece for "smooth full-screen flash video"

I haven't tested full-screen flash yet

another important part is that Adobe implements video-acceleration

perhaps the easiest would be to use openGL ES 2.0 ? (I don't know if that even would work)

Comment

ok, HD video seems to work fine (beautifully), too

in fullscreen with new catalyst 10.8 and almost no GPU load

try the following video *click*

make sure you select 720p

you might need to force hardware acceleration:

Originally posted by /etc/adobe/mms.cfg
                        #
                        # /etc/adobe/mms.cfg: Adobe Flash privacy and security settings
                        #
                        # For more details on the meaning of most of these options, please visit:
                        # http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashpla...min_guide.html
                        #

# Lets you prevent users from designating any files on the local file system as
                        # trusted
                        # 0 = Not Allowed, 1 = Allowed (default)
                        #AllowUserLocalTrust = 1

# Lets you specify a hard limit on the amount of local storage that Flash Player
                        # uses for the storage of common Flash components
                        # Size in megabytes (default is 20), 0 = Component storage disabled
                        #AssetCacheSize = 20

# Lets you prevent Flash Player from automatically checkingfor and installing
                        # updated versions
                        # 0 = Not Disabled (default), 1 = Disabled
                        AutoUpdateDisable = 1

# Lets you specify how often to check for an updated version of Flash Player
                        # Number of days, 0 = Every startup
                        # There is no default value, which falls back to the user's setting (30 days by
                        # default)
                        #AutoUpdateInterval =

# Lets you prevent SWF files from accessing webcams or microphones
                        AVHardwareDisable = 1

# Lets you prevent information on installed fonts from being displayed
                        #DisableDeviceFontEnumeration = 0

# Lets you prevent networking or file system access if any kind
                        # Set to the executable filename, default is empty
                        #DisableNetworkAndFilesystemInHostApp =

# Lets you prevent native code applications that are digitally signed and
                        # delivered by Adobe from being downloaded
                        #DisableProductDownload = 0

# Lets you enable or disable the use of the Socket.connect() and
                        # XMLSocket.connect() methods
                        #DisableSockets = 0

# Lets you create a whitelist of servers to which socket connections are allowed
                        # Set to hostname or IP address. This can be specified multiple times in this
                        # file to allow more than one host, and only takes effect if DisableSockets
                        # (above) is set to 1.
                        #EnableSocketsTo = localhost.localdomain
                        #EnableSocketsTo = 127.0.0.1

# Lets you prevent the ActionScript FileReference API from performing file
                        # downloads
                        #FileDownloadDisable = 0

# Lets you prevent the ActionScript FileReference API from prerforming file
                        # uploads
                        #FileUploadDisable = 0

# Lets you disable SWF files playing via a browser plug-in from being displayed
                        # in full-screen mode
                        #FullScreenDisable = 0

# Lets you specify whether SWF files produced for Flash Player 6 and earlier can
                        # execute an operation that has been restricted in a newer version of Flash
                        # Player
                        # 0 = Deny, 1 = Allow
                        # There is no default value, which falls back to the user's setting (Defaults to
                        # "Ask"
                        #LegacyDomainMatching =

# Lets you specify how Flash Player should determine whether to execute certain
                        # local SWF files that were originally produced for Flash Player 7 and earlier
                        # 0 = Deny, 1 = Allow
                        # There is no default value, which falls back to the user's setting
                        #LocalFileLegacyAction =

# Lets you prevent local SWF files from having read access to files on local
                        # drive
                        #LocalFileReadDisable = 0

# Lets you specify a hard limit on the amout of local storage that Flash Player
                        # uses (per domain) for persistent shared objects
                        # 1 = no storage, 2 = 10KB, 3 = 100KB, 4 = 1MB, 5 = 10MB,
                        # 6 = User specified (default)
                        # If the user does not specify a limit, the default is 100KB.
                        #LocalStorageLimit = 6

# Lets you override GPU validation checks to force hardware acceleration
                        # Warning: This may make your player (more) unstable!
                        # 0 = Check GPU (default), 1 = Skip checks
                        # More details:
                        # http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2...fg_file_1.html
                        OverrideGPUValidation = 1

# Lets you specify whether third-party SWF files can read and write locally
                        # persistent shared objects
                        # 0 = disabled, 1 = enabled
                        # There is no default value, which falls back to the user's setting
                        #ThirdPartyStorage =

# Lets you disable "Windowless" mode, which may cause crashes in firefox
                        # version 3.01 and earlier.
                        # More details:
                        # http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2..._mode_fix.html
                        #WindowlessDisable = 0

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
                          reminding of this (xkcd)

this patchset might be the missing puzzle-piece for "smooth full-screen flash video"
                          Smooth full-screen Flash video works here just fine with open display drivers on an ATi card. Just takes 32bit Adobe Flash on a 32bit Firefox.

Comment

ps. Fine, that video takes a lot of CPU in 720p but not enough to use even a single full core on E8500 and definitely not enough to make it kick the CPU fan on more rotations.

Comment

That video works perfectly fine and fluid in 720p fullscreen here with open source radeon driver and BFS scheduler :P

Comment

Working...
                              X