Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Common Compositing Window Manager Specification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Common Compositing Window Manager Specification

    Phoronix: A Common Compositing Window Manager Specification

    Martin Grä�lin, one of the KDE developers that works on the KWin window manager, when not working towards OpenGL 3.0 support for KWin in KDE SC 4.7 has been writing a draft specification for what he proposes as a unified specification for compositing window managers. Martin hopes for this to become a FreeDesktop.org specification and that KWin/Plasma, Compiz, and other compositing window managers would implement this common specification...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODUwNw

  • #2
    This is definitely a good idea.

    Comment


    • #3
      This is great. Standardisation doesn't always have to mean 1 solution.

      Comment


      • #4
        Very nice idea.

        Comment


        • #5
          very reasonable and reduces unnecessary duplicate work

          Comment


          • #6
            Great idea. Put it in an envelope, stick it in the time machine and send it back a few years.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DanL View Post
              Great idea. Put it in an envelope, stick it in the time machine and send it back a few years.
              Great idea. Let's produce the optimal specs recursively by making a new version o fthe specs, putting it in an envelope and sending it back a few years. We should be getting the best possible standard that way about... now. \o/

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: A Common Compositing Window Manager Specification

                Martin Grä�lin, one of the KDE developers that works on the KWin window manager, when not working towards OpenGL 3.0 support for KWin in KDE SC 4.7 has been writing a draft specification for what he proposes as a unified specification for compositing window managers. Martin hopes for this to become a FreeDesktop.org specification and that KWin/Plasma, Compiz, and other compositing window managers would implement this common specification...

                http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODUwNw
                Brilliant move!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  This move should be the standard in Linux development. Give a common and uniform specification and then derive the software from it. This would incredibly help common work and reduce unnedeed duplicate work.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by blackshard View Post
                    This move should be the standard in Linux development. Give a common and uniform specification and then derive the software from it.
                    The proposed specification is based on KWin/Plasma interaction. So it's actually the other way around. I seriously doubt that this will become a standard as is.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                      The proposed specification is based on KWin/Plasma interaction. So it's actually the other way around. I seriously doubt that this will become a standard as is.
                      I meant, it would be useful for Opensource development if, for some important pieces of software, there would be a shared interface, maybe with a different implementation.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                        The proposed specification is based on KWin/Plasma interaction. So it's actually the other way around. I seriously doubt that this will become a standard as is.
                        It is only the first draft, let's wait to see happens.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by blackshard View Post
                          This move should be the standard in Linux development. Give a common and uniform specification and then derive the software from it. This would incredibly help common work and reduce unnedeed duplicate work.
                          Oh no, that's no fun. It's much more entertaining to get a fledgling project going (Compiz), start bickering on IRC and listservs about minor functionality and direction, fork (Beryl), go a half of a year and then kiss and makeup, then spend another year merging the changes back in (Compiz Fusion).

                          Open source needs it soap operas. We need the existing development model!

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X