Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE SC 4.5 Just Got Hit With A One-Week Delay

Phoronix: KDE SC 4.5 Just Got Hit With A One-Week Delay

If you've been waiting around today for the planned release of KDE Software Compilation 4.5, you can stop waiting. No, KDE SC 4.5 wasn't released nor will it be today, but its release has been pushed back by one week. Due to the amount of changes committed after the third release candidate of the KDE 4.5 desktop, it was found best by the release team to postpone this six-month update...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODQ3NA

KDE makes a nice desktop. Good for them. I wish more distros shipped it by default rather than Gnome. Not that I have anything against gnome, it's just the lopsided "market share" given how good KDE really is.

Comment

Yeah, it's like Windows vs Linux. Even if Windows sucks, it has the market share because it's commercially more viable. Just like Gnome vs KDE

Comment

Any one knows the release schedule of Qt 4.7? Is that public?

Comment

Qt 4.7 Release Schedule

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
          Any one knows the release schedule of Qt 4.7? Is that public?
          the only thing I can find about Qt 4.7 release is that RC1 will be tagged on August 5th and that probably another RC will follow. More here

Comment

Good thing. No need to rush, and people did notice a couple of showstoppers in RC3. Good to see that they will take the release seriously.

KDE 4 is finally starting to live up to its full potential. This release will be epic.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              KDE 4 is finally starting to live up to its full potential. This release will be epic.
              Is Akonadi finally ready?

There were so many bugs with Akonadi/KDEPIM when using a Kolab server or an IMAP adressbook in KDE 4.4. Akonadi seems to be the last, big construction site, so I really hope that this release finally has full Akonadi support.

Comment

Originally posted by Smorg View Post
                KDE makes a nice desktop. Good for them. I wish more distros shipped it by default rather than Gnome. Not that I have anything against gnome, it's just the lopsided "market share" given how good KDE really is.
                KDE is much more deployed than you think. 50 million Brazilian students use/are going to use variation of Debian/Kubuntu. 1 million desktops are sold there too with KDE each year. Also there're very big deployments in India. Chinese Red Flag also uses KDE which is the most popular distro there and so on... In the end KDE is pretty darn popular just because it's not default in Ubuntu doesn't mean it's not popular

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Yeah, it's like Windows vs Linux. Even if Windows sucks, it has the market share because it's commercially more viable. Just like Gnome vs KDE
                  From my understanding, KDE used to have the lionshare of the Linux desktop market in the US. That changed with KDE 4.0.0, because people started to adopt it before it was ready for mainstream use.

Comment

This is awesome and I can't wait, but am I the only one who's still thinking with every new release about the one things that is totaly out of alignment? Where the fsck is that freakin' Raptor menu? Is it still not there? I mean come on! You'd think the entire KDE team would have been on it at least three releases back!

And of all the things I do not like about Gnome; the one thing that I did like was the fact that they got the notifications right, so I realy hope that the reworked notification part is what I hope it is.

Other than those two things I am very happy that KDE is continuing the KDE4 series. I hope they will for a very, very, very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Smorg View Post
                      So when you say KDE is good, do you mean Plasma finally stops segfaulting all the time with 4.5?

Comment

Plasma hasn't segfaulted for years here. Then again, I don't do fancy stuff, just a couple of widgets and hiding panels.

"All the time" sounds extreme. Have you reported a bug?

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
                          From my understanding, KDE used to have the lionshare of the Linux desktop market in the US. That changed with KDE 4.0.0, because people started to adopt it before it was ready for mainstream use.
                          You understand wrong.
                          Red Hat has always been the leading Linux distributor in the US and ever since GNOME exists, Red Hat defaults to it (still applies to Fedora).
                          In turn GNOME probably always had more users in the US.

The situation was different in Europe with both Mandrake/Mandriva and SUSE defaulting to KDE's desktop.

This changed in 2004: Novell bought SUSE after it already bought the GNOME founder's company Ximian. With Ximian bought first its executives were put in charge of Linux operations at Novell. Needless to say one of their first orders was to kill KDE from SUSE Linux and replace it completely with GNOME. After uprising by its customers the plans were changed and KDE was kept intact, but degraded to an alternative option.
                          Considering that independent SUSE never had a strong standing in the US, those events didn't change the DE market share in the US much.
                          It did, however, make GNOME the de facto enterprise DE.

Also in 2004 the first version of Ubuntu was released which shook up the market shares a bit. Ubuntu didn't increase the overall user base of Linux (though Canonical claims that), but it shifted the share within the overall Linux market.

Later openSUSE was formed which defaults do KDE's desktop.
                          Thanks to Novell's involvement I wouldn't be surprised if that gained the recognition of KDE within the non-enterprise user base.
                          Also Fedora has a well respected KDE “spin” which is promoted quite well. This should've increased KDE's US reputation as well.

And then there's Debian. God who knows what its users are actually using. Repo statistics suggest that GNOME may have the lead, but considering that even simple things like nm-applet carry a bunch of GNOME dependencies and KNetworkManager4 wasn't usable for quite some time, those statistics are influenced by such cases.
                          I use KDE Plasma, but I also use nm-applet, in the past I used Brasero (when K3b was still alpha), I use Firefox, and so on.

KDE 4.0.0 was never ever laid the hands of actual users. Never. KDE only releases source code packages which are then distributed to users by – you guessed it – distributors.

All major distributions except Fedora-KDE stayed with KDE 3.5. Only Fedora switched to some 4.0.x release, but Fedora isn't targeted at users anyway, but developers and alike.

And there is also one player that gets overlooked quite often: Xfce.
                          It's more or less a lightweight GNOME clone, eating away GNOME's market share.

I didn't see any newer statistics recently, but if I had to make an educated guess, I'd say that thanks to openSUSE's growth in the US, Fedora's better marketing for the KDE spin, and Xfce probably KDE's desktop has a slight lead over GNOME, but when combining the whole GTK camp (GNOME, Xfce, MeeGo Netbook, even LXDE), that one leads over the Qt camp which currently consists of KDE alone.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                            So when you say KDE is good, do you mean Plasma finally stops segfaulting all the time with 4.5?
                            Stop using Kubuntu or Arch and get a working distribution, like openSUSE.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsiolkovsky View Post
                              the only thing I can find about Qt 4.7 release is that RC1 will be tagged on August 5th and that probably another RC will follow. More here
                              Thank you for the info Tsiolkovsky!

Comment

Working...
                              X