KDE SC 4.7 May Utilize OpenGL 3.x For Compositing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Firefox has been ported to use a Qt frontend at least 3 times now and abandoned each time it started looking slightly promising.
    Yeah, too bad. I guess Nokia also abandoned porting when they started to just switch to WebKit-based browsers on their devices.

In a way, it's similar to OpenOffice, which does have a KDE 3 front-end, but not one for KDE 4 AFAIK.
    I'm running OOo 3.2.1 here on Gentoo and Mandriva and it appears to have KDE4 interface. Still some bugs here and there though.

If Nokia is really putting some weight behind it, then it might finally happen. Otherwise, there are webkit-based browsers like Arora, Konqueror and Rekonq.
    Nokia probably also just switched to WebKit-based browsers, no wonder since WebKit is part of Qt, so i guess they've also lost interest in Gecko/Firefox.

Comment

EDIT -- there seems to be a Qt4 frontend for OpenOffice now, which is great news, at least according to the Arch wiki:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/..._with_KDE_.3E4

Comment

I love these bold statements.

Every time I use a default Ubuntu GNOME desktop, I feel like I'm travelling 5 years back in time.
        Default ubuntu gnome is not default gnome from source. I tried to use kde 4.2 or 4.3 can't remember the version now. Whole gui is so damn ugly. Transparent copycat panel from windows vista, ugly icons. KDE is stuff created by geeks for geeks, who have no taste. Check this link http://www.kde.org/images/screenshots/konqueror.png and check the DEFAULT icons. God... so ugly, who could even create such an ugly icons? Default BLUE shadows, lol what were they thinking? Yes u can customize it, but default look is so ugly. I guess i should create my own blog to compare gui of gnome, osx and kde. Oh and copy/paste compiz code into kwin code is such an awesome idea

Comment

Your link doesn't work, and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Other than saying "ugly" 15 times, your post has no contents And KDE introduced the panel design now used by Gnome and Vista 11 years ago. It's hardly a copycat panel from vista.

Speaking of ugly "geeks for geeks", my designer gf refuses to use any GTK app as a matter of principle.

Comment

Firefox has been ported to use a Qt frontend at least 3 times now and abandoned each time it started looking slightly promising.

In a way, it's similar to OpenOffice, which does have a KDE 3 front-end, but not one for KDE 4 AFAIK.

If Nokia is really putting some weight behind it, then it might finally happen. Otherwise, there are webkit-based browsers like Arora, Konqueror and Rekonq.
            Chrome uses Gtk, but it manages to not look like trash in KDE. It looks the same as it does anywhere else, but the tools menu does look like normal Gtk in KDE.

Also, I'm using a black color scheme in KDE which works great, except some browsers like Firefox and Konqueror (IIRC) use my black theme to color text fields and buttons black, and if there is no explicit background color on a page it makes the background black. It's really annoying, but Chrome doesn't do that.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post

Also, I'm using a black color scheme in KDE which works great, except some browsers like Firefox and Konqueror (IIRC) use my black theme to color text fields and buttons black, and if there is no explicit background color on a page it makes the background black. It's really annoying, but Chrome doesn't do that.

I really hate that. Some other apps. also do it (some OpenOffice components for example). It also happens under GNOME though to some extent, so I guess it's more the fault of the particular app. rather than the DE. It's very annoying since I tend to like dark color themes, only latter to find out that some of my favorite apps. end up looking like crap and unusable because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
                Me three. It's one of the reasons that keeps me from using Opera 10.50+.

Comment

Originally posted by Koorac View Post
                  That's exactly what I'm doing
                  Haha, right!

@Phoen1x

Default ubuntu gnome is not default gnome from source. I tried to use kde 4.2 or 4.3 can't remember the version now. Whole gui is so damn ugly.
                  Default gnome looks like crap. KDE could improve application look like some people sugested in other threads, but overall, it looks whole better then others in my opinion. I love icons, desktop, wallpapers, theme. Masterpiece ;P

Comment

Originally posted by phoen1x View Post
                    Amature looking gui is ahead osx?
                    ROFL, excuse me? You know, ever loocked at the stacks in OS X? Realy... bending to the right/left? Mirrored docky? Compare iTunes to QuickTime X. Totally different window borders?

Give me fscking break. Even Windows 7's GUI is more advanced then OS X. Give me a fscking break!

Technology might be not bad, but the look of kde stuff is so damn ugly, they should hire REAL designers.
                    I am just going to put three screenshots in here and let them speak for themselves, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                      With KDE SC 4.7 is where we're looking at the KDE world to potentially begin tapping OpenGL 3.0 for a better compositing experience...
                      Hahaha, this is going to be fun. There already quite a lot of people having problems with KDE and their their graphics drivers, there have even been accusations of driver developers not caring about KDE. But now the KDE devs want to add even more bling-bling.

I can see a storm flood of bug reports coming in. Glad I'm not a driver dev. OTOH I would just do a NEW -> RESOLVED NOTOURBUG

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                        Hahaha, this is going to be fun. There already quite a lot of people having problems with KDE and their their graphics drivers, there have even been accusations of driver developers not caring about KDE. But now the KDE devs want to add even more bling-bling.

I can see a storm flood of bug reports coming in. Glad I'm not a driver dev. OTOH I would just do a NEW -> RESOLVED NOTOURBUG
                        KDE just wants to push ahead. The simple fact is that we are currently at OpenGL 4.1, OK? OpenGL 3.0 was released July 11 2008. That's a little more than 2 years ago.

If KDE wasn't going to switch to OpenGL 3.0 (don't forget the 2.1 fallback?) then people would be "Ah who cares nobody needs OpenGL 3.x anyway".

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                          Hahaha, this is going to be fun. There already quite a lot of people having problems with KDE and their their graphics drivers
                          You're talking about Nvidia drivers, no need to beat around the bush.

And these things are OK as long as there are reasonable fallbacks.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                            ROFL, excuse me? You know, ever loocked at the stacks in OS X? Realy... bending to the right/left? Mirrored docky? Compare iTunes to QuickTime X. Totally different window borders?

Give me fscking break. Even Windows 7's GUI is more advanced then OS X. Give me a fscking break!
                            Hahahah first of all it's not even osx screenshot, it's windows with lame osx "skin". Windows7 buy default look better. Gnome 3 is not even out yet and u picked oldest and ugliest screenshot? And kde still looks shitty. About docky stuff u should read phoronix article about glx-dock, lol that dock looks like shit from stone age compared to osx dock.

Comment

It's hard to argue with such strong logical arguments.

Comment

Beauty in the eye of the beholder...
                                Anyway, this thread was kind of interesting before it got overrun by "my desktop > yours" stuff. Keep on beating that dead horse!

Comment

Working...
                                X