Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine 1.2 Release Candidate 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wine 1.2 Release Candidate 2

    Phoronix: Wine 1.2 Release Candidate 2

    With Wine 1.2 planned for release in June, the first release candidate was made available last week and now this week we have another new release candidate...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODI5OA

  • #2
    too bad the Debian repo does not have any newer builds since 1.1.42 and i can't build this on my 64-bit machine as it does not detect the fontconfig-dev headers

    Comment


    • #3
      I hope they can get the DIB engine working before the final release

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Licaon View Post
        too bad the Debian repo does not have any newer builds since 1.1.42 and i can't build this on my 64-bit machine as it does not detect the fontconfig-dev headers
        Yeah and it's hilarious the fact that they created a different package called wine-unstable and that one is at version 1.1.42(the normal version of the package is so old that I'm not even sure it's still maintained)!

        Comment


        • #5
          I think only wine 1.0 and wine 1.2 are considered stable software by upstream. The other versions are considered to be unstable releases.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Licaon View Post
            too bad the Debian repo does not have any newer builds since 1.1.42 and i can't build this on my 64-bit machine as it does not detect the fontconfig-dev headers
            Works for me on squeeze. Do you actually have those headers?

            Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
            I hope they can get the DIB engine working before the final release
            That's not going to happen. We're currently in code freeze, which means only things like translations, tests, trivial bug fixes and regression fixes will enter the tree. As we'll get closer to release that will only get stricter. There won't be new features like a DIB engine between now and the final release. Aside from that, writing a DIB engine would be hard, and isn't much of a priority.

            Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
            I think only wine 1.0 and wine 1.2 are considered stable software by upstream. The other versions are considered to be unstable releases.
            Pretty much. The latest stable release is 1.0.1. The idea was to keep cherry picking patches to the stable branch after 1.0 was released, but the branches diverged pretty fast, and the stable branch never got much further than 1.0.1.

            Comment


            • #7
              I don't see any progress made on the "mouse is confined in an area" bug, and it seems to be quite a large bug that will require quite a lot of time to fix... Hopefully work on that will start soon, as it's in the blocker list.

              Well, at least there are only 73 bugs there compared to 84 before RC1, so that's progress. Although at that rate, the final Wine 1.2 will come after 1.2-RC16

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                I don't see any progress made on the "mouse is confined in an area" bug, and it seems to be quite a large bug that will require quite a lot of time to fix... Hopefully work on that will start soon, as it's in the blocker list.

                Well, at least there are only 73 bugs there compared to 84 before RC1, so that's progress. Although at that rate, the final Wine 1.2 will come after 1.2-RC16
                No they will release it with known bugs. They always do. Wine's history is a "fix 3 break 4" process.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  I don't see any progress made on the "mouse is confined in an area" bug, and it seems to be quite a large bug that will require quite a lot of time to fix... Hopefully work on that will start soon, as it's in the blocker list.
                  Yeah, that's a hard bug to fix, even with X Input 2 being available these days. I'm pretty sure that bug isn't supposed to be on the 1.2 milestone though.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Another borked release, getting access violation errors while trying to launch my apps. Downgraded back to the WINE 1.2 version that is in the lucid repos and everything is working fine now.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Henri View Post
                      Yeah, that's a hard bug to fix, even with X Input 2 being available these days. I'm pretty sure that bug isn't supposed to be on the 1.2 milestone though.
                      Oh, that's very sad... This bug effectively renders every single Unreal Engine game useless on Wine, and I'm mostly developing mods on that platform, so needless to say I can't switch to Linux permanently because of this... Ah well, the bug will be solved sooner or later, I guess.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by bugmenot2 View Post
                        Another borked release, getting access violation errors while trying to launch my apps. Downgraded back to the WINE 1.2 version that is in the lucid repos and everything is working fine now.
                        Sounds like an excellent opportunity to get acquainted with git bisect.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Henri View Post
                          Works for me on squeeze. Do you actually have those headers?
                          O RLY ?
                          i'd just git pulled all WINE as i do every once in a while to test this and i delete it every time because of this

                          ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
                          checking for -lfreetype... not found
                          configure: error: FreeType 32-bit development files not found. Fonts will not be built.
                          Use the --without-freetype option if you really want this.
                          dpkg --get-selections | grep libfreetype
                          libfreetype6 install
                          libfreetype6-dev install
                          so then i thought that since this is a 64bit system maybe i'm lacking the 32bit libs, right, so i compared the files libfreetype6-dev for amd64 and i386 and the only differences were the libfreetype.la and freetype2.pc files so i put them in the /usr/lib32 and /usr/lib32/pkgconfig and run ldconfig to no use

                          any other ideas ?

                          BTW, the Ubuntu-wine-ppa was updated on the day...eh...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            32-bit libfreetype should be in ia32-libs on Debian.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Henri View Post
                              32-bit libfreetype should be in ia32-libs on Debian.
                              libfreetype.so is but not libfreetype.a or .la

                              dpkg --get-selections | grep ia32
                              ia32-libs install
                              ia32-libs-gtk install
                              ll /usr/lib32/libfreetype*
                              Code:
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 564040 oct 15  2009 /usr/lib32/libfreetype.a ( i put it here from the 32bit -dev package just in case )
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root    947 oct 15  2009 /usr/lib32/libfreetype.la ( i put it here from the 32bit -dev package just in case )
                              lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     16 apr 30 19:14 /usr/lib32/libfreetype.so -> libfreetype.so.6
                              lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     21 apr 30 19:14 /usr/lib32/libfreetype.so.6 -> libfreetype.so.6.3.20
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 483556 iun  1  2009 /usr/lib32/libfreetype.so.6.3.20

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X